52 In Faith

A Time To Pray

In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait in expectation.

(Psalm 5:3-NIV)

David spent his mornings with the Lord. He would rise up early in the morning, often before daylight (probably always before daylight), petition the throne of God with his requests, always in an attitude of worship, and wait in expectation for what God would say. And then, once he had heard from the Lord, he would go on about his day.

When I became a Christian, I was always told that mornings were the times to pray.  I was told that I was to give God the first part of my day, which was the best part, untouched by the world.  And I did that.  For a season.  But as I’ve gotten married, had children and taken up responsibilities of working full-time as well as ministry, mornings don’t seem like the best time for me.  I try to make it a point to pray continuously throughout the day, as the Scriptures instruct, and sometimes I find myself praying at night, and telling God about my day.  Yet, when I do this, I often feel guilty that I did not give God that first part of my day and that I lived my day without inviting Him into it.

I realize I have had a somewhat religious spirit when it comes to “when” and “where” to pray.  I know many young moms who have beautiful and amazing times with the Lord during all hours of the day, in their car, in their prayer closets, sitting in the middle of their floor with a towel over their heads while their children run around, in the bathroom (and all of us with multiple children can say “Amen” to that).  It just doesn’t feel right when I don’t pray in the morning.  When I pray at night, I feel like God is more of a distant boyfriend who I didn’t see all day, who’s advice I did not seek for the day, and then I end up complaining to about my day when it’s all over.  I would not call this intimacy as God intended it to be.

In my quest to draw closer to God, I have been thinking that it’s vitally important to my spiritual growth that I rearrange my priorities so that I can again give God the first part of my day.  I want God to be glorified in all that I do; I don’t want Him to simply be an after thought or someone that I complain to about my day.  But why is it so hard for me to rise up early before the kids do?  Normally, I would get up at 6:30a to shower and then wake my kids at 7:00a.  If I wanted to spend quality time with the Lord, getting up at 5:30a, or even 6:00a would be best.  But I sleep through my alarm every time.  Maybe it’s because I go to bed too late (I have to catch up with all of you, right?, or you know the laundry has to get done).  When do I do all of the stuff that comes with keeping a home, mothering, and yes, even blogging if I don’t use my free hours in the evening to accomplish it.  And then, when the alarm does go off, why don’t I get up?  I should be excited to spend time with Jesus.  But rather, I roll over telling myself I will do it tomorrow.  I manage to blurt out a few requests here and there as I am getting ready, or in the car, but it’s not the same.  I thank God I have a corporate Prayer Room I can go to during the day when I am at work, but still, it’s not the same.

I want intimacy.  I desire for Him to come and share His heart with me.  I long for those times when it’s just Him and me.  But if my desire for Him is so strong, why is it so hard?  God is tugging on my heart.  He is calling me to come.  I want to come.  God, break down the barriers, the selfish parts of me that would turn an ear to your calling.  I am here Lord.  Please, keep calling me to come.  I am coming Lord!

How about you? Do you struggle with when to have your quiet time with the Lord?  What works for you?

Adoption Mama
    June 15, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I have been struggling with the loss of my mom and my precious son being away from me. Everytime I come to the Lord I just cry and don't know what else to say.

I know He knows my heart. There is so much pain right now.

Adoption Mama
    June 15, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I know He knows my heart. There is so much pain right now.

Adoption Mama
    June 15, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I know He knows my heart. There is so much pain right now.

Adoption Mama
    June 15, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I know He knows my heart. There is so much pain right now.

Lizzy Bennet
    June 15, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I have the same struggle, Barbie. Everything else just seems so much more important at the moment, and I think "I'll pray and talk to God later." Of course, that's a horrible habit to make. I think we all need to work to be like those moms that you talked about that pray to God during every moment of the day, no matter what we are doing. Then He will not seem so much like the forgotten boyfriend but rather, the always-constant husband.

Love in Christ,

Lizzy Bennet
    June 15, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Love in Christ,
    Lizzy

anythingbutperfect
    June 16, 2010 at 2:05 am

HI! And nice to meet you! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday! I so often say that I can't find true quiet time with the Lord bc of crazy kiddos and schedules but a lot of times I too don't take the necessary steps of waking up earlier! Thanks for sharing your heart and for the challenge!

anythingbutperfect
    June 16, 2010 at 2:05 am

anythingbutperfect
    June 16, 2010 at 2:05 am

anythingbutperfect
    June 16, 2010 at 2:05 am

Beth in NC
    June 16, 2010 at 11:30 am

I agree that mornings just seem to be best as far as starting the day off right. I love to watch the sun rise as I read God's Word and chat with Him. Now — before you think I've got it all together (ha), I don't do this as often as I should Even now I hear the birds chirping and I'm being drawn to my deck.

I know what you're saying Barbie. I feel the same way. So many times my priorities seem out of whack. Sleep vs. spending time with Jesus. Doesn't that seem like such an obvious choice: Jesus! Well … it doesn't always happen that way. Sigh.

