44 In Faith

Feeling Overwhelmed

© ta_samaya - Fotolia.com

I’ve been feeling a little overwhelmed the last few days.  I tend to juggle life pretty good on most days, so when I do feel like the weight of the world is crashing down on me, I stop and take a personal inventory. Here are just a few of the things that I am asking the Lord to intervene and come to my rescue in:

• My 16year old son started on-line school last semester. We are nearing the end of the year and so far I do not see a real change. I know that traditional school will not work for him.  So I am praying through what we will do next year. He really is not a self-motivated person, but I am not sure I can thrust him back into a full-time school atmosphere either.

I NeedGod’s Wisdom.

If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.  (James 1:5)

• My house is a complete disaster.  I have only been able to manage to do what absolutely has to be done over the last couple of months (yes, I said months). That includes things like meal planning, grocery shopping, laundry, homework, baths, playing with my kids, time in the Word and in prayer, work and ministry. I just don’t seem to have the energy to keep up with the day-to-day tasks to keep my home in order.
  • I received some less than desirable tests results from the doctor yesterday.  In a nut shell, I must begin immediately to make healthier choices concerning my diet and exercise habits. Otherwise, I may be walking down a road God never intended for me to walk down. This is overwhelming to me. I am not a good dieter.  And yes, I know it is alifestyle change, but I simply do not have the motivation to begin again.  I am afraid I won’t be able to get myself to the place where I need to me.

I Need God’s Strength.

Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My prayer works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ.  For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor. 12:9-10)

For I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength. (Phil. 4:13)

• We are still waiting word from our mortgage company as to whether they will modify our loan so that we can keep our home.  We have been working on this for months.  They let our file expire so we had to start again. It’s been extremely frustrating.

I Need God’s Peace.

You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! (Isaiah 26:3)

• My husband is still sort of unemployed.  He has a temporary position which he works off and on, but it is still not a regular source of income.  We really need that in order to be able to make our mortgage payments.
  • Our main freezer is broken. Thankfully we have a smaller one in the garage, but it does not allow me to shop ahead and freeze things. I am not sure we can afford to fix it.

I need God’s provision.

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:19)

• I feel like I am not spending “quality” time with my children.  Yes I work full time and only have so many hours left in the day, but I feel so rushed where they are concerned.  I am praying for creative ways to spend more quality time with them, and am asking the Lord to slow me down so that I am not so rushed.

I Need God’s Rest.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matt. 11:28-30)

• I have a bone spur at the bottom of my foot that causes intense pain on most days.  I am told there is nothing they can do for it, other than stretching and good supportive shoes.  What?  I am a Flip-Flip type of gal!

I Need God’s Healing.

But he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole.  He was whipped so we could be healed. (Isaiah 53:5)

Despite everything, I am trusting.  I know that He can lift this feeling from me. I do not want to rely on my emotions.  I trust in my loving Heavenly Father who knows I am not perfect and is the One who has everything I need.  He cares for me.

JillAileenJones
    April 22, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Barbie-
    Just stopped to pray for you-for an overwhelming peace-comfort and guidance in all these areas you mentioned. This time of year is always that way for me because the end of the choir year is rapping up and church and I am over all the kids choirs and our programs are coming up in 3 weeks and I have so much to do and being home with Brandon isn't helping matters. I finally had to say "Ok God-this ball is in your court-I humanly can't do all this right now-I need you to show me what has to be done now and how and what I can let others do or get help or whatever-I can't do it all and do it well by myself." I will pray for you that you will be able to know the answers that you need and how to accomplish it all.
    I am a terrible dieter-I am working on that too-I was always really skinny till I had babies-really hard now cause I never had to watch my weight till the last few years and I hate it! I am reading a good book called Fit for my King I think-I need to check to make sure that is the title-it is really good.
    Hope you have a restful rest of your day and that you have peace about some of these things soon at least so you don't have to be overwhelmed.
    Love

April 22, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Barbie-
    Love
    Jill

Carrie
    April 22, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Here's the lyrics to that Eddie James song, "I am", that I posted Sunday. They've meant the world to me this week. I am the Lord, I’m the Almighty God, I am the One for whom nothing is too hard, I am the Shepherd and I am the Door, I am the Good news to the bound and the poor; I am the righteous One and I am the Lamb, I am the Ram in the bush for Abraham, I am the Ultimate Sacrifice for sin, I am your Redeemer, the Beginning and the End; I am Jehovah, and I am the King, I am Messiah, David’s Offspring, I am your High Priest, and I am the Christ, I am the Resurrection, I am the Life; I am the Bread, I am the Wine, And I am your Future, so leave your past behind; I am the One in the midst of two or three, I am your Tabernacle, I am your Jubilee; I am Hope, I am Peace, I am Joy, I am Rest, I am your Comfort, and Relief from your stress; I am Strength, I am Faith, I am Love, I am Power, And today I am your Freedom, this very hour." I am a bit overwhelmed right now myself. I know He is in control and He will see us through because He's all we need. I'll be praying with you about these things.

