56 In Faith

Satisfaction

I had an amazing time in God’s presence while sitting in our House of Prayer today.  It was nice to just sit before Him, without an agenda.  I didn’t even open my computer, because if I had, I would have been distracted and missed the sweetness of the moment. I was reflecting on how God and God alone is the one who satisfies my every need.  I am not sure what the young man leading the devotional was singing, but I remember there were tears streaming down my face.  Then the Lord gave me a picture:

I was sitting in a very large garden.  All around me were flowers of every type imaginable.  I remember getting up and running from flower to flower to smell of it’s fragrance.  After I smelled each one, I would turn and smile (as if looking right into the eyes of Jesus), but something always moved me onto the next flower.  Even though the fragrance of each one was sweet and pleasing to my nostrils, still it did not satisfy me.  I wanted more!

Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes;
your name is like perfume poured out.
No wonder the maidens love you!
(Song of Solomon 1:3)

In the next picture the Lord gave me, I was sitting in a very large room and there were many large tables filled with food.  I ran in and immediately began to taste all of the food.  After each bite I took, I would turn (again, is if looking right into the eyes of Jesus) and smile.  But I never seemed to be satisfied.  I was franticaly tasting of the food to find the one thing that would fulfill my desire.  I was full, but never satisfied!

For he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry
with good things. (Psalm 107:9)

In the final picture I was taken to yet another room.  I remember being handed money (I am not sure by whom).  I again smiled and turned to Jesus.  I was so excited to receive the money, but as soon as I touched it it slipped through fingers.  And even though it would be nice to have a little extra money these days, I know that not even money can buy true satisfaction.

Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.

(Isaiah 55:2)

It was at that moment that I was faced with my own barrenness.  The Lord in his gentle and loving way reminded me that He alone is the one who satisfies.  Why then do I sometimes chase after momentary satisfaction in things that will not last?  He spoke to me about my barren heart and that there are places that at times are not fully yielded or surrendered to Him.  When I am lacking in the ONE THING that will truly satisfy, I tend to run and look for momentary satisfaction elsewhere — in food, to fill a void that only He an fill; in money, if we only had this much more money than we could……..; even in the smell of a beautiful fragrant flower.  But that is only a simple reminder of a much bigger and more lasting beauty, one that will never fade away.

I’m asking God for one thing, only one thing: To live with him in his house my whole life long. I’ll contemplate his beauty; I’ll study at his feet.  (Psalm 27:4)

I am in pursuit of the ONE THING that will satisfy me.  I long for it.  I yearn for it.  My heart breaks with the revelation that my actions may not always show what is in my heart.  Yet I know my heart is soft. Otherwise, I could not have cried tears over the state of my barrenness.  I long to be in His presence, to sit at His feet, to behold Him in His beauty.  I am thirsty, Lord, and I am hungry.  You alone can satisfy!

As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God. (Psalm 42:1)

Are you looking for satisfaction today?  Look to Jesus. He comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee!

carissa @ lowercase letters
    May 26, 2010 at 8:25 am

beautiful post barbie!!! amen… only the Lord can satisfy our desires and longings! such beautiful pictures the Lord gave you to show you that Truth! thanks for sharing.

yes, i'm up late… this preggy lady has a mad case of heartburn. you could say i'm burning the midnight oil. ; )

carissa @ lowercase letters
    May 26, 2010 at 8:25 am

carissa @ lowercase letters
    May 26, 2010 at 8:25 am

carissa @ lowercase letters
    May 26, 2010 at 8:25 am

Mandy
    May 26, 2010 at 11:48 am

Thanks so much for your honesty! It's refreshing to hear, and awesome that you are turning to the right place. I think as humans we all have moments of misdirection, but I'm finding that I am NEVER disappointed when I redirect myself to His word. Thanks for the images and scripture to start my day!

Mandy
    May 26, 2010 at 11:48 am

Mandy
    May 26, 2010 at 11:48 am

Mandy
    May 26, 2010 at 11:48 am

Leah
    May 26, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Wonderful. A soft heart always touches the heart of others. Thanks for helping me "see". 🙂

Leah
    May 26, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Leah
    May 26, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Leah
    May 26, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Kristen Andrews
    May 26, 2010 at 12:37 pm

this is a beautiful post and so true, so often we turn to other things thinking it will bring satisfaction

Kristen Andrews
    May 26, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Kristen Andrews
    May 26, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Kristen Andrews
    May 26, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Michelle (michabella)
    May 26, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Wow God really spoke to you! That is so amazing, HE is so amazing! Thanks for sharing <333

Michelle (michabella)

May 26, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Barbie,

Such a beautiful post, and a true reflection of your beautiful heart. 🙂

Genny

Charis
    May 26, 2010 at 10:42 pm

this is a great post! i love the revelation God gave you and just the goodness of His continual reminder to our hearts of what will really satisfy! thanks for sharing.

Charis
    May 26, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Charis
    May 26, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Charis
    May 26, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Jen
    May 27, 2010 at 1:51 am

Throughout my life, I have struggled with using so many tangible things to fill me, but one by one, God has revealed my behavior and then been so steadfast to help release the hold that those things have had on me. Praise Him for His gentleness!

Jen
    May 27, 2010 at 1:51 am

Jen
    May 27, 2010 at 1:51 am

Jen
    May 27, 2010 at 1:51 am

Holly Renee
    May 27, 2010 at 9:32 am

I loved the way you describe the first picture, going from flower to flower and each smelled so good. It was very visual to me. This post is very honest and inspiring!

Holly Renee
    May 27, 2010 at 9:32 am

Holly Renee
    May 27, 2010 at 9:32 am

Holly Renee
    May 27, 2010 at 9:32 am

Stuff could always be worse
    May 27, 2010 at 1:36 pm

So glad to read your perspectives, love the flower garden best!
    kim

Stuff could always be worse
    May 27, 2010 at 1:36 pm

So glad to read your perspectives, love the flower garden best!
    kim

Stuff could always be worse
    May 27, 2010 at 1:36 pm

So glad to read your perspectives, love the flower garden best!
    kim

Stuff could always be worse
    May 27, 2010 at 1:36 pm

So glad to read your perspectives, love the flower garden best!
    kim

Sheri
    May 27, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Beautiful words! I need to take some time to quiet my head and my heart and let God speak to me.

Sheri
    May 27, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Sheri
    May 27, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Sheri
    May 27, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Kate
    May 27, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this and for your encouraging comment. Both got me thinking and I really felt the Lord working on me today 🙂 Thank you soo much!

Blessings,