64 In Faith

How Do You See Yourself?

I have been in a little bit of a rut the last few days. For whatever reason, I have not been able to see myself as Christ sees me. I have found myself in some serious need of validation. It’s not that I am running around yelling, “Do you see me”, “Tell me I am worthy”, “Tell me what I do matters”, but I find that my heart is longing for it, craving it.

I have had to do some serious soul searching and ask the Lord why it hurt so much. When I first became a Christian, I craved value from others. I was so wounded that I could not see myself through the eyes of Christ, nor could I believe what His Word said about me. In my early days of ministry, I walked in a performance-based mentality in everything that I did. I never felt like I mattered much, and that no one “saw” what I did as important or valued. I am mature enough now to understand that those are lies that come at times to prevent me from going deeper into the knowledge of the love of God for me. And even though I know this, at unexpected moments in my life, that need to be valued as both a person and for what I do rears it’s ugly head and sometimes it can take me days, if not weeks, to get through it. Early in my walk with the Lord, my sense of worth was anchored more in what I did, and how others perceived what I did, than where it should have been. And now I find myself unsettled and asking the Lord if what I am doing is enough. Does it matter? Does anyone care? Yep, major pity party, I know.

I have come a long way in this area. But the fact that I still struggle sometimes means that I have not yet gained total victory in this area. I no longer find myself crying from feeling unloved, unworthy or not valued (the key word here is “FEELING”), nor do I find myself in a deep state of depression over it, as I once did. But it’s the little whisperings in my ear that come at unexpected times that tell me “you are not good enough”, “you don’t matter”, “no one sees what you are doing” that still cause me deep pain and anguish. And that is the very thing that throws me….the fact that it is still there, somewhere hidden, deep in my heart…that deep longing to FEEL valued from others. Why should I care? I know that what I do, I do for the Lord and it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. But the enemy is crafty and a liar. He comes at the most unexpected times and those are the times when I must rely on the Word of God. I am validated not by what I do, nor what people think about me, but by what the Word of God says about me.
  • I am a child of God.  But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name. (John 1:12)
  • I have been justified and redeemed. …being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus. (Romans 3:24)
  • I will not be condemned by God. There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)
  • I have been accepted by Christ. Therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God. (Romans 15:7)
  • I have been set free in Christ. It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. (Galatians 5:1)
  • I am chosen, holy, and blameless before God. ...just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him. (Ephesians 1:4)
  • I am redeemed and forgiven by the grace of Christ. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace. (Ephesians 1:7)
  • I am God’s workmanship created to produce good works. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10)
  • I have been made complete in Christ. In Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority. (Colossians 2:10)
  • God loves me and has chosen me. …knowing, brethren beloved by God, His choice of you. (1 Thessalonians 1:4)
I choose to believe that God sees me and all that I do. It matters to Him! He thinks I am pretty remarkable. At those times when the enemy comes in, not so much as a flood, but as a constant whisper, I choose to anchor myself in the Word of God and receive my self worth and validation from Him. God sees you, dear one. How are you seeing yourself today? When you look in the mirror, do you see yourself as small and insignificant, or do you see yourself as the strong, confident, loving, remarkable woman that you are?

Chel's Leaving a Legacy
    February 21, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Well alrighty then. I suppose that God is trying to get my attention on this subject. This is the second time I've heard this just today, and the first was a quiet, one-on-one conversation.

I'm listening, Lord.

Thanks for sharing, Barbie. Have a blessed Sonday!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy
    February 21, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I'm listening, Lord.

Thanks for sharing, Barbie. Have a blessed Sonday!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy
    February 21, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I'm listening, Lord.

Thanks for sharing, Barbie. Have a blessed Sonday!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy
    February 21, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I'm listening, Lord.

Thanks for sharing, Barbie. Have a blessed Sonday!

Double Wide Mom
    February 21, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I researched once on the words "feeling" and "know". The word feeling as pertaining to emotions is not even in most translations. It always refers to the sense of touch. "Know" is in there over 1200 times! Pretty remarkable. Thanks for the reminder!
    -DWM

Double Wide Mom
    February 21, 2010 at 8:18 pm

-DWM

Double Wide Mom
    February 21, 2010 at 8:18 pm

-DWM

Double Wide Mom
    February 21, 2010 at 8:18 pm

-DWM

lagirl/Sweet Tea
    February 21, 2010 at 9:31 pm

What an honest open account of how we all feel from time to time. Remember, it is Satan's job to "accuse" us -"you're not good enough, smart enough, useful enough, you don't make a difference to God's Kingdom…etc. Those are all lies and the fact that you are being attacked in such a way must mean you are doing something right so Satan has put you on his list. Ignore him, claim your rightful heritage in Christ and he will "flee". BTDT

lagirl/Sweet Tea
    February 21, 2010 at 9:31 pm

lagirl/Sweet Tea
    February 21, 2010 at 9:31 pm

lagirl/Sweet Tea
    February 21, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Esther
    February 22, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Great post! I've been struggling with this the past several weeks as well, and like you, have had some degree of victory, but that insecurity still rears it ugly little head once in a while.