Love & hugs,

Beth in NC
    June 16, 2010 at 11:30 am

Love & hugs,
    Beth

Lynnette Kraft
    June 16, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Okay Barbie I'm officially weird! Every time I see somebody has 199 followers, I feel like I HAVE to become their 200th follower! ha! I did that with Rachel (Finding Joy) too and various other random bloggers. I know… I'm just one odd duck aren't I? hee hee

I hear ya on this post. I'm a sporadic quiet timer. Truth is, it's never quiet here. I blog late after the kids are in bed so it doesn't interrupt my time with them during the day. So, I don't get up until 7:00 or 7:30 – which happens to be WITH the kids. What I like to do is have my bible reading time with my little boys and then we pray together. Then when I'm laying down with Harry… or outside catching some sunshine… or driving somewhere alone (rare occurrence)… or showering… I pray alone.

I hear you though, it does take EFFORT and I know God blesses those efforts. We are such weak, fickle people. We just can't help it can we? I absolutely love Paul's statement that basically says (in paraphrase) I can't seem to do what I want to do and I always do what I don't want to do. UGH! I can hear his frustration! Yet, knowing Paul – the marvelous man of God struggled, it makes me realize that we have something wonderful awaiting us in heaven, but for now… it's just always going to be a fight – a fight worth fighting though!

Okay, that was my official comment for the morning. I must move to my house and fam now.

Love ya.

Lynnette Kraft
    June 16, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Love ya.
    Lynnette

Genny
    June 16, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I'm such a morning person, that mornings are definitely best for me. I usually pray / read my Bible after Mike has gotten up and before the kids are awake (usually about 6 or 6:30). I love that time, although it isn't always interruption-free… lol!

Genny
    June 16, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Genny
    June 16, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Genny
    June 16, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Jinnia
    June 16, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I was a night owl all through college, and now doing my best to maximize my mornings as a mom. I got tired of snoozing, so I developed the habit of popping straight up, using my right arm to move the covers at the same time, at the first "BEEP!" of my alarm. It worked well during school, but I lost the habit once summer started. Now I'm determined to start it up again. Thank you for sharing so honesty about your quiet time, it's definitely a battle to guard those times!

Jinnia
    June 16, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Jinnia
    June 16, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Jinnia
    June 16, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Rebecca
    June 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm

First off thanks for sharing and being so real. 2nd of all I love what your said about the mornings being the best time to be with the Lord. I totally agree. If not for my kids being my alarm clock I'd totally get up and head strait to my bible and pray. Now I do as you have mentioned, in the car, while doing dishes, while running laundry up and down the stairs. It's actually quite refreshing and I think it sets a good tone in the house. Great post. thanks for stopping by my blog. Just posted a new post.

Rebecca
    June 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Rebecca
    June 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Rebecca
    June 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Janette@Janette's Sage
    June 16, 2010 at 8:29 pm

When I think of prayer and how rushed all of our lives can be I think of all the stories I have heard about Susanna Wesley. She would pull her apron up over her face and all her children knew she was in prayer. Prayer at that moment!
    I think our heavenly father enjoys hearing our voice…just like a mother can cherish her children's voices…..anytime!
    Blessings,

Janette@Janette's Sage
    June 16, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Blessings,
    Janette

Heather
    June 16, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Beautiful picture and message…it is hard to find that quiet time in the day. There is always so much hanging over our heads that need to be done as women, moms, workers, wives, etc. Thanks for sharing.

Heather
    June 16, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Heather
    June 16, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Heather
    June 16, 2010 at 8:44 pm

carissa @ lowercase letters
    June 16, 2010 at 9:10 pm

i'm learning that as a mommy of two littles, i can't be legalistic about my quiet times because otherwise it becomes a chore or another "to do" on my never ending list. plus, i'm reminded that the Lord's love and grace for me is only dependent on Christ's work on the cross and not dependent on me in any way… that has brought much freedom to me. it's now a joy to spend time with my Lord rather than a chore! it's much easier to find times for things you enjoy! : )

carissa @ lowercase letters
    June 16, 2010 at 9:10 pm

carissa @ lowercase letters
    June 16, 2010 at 9:10 pm

carissa @ lowercase letters
    June 16, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Tiffygator
    June 17, 2010 at 7:09 am

I am only now starting to be able to get up before the kids. Some days it still doesn't happen if I'm sick or the kids were up half of the night.

But here is my secret. I asked God to wake me up. When I do, I always wake up about 2 minutes before the alarm should go off. When God wakes you up morning after morning it is so easy to return his favor and actually get out of bed. I wish I could take credit for this tid bit, but I learned it from someone else.

If the kids have been up half of the night, I ask him to forgive me and I sleep until they wake up. I do make sure to find time somewhere in the day to read my Bible on those days though. Some days it takes ALL day.

Tiffygator
    June 17, 2010 at 7:09 am

Tiffygator
    June 17, 2010 at 7:09 am

Tiffygator
    June 17, 2010 at 7:09 am

Sharon Cohen
    June 27, 2010 at 5:52 pm

As I have grown older I have come to realize that to "pray always" is the solution to "taking every thought captive". Our own sinful nature will cause our thoughts to stray. The habit of praying at all times will assist us as we attempt to take every thought captive.

And, Janette – You've made me wish I had an apron.

Sharon Cohen
    June 27, 2010 at 5:52 pm

And, Janette – You've made me wish I had an apron.

Sharon Cohen
    June 27, 2010 at 5:52 pm

And, Janette – You've made me wish I had an apron.

Sharon Cohen
    June 27, 2010 at 5:52 pm

And, Janette – You've made me wish I had an apron.