24 In Book study

Captivating Bible Study – Week Three (Wounds)

healing heart Pictures, Images and Photos

In this week’s Captivating Bible Study, we discussed wounds.  I have to admit that I had a very hard time getting through this one.  About a week ago, a dear friend of mine shared a testimony with the entire world on CBN that touched deep places in my heart that I had forgotten were there.  Well, maybe I didn’t forget, but I certainly pushed them down far enough that I tricked myself into believing they weren’t there anymore. Even though I did not experience the same exact pain she did, the fact is I still have pain, wounds that are so deep that I buried them so that I could forget.  Although I walked through some pretty intense emotional healing in some of these areas about a year ago and made progress, God still had more He wanted to do. But I chose to simply put a Band-Aid on those wounds and move on.  But God, in His great love for me and in His gentleness, has reminded me that I do not have to remain in this place — a broken, fragmented person.  He desires that my heart be fully healed and restored.

As Easter Sunday approaches, I’ve been thinking about His sacrifice.  Jesus paid the ultimate price for not only my sin, but my hurt and pain, by going to the cross.  He shed His blood for me, that I might be saved.  He was beaten that I might be whole.  He was whipped so that I might be healed.

But he was pierced for our rebellion

crushed for our sins.

He was beaten so we could be whole.

He was whipped so we could be healed.  (Isaiah 53:5)

Every heartache, wound, transgression against me, every sin that caused a self-inflicted wound — it was all paid for as He hung there on the cross. Have I chosen willingly to hold onto my hurt?  Maybe.  My wounds have become such a part of me that it’s hard to imagine life without them.  Sound odd?  And I think too that sometimes they are just too hard to look at.  It’s easier to bury them and try and forget.  But I can never forget His sacrifice — His willing, unselfish sacrifice — one he gave just for me.  His death on the cross not only secured my salvation and my place in Heaven, but it reminds me that I no longer have to live in bondage to past hurts.

And even though I want to embrace this reality of what the Son of God experienced and willingly gave Himself up for — my wholeness and healing (as well as my salvation), I continue to ask myself, “Is my heart ready?”  But I trust God with my heart so I say YES!  I am ready.  It may take some time to get through it all.  Even just removing the Band-Aid could cause a certain amount of discomfort if it’s been there for a while.  And then there’s the healing ointment that must be poured onto the wound, and that often stings.  And then the wound may begin to fester and ooze as the infection comes to the surface. But after a little while, the infected heart will begin to heal and sooner or later the open wound will close and there will be no more pain, and all evidence of a wound will be removed.  Not even a scar will remain!

Are there wounds in your heart that you are still carrying?  Jesus paid for each and every one of them on the cross.  He desires that you walk in freedom and wholeness.  Will you trust Him to walk with you through your pain?  He is a gentle, loving Daddy.  Will you start by allowing Him to simply remove the Band-Aid as I have?  He will never give you more than you can handle.  He is so good!

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise!
    April 1, 2010 at 11:46 am

I am so glad you found my blog through Beth so that I could find yours! I look forward to getting to know you better. I love finding blogs that bless! Happy Easter to you & yours…
    Joyfully,
    Wylie

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise!
    April 1, 2010 at 11:46 am

Joyfully,
    Wylie

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise!
    April 1, 2010 at 11:46 am

Joyfully,
    Wylie

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise!
    April 1, 2010 at 11:46 am

Joyfully,
    Wylie

Loren
    April 1, 2010 at 4:11 pm

OH Barbie ~ I can so relate to this! I have learned and come to be thankful the Lord never leaves me as I am but is healing me one step, one wound, one day at a time…..He never gives us more than we can handle and HE loves us tooo much to leave us with the pain….buried or not! Even when we don't know it is there HE does and will lovingly provide the way to healing provided we work with and through HIM! HE is just so amazing that way!!

Love you and pray you have a glorious Easter my dear dear friend

Loren
    April 1, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Love you and pray you have a glorious Easter my dear dear friend

Loren
    April 1, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Love you and pray you have a glorious Easter my dear dear friend

Loren
    April 1, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Love you and pray you have a glorious Easter my dear dear friend

Adoption Mama
    April 1, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Barbie, Thank you for your prayer for our family. Your post reminded me that although God has not chosen to heal my mom on this earth, He will heal her when she sees Him face to face. His stripes accomplished this.

Blessings to you.

Adoption Mama
    April 1, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Blessings to you.

Adoption Mama
    April 1, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Blessings to you.

Adoption Mama
    April 1, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Blessings to you.

Alicia, The Snowflake
    April 2, 2010 at 2:39 am

You are so right, my friend! He wants to heal all of us. But we have to be willing to let Him. I was recently talking w/a young woman about this very issue. She felt she was beyond healing. I'm still praying she will open up and let the Lord heal her. By His stripes we are healed!

Alicia, The Snowflake

Camie
    April 3, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I am ready! God is good!

Blessings!

Anonymous
    April 6, 2010 at 2:43 am

That night you shared with us a piece of your pain you are still holding on to. We all share that in common. Why? My kids remind me all the time to give it to God he is freeing you from that burden, pain, doubt that we just don't want to let go!! Dealing with it on our own, it doesn't help because we go there again and again. I want to let all go and lay it down at the cross. I no longer want to feel that I am ugly and hopeless, that I deserved to be treated like that. I am learning to get thru it and this book is helping me and especially you Barbie. I understand who I am in God and I now understand I am beautiful in the eyes of God. Only He can make me whole and not man or material things I thought I needed to be accepted. I look forward to your next message and you are AMAZING..

Anonymous