Sometimes I "know" all that truth in my head, but I can't lecture myself out of it. It just takes time to come to the end of myself and the Lord brings that truth to my heart.

Esther
    February 22, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Esther
    February 22, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Esther
    February 22, 2010 at 1:34 pm

"C" is for many things
    February 23, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Galatians 1:10 (New International Version)

Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

I love that verse and it is one I struggle with daily.

If you haven't heard this podcast, then you should listen to it! This series on Proverbs has really helped me: http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/proverbs-2009/fear

"C" is for many things
    February 23, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Galatians 1:10 (New International Version)

I love that verse and it is one I struggle with daily.

"C" is for many things
    February 23, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Galatians 1:10 (New International Version)

I love that verse and it is one I struggle with daily.

"C" is for many things
    February 23, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Galatians 1:10 (New International Version)

I love that verse and it is one I struggle with daily.

Marsha
    February 24, 2010 at 3:45 am

Great post, Barbie. I can identify with your past performance based struggle. That was my biggie as well.

Great reminders you listed about who we really are.

Missed you last week with the Pursuing Love meme. Will you be able to join us this week?

Blessings.

Marsha
    February 24, 2010 at 3:45 am

Great reminders you listed about who we really are.

Blessings.

Marsha
    February 24, 2010 at 3:45 am

Great reminders you listed about who we really are.

Blessings.

Marsha
    February 24, 2010 at 3:45 am

Great reminders you listed about who we really are.

Blessings.

JillAileenJones
    February 25, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Satan comes to steel and destroy! I struggle with this a lot. Matter-a-fact I have a friend in PA that every time we talk at some point our conversation with go in this direction as to how sometimes what we do even around our house seems to matter to know one but us. I know this is not true but some days it is how I feel. I wish I could see myself as God see me. I have always struggled with how I look or what I do and what I could change and why-not any fault of my parents either I don't think they are fine parents-just something about me that makes me not like me somedays. I will be praying for you and I could use the same-thanks for your honesty on this. Some day we will see ourselves as the wonderful, beautiful women God created us to be-that will be a great day!
    Jill

JillAileenJones
    February 25, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Jill

JillAileenJones
    February 25, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Jill

JillAileenJones
    February 25, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Jill

Beth in NC
    February 26, 2010 at 10:51 am

Wonderful post Barbie! You're right about "feelings" … we just can't trust them. And yes, we have to reprogram our minds to line up with who God says we are (renewing our minds through His word). I can relate. I've been down that path too Sister.

Love,

Beth in NC
    February 26, 2010 at 10:51 am

Love,
    Beth

Angie's Ad Lib
    February 26, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Whew…truth well written. I need that today. Thanks!

Angie's Ad Lib
    February 26, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Whew…truth well written. I need that today. Thanks!

Angie's Ad Lib
    February 26, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Whew…truth well written. I need that today. Thanks!

Angie's Ad Lib
    February 26, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Whew…truth well written. I need that today. Thanks!

Dionna
    February 28, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I got tears in my eyes as I read your post today because I can really relate. 🙂

Dionna
    February 28, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I got tears in my eyes as I read your post today because I can really relate. 🙂

Dionna
    February 28, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I got tears in my eyes as I read your post today because I can really relate. 🙂

Dionna
    February 28, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I got tears in my eyes as I read your post today because I can really relate. 🙂

Adoption Mama
    March 11, 2010 at 12:42 pm

What a great post! My family and I went to a Michael W. Smith concert last Saturday night. He kept reminding us, "Our God is very fond of us."

This was another great reminder.

Thanks.

Adoption Mama
    March 11, 2010 at 12:42 pm

This was another great reminder.

Thanks.

Adoption Mama
    March 11, 2010 at 12:42 pm

This was another great reminder.

Thanks.

Adoption Mama
    March 11, 2010 at 12:42 pm

This was another great reminder.

Thanks.

Amen!

Esther
    March 11, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Amen!

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time
    March 11, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Life is a journey, that's for sure. Hugs.

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time
    March 11, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Life is a journey, that's for sure. Hugs.

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time
    March 11, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Life is a journey, that's for sure. Hugs.

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time
    March 11, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Life is a journey, that's for sure. Hugs.

Bridgette
    March 11, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Visiting from Talkin' Thursdays. What a wonderful and inspirational post! Have a great day!

Bridgette
    March 11, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Bridgette
    March 11, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Bridgette
    March 11, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Ronel Sidney
    March 11, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Barbie,

This so goes right along with what I was feeling last night when disappointment hit me…. didn't say in my blog (family needs it) but my mom & dad will not be going to my graduation in May and it really upset me… I totally understand your feeling (sure the circumstance is different) but I know He loves me and sees all I do and that is ENOUGH for me!! and you!! :0)

Ronel Sidney
    March 11, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Barbie,

Ronel Sidney
    March 11, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Barbie,

Ronel Sidney
    March 11, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Barbie,

Genny
    March 11, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Barbie,

Thank you so much for sharing your heart like this, and for joining in today. I know you are an encouragement to many! I know you are to me.

Hugs,