Carrie
    April 22, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Carrie
    April 22, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Carrie
    April 22, 2010 at 9:08 pm

3 Blessings
    April 22, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I am sorry. Praying God will lead you to answers.
    Blessings,
    Amy

3 Blessings
    April 22, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I am sorry. Praying God will lead you to answers.
    Blessings,
    Amy

3 Blessings
    April 22, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I am sorry. Praying God will lead you to answers.
    Blessings,
    Amy

3 Blessings
    April 22, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I am sorry. Praying God will lead you to answers.
    Blessings,
    Amy

TOSHeidi
    April 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm

You don't know me. I just recently started following your blog, and don't even know if I've ever commented before. But, I wanted to let you know that I appreciate that you have shared from your heart here. Sometimes it just helps to write it all out and see it in print. 🙂

I feel like this quite often – just overwhelmed – and wondering how I'm going to catch up and keep up with life.

I've had a bone spur and, through that, I learned that shoes need to be for comfort, not looks! So, though I do love (and wear) flip-flops, I also have become a die-hard fan of crocs. They were the only shoes I could wear to get through the pain of the spur. It will eventually go away. 🙂

TOSHeidi
    April 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm

TOSHeidi
    April 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm

TOSHeidi
    April 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Double Wide Mom
    April 22, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Hang in there sweetie. I'm praying for you as well.

Double Wide Mom
    April 22, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Hang in there sweetie. I'm praying for you as well.

Double Wide Mom
    April 22, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Hang in there sweetie. I'm praying for you as well.

Double Wide Mom
    April 22, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Hang in there sweetie. I'm praying for you as well.

Ann
    April 23, 2010 at 12:49 am

Through trials is where we really learn to trust in God. I'm praying for you!!

Ann
    April 23, 2010 at 12:49 am

Through trials is where we really learn to trust in God. I'm praying for you!!

Ann
    April 23, 2010 at 12:49 am

Through trials is where we really learn to trust in God. I'm praying for you!!

Ann
    April 23, 2010 at 12:49 am

Through trials is where we really learn to trust in God. I'm praying for you!!

Sheri
    April 23, 2010 at 1:24 am

I was reading this post nodding my head the whole time; it sounds like we are in very similar places in our lives, with the kids, health, house, exhaustion and money issues. I am so sorry you are going through all of this, and I will certainly keep you and your family in my prayers.

It is so hard for me to trust in times like these, so if you are able to do that, you are at least going in the right direction.

Take care.

Sheri
    April 23, 2010 at 1:24 am

Take care.

Sheri
    April 23, 2010 at 1:24 am

Take care.

Sheri
    April 23, 2010 at 1:24 am

Take care.

Loren
    April 23, 2010 at 3:58 am

Barbie ~

I am soo sorry for all you are having to deal with….that is a heavy list my friend! But we both know one step at a time and one day at a time the Lord will lead and guide you…I pray you will have Peace in this Storm and that you will be able to HEAR what the SPIRIT is saying in regards to each and every request you have laid at the Lords feet! Joining you in prayer and trusting the Lord to provide each answer!

Sending you a big hug and lots of love and prayers my friend

Loren
    April 23, 2010 at 3:58 am

Barbie ~

Sending you a big hug and lots of love and prayers my friend

Charis
    April 23, 2010 at 5:01 am

thank you for willing to be vulnerable. i think all of us have times when we feel completely unable to deal with the amount of things we have before us that make us feel weak and it is encouraging to read someone else's journey in it to realize that none of us are alone. i love that verse that His power is made perfect in our weakness. i pray for you that you would not only get breakthrough in all of these areas, but that you would meet Him in a new way along the path to the breakthroughs! God is for you.

Charis
    April 23, 2010 at 5:01 am

Charis
    April 23, 2010 at 5:01 am

Charis
    April 23, 2010 at 5:01 am

Sweet Tea
    April 23, 2010 at 11:51 pm

That's a big, heavy, list of concerns. I can understand why you feel overwhelmed. I am feeling overwhelmed and my list isn't nearly as long as yours. You're a strong gal to be shouldering all of that. I pray God will reveal some new options to you that will ease your mind. (((HUGS & PRAYERS)))

Sweet Tea
    April 23, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Sweet Tea
    April 23, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Sweet Tea
    April 23, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Traci Michele
    April 27, 2010 at 1:28 am

Thank you so much for this post! And for your prayers. Praying for you as well!

Hugs,
    Traci

Traci Michele
    April 27, 2010 at 1:28 am

Thank you so much for this post! And for your prayers. Praying for you as well!

Hugs,
    Traci

Traci Michele
    April 27, 2010 at 1:28 am

Thank you so much for this post! And for your prayers. Praying for you as well!

Hugs,
    Traci

Traci Michele
    April 27, 2010 at 1:28 am

Thank you so much for this post! And for your prayers. Praying for you as well!

Hugs,