52 In Faith

The Freedom of Surrender

Tonight I realized something.  I’ve been holding on to my heart.  Not my whole heart, but the core part of my heart.  The part that was created by God in the secret place.  The part that was rejected, told that it was worthless and was not protected.  Tonight I had a revelation.  Even though I’ve given God my heart, I am still holding on to many of the broken pieces and the pain associated with them.  God has come and brought healing in many areas, yet there is still much healing to be done.  Why do I insist on gripping my heart so tightly and not offering it to the Lord with an open hand?  A closed fist represents a lack of surrender.  An open hand tells God, “Here it is.  Come and take this from me”.

Jesus came to set the captives free.  If I hold onto my pain, then I live in a place of captivity in my mind and will be forever bound by that pain.  And even though I know this, there is a part of me that is fearful. You see, in many ways, I’ve identified myself with my brokenness.  This deep rooted pain has become such a part of me.  I’ve carried it with me, like an old, trusted friend, for many years.  And as odd as it may sound, I am afraid that if I surrender it all to God, I won’t know who I am.

But God knows who I am.  He called me by name.  He has given me a new identity.  One that is not marked by brokenness, but one that has been marked by the very hand of God and forever changed by His love!  I am no longer a prisoner to pain, but I am free to live in the fullness of all that God has planned for me!  I want to surrender it all to Him so that He can reveal to me my true identity.  Not the superficial one, who masks her pain and silently grieves, but the core of who I am.  The one that He knit together in the secret place.  The one whom He loved and thought of even before I was born.

I knew you before
I formed you in your mother’s womb.

(Jeremiah 1:5a-NLT)

My pain is not mine to own.  He paid the price for it on the cross.  He owns it now. Christ came to set me free, therefore I am free!  I am choosing to surrender my heart, to release my grip, and allow God to come in and heal my brokenness so that I may walk in freedom.

So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free.
(John 8:36-NLT)

Kate
    June 3, 2010 at 7:56 am

what a wonderful post! Thank you! Exactly what I needed right now.

Blessings,
    Kate

Kate
    June 3, 2010 at 7:56 am

what a wonderful post! Thank you! Exactly what I needed right now.

Blessings,
    Kate

Kate
    June 3, 2010 at 7:56 am

what a wonderful post! Thank you! Exactly what I needed right now.

Blessings,
    Kate

Kate
    June 3, 2010 at 7:56 am

what a wonderful post! Thank you! Exactly what I needed right now.

Blessings,
    Kate

Cranberry Morning
    June 3, 2010 at 11:40 am

It's an amazing this when we finally realize that Christ paid for our sin, our pain, our guilt! and we don't need to keep hanging onto it any longer. The freedom of repentance and forgiveness is truly awesome.

Cranberry Morning

Praying for you and your heart <333

Michelle (michabella)
    June 3, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Praying for you and your heart <333

Anonymous
    June 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Thank you Barbie for sharing your thoughts your time and you with all of us. You have made it easier for me anyways to really see what God sees in me!! I've known, heard and seen what God can do if you just surrender. This was a good time for me to sit with you ladies and sharing all what God is doing in all of you and me for that matter. God is so good when it comes to devine intervention. He's brilliant!

Anonymous
    June 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Anonymous
    June 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Anonymous
    June 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Kristi
    June 3, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Amen! Amen! I am rejoicing with you and praising our great Redeemer who can somehow turn our sorrows and our pain into absolute joy and dancing…and yes, freedom! Oh, there is no god like our God! Glory!

Kristi
    June 3, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Kristi
    June 3, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Kristi
    June 3, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Adoption Mama
    June 3, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Barbie, It is those things that keep us from truly knowing freedom. True freedom comes as we see our Master for who He really is…and we see our slavery to Him for what it really is.

Blessings to you.

This so true Barbie. Thanks for sharing this today. 🙂

Cole
    June 3, 2010 at 2:54 pm

This so true Barbie. Thanks for sharing this today. 🙂

Jinnia
    June 3, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Barbie, your post touched me at my core today. I can so relate to what you're saying. I've wrestled with pain in the secret place. Seems like such a small place but it can control the whole body. I needed that reminder that God knows who I am. Thank you for writing this.

Jinnia
    June 3, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Jinnia
    June 3, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Jinnia
    June 3, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Wanda
    June 4, 2010 at 12:37 am

I can really relate to what you've written here and you've certainly challenged me to let go.

Wanda
    June 4, 2010 at 12:37 am

Wanda
    June 4, 2010 at 12:37 am

Wanda
    June 4, 2010 at 12:37 am

Bina
    June 4, 2010 at 2:57 pm

"The pain is not mine to own"…such wisdom.

Amazingly strong post…simple Truth and yet so easy to forget in the day to day.

Bina
    June 4, 2010 at 2:57 pm

"The pain is not mine to own"…such wisdom.

Amazingly strong post…simple Truth and yet so easy to forget in the day to day.

Bina
    June 4, 2010 at 2:57 pm

"The pain is not mine to own"…such wisdom.

Amazingly strong post…simple Truth and yet so easy to forget in the day to day.

Bina
    June 4, 2010 at 2:57 pm

"The pain is not mine to own"…such wisdom.

Amazingly strong post…simple Truth and yet so easy to forget in the day to day.

Dionna
    June 4, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I think we all struggle with holding on to certain parts of our heart even if we "think" we've given it over to God. If we can only get to that place of surrender – then we are truly free.

Dionna

Genny
    June 4, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Beautiful, Barbie. Beautiful…

Julie
    June 6, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Barbie,
    Thanks so much for your visit to my blog a few weeks ago. I'm sorry I haven't been by for a visit. Life just sorta took a turn around here and I've been swept up in what's been going on in my home. Your words left for me at my blog blessed me!

I loved your words here. I am learning how to step into my new creation identity… which means I have to leave behind that old man mentality. I am taking my baby steps and finding God in the midst more deeply than I've ever known…

It blessed me to read your heart here…

Julie
    June 6, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Barbie,

It blessed me to read your heart here…

Julie
    June 6, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Barbie,

It blessed me to read your heart here…

Julie
    June 6, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Barbie,

It blessed me to read your heart here…