14 In Faith

Perspective

Paternò - Sunset in perspectivephoto © 2010 Francesco Pappalardo | more info (via: Wylio)

I found myself losing mine yesterday.  For a moment, most of the day really, I took my eyes off of the reason for the season.  I allowed my circumstances to rise to the forefront and I was once again faced with fear, anxiety and depression.  How does this happen?  How do I walk in joy and victory one day, and fear and anxiety the next?  I just wrote a guest post over at 5 Minutes for Faith about not fearing what appears to be immovable mountains in our lives, and found myself camping at the base of the mountain, forgetting for a moment that I did not have to fear because the Lord was with me, and that with Him ALL things are possible.
So last night, after regaining my focus, I began to think about perspective. It’s the way I see things. Do I want to continue to look at my life as half empty, or have full? It’s about my attitude. Will I allow myself to become bitter and angry over something that I, in my own strength, cannot change? It’s about choosing joy in the midst of hardship and struggle. Every new circumstance that my family is faced with that could be a cause for worry, doubt and fear is an opportunity to look up into the face of God, reflect on His promises and faithfulness to us, and realize how truly blessed we are.
I have a loving husband who works hard to provide for our family
and who loves me unconditionally.

My children are healthy and following the Lord.

We have shelter and food on our table.

My family lives nearby and we get to enjoy Christmas together.

Unemployment has brought opportunity for sacrifice and growth.

One car broke down, but we have two that are working.

Not enough money for all that I want to give at Christmas….but JESUS is FREE!

I have been pondering these scriptures this morning as I allow God to once again breathe hope over my circumstances.
Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God!  I will praise him again—my Savior and my God! (Psalm 42:5)
I look up to the mountains; does my strength come from mountains? No, my strength comes from God, who made heaven, and earth, and mountains.  (Psalm 121:1-2)
“LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” (Psalm 16:5-8)
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.  (Psalm 118:1)
I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.  (Psalm 27:13)
How about you?  Have you lost your perspective?  He is with you Beloved One.  May Jesus come afresh and a new and breathe hope over your circumstances.  May you be filled to overflowing with peace and joy!
Merry CHRISTmas!

Rachel
    December 21, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Lovely and oh, so true post Barbie!!! It IS all about perspective.

Rachel

Laura The Artist
    December 21, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Oh my dear…having a hard time with this right now as well…just got paid and while that is good news, the consequences of money owed leaves non left over. "Why so downcast Oh my soul…." is a good scripture. I can hear the melody now as I type. 🙂

bp
    December 21, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Wonderful reminder!

Merry Christmas,
    Bethany

Dena E's Blog
    December 21, 2010 at 6:28 pm

What A BEAUTIFUL Wish for all of us Sis,,THANK You…And my hope and prayer is for you to know this~~~No matter the miles or distance apart, Sisters in Christ like You, stay close to my heart…
    You are an Awesome woman of God and His ways…
    Thanks for being YOU!!!
    Merry Christmas~~~May our Sweet LORD cover You with blessings while you seek Him in this, His beautiful season.
    Isn't it magnificent knowing He is the Reason for every Season…I'm sooooo very blessed that He directed me to such Beautiful Blogging Sister's ..Truly, You sooooo warm my heart……Hugs Dena

Cole
    December 21, 2010 at 6:31 pm

I really loved this post Barbie. Its refreshing to hear this today. Merry Christmas!

Dena E's Blog
    December 21, 2010 at 6:38 pm

PS::: One of these days Super~Hubb's and I will actually get our own cards designed so we can really snail mail them out to Special Women like you and our family.. So far we haven't done up a new design for our own personal use as yet..We do for the stores but are slow working on those for our own use :0) go figure.
    As soon as we do , and they'll no doubt be for New Yrs
    ( with something about having God in this New Yr to come, of course
    :0) we will send them out with a new version of Barbie Bear also just for you. I have not forgotten Sweetie…Life keeps happening ya know :0)…
    May You and Yours be well safe and happy in HIM this Christmas and in this New Year….LOVE and (((Hugs))) Dena

Lisa Grace
    December 22, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I've been on a "perspective" journey myself. So glad to read yours and love the verses you shared! Thanks 🙂

Adoption Mama
    December 22, 2010 at 2:53 pm

God's Word is what refreshes our soul and our mind. Perspective is the key to keeping Him first in all things.

Stephanie M. Page
    December 22, 2010 at 9:46 pm

You know when you get that tickle in your nose because you are holding back tears? That is me right now. God is speaking to me through many blogs today. Yours is one. Thanks Friend. I definitely need to switch my perspective. God is good, faithful, and all we need. Praise him!

Julie@comehaveapeace
    December 22, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I know my perspective has been being bombarded this week, and my spirit has felt worn out. These scriptures are like a refreshing drink. You know, I think the Enemy really works hard in the days before our celebration of Christ's coming … another effort to rob us of the peace Christ came to bring. Thanks for sharing, Barbie,
    Julie

Courtney
    December 23, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Beautiful post, Barbie. Really does put things into perspective. Merry Christmas!

Rebecca
    December 23, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Good one. So easy to loose perspective this time of year. So much to be thankful for. Thanks for the reminder. Once again quite encouraged by your blog.
    I just posted my Christmas blog post. Hope you'll pop over and have a look.
    Your friend over at The Blessings of Modern Domestication.

Janette@Janette's Sage
    December 24, 2010 at 2:20 am

Yes been there and still get off at times. Great post.
    Merry Christmas!!!

carissa @ lowercase letters
    December 24, 2010 at 4:21 am

what a good perspective the Truth of the Word brings! thanks for sharing this beautiful Truth! may your family have a blessed Christmas.