Faith

Counting My Gifts

A few weeks ago, I received Ann Voskamp’s book, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are, in the mail. It is changing my life.  I am realizing that I am not truly living each day to the fullest.  Every day is a new gift to me from the Lord, and each day is full of promise; yet in the mundaneness that has become my life, I forget to stop and notice how abundantly blessed I am.  The most extraordinary gifts lie in the ordinary.  They lie in the simplicity of life.  They lie, buried beneath loads of unfinished laundry.  They are in the not all put together parts of my life.  I am surrounded by them.  And yet, they often go unnoticed.
I have been blessed and encouraged by reading the lists that others are making of their 1,000 gifts of love and grace.  I’ve been afraid to take the dare, to live life fully right where I am.  My life is not perfect.  It can be messy.  I get mad at my kids.  I can’t keep my house clean.  Yet, even on those days, there are gifts waiting to be revealed.  I want to learn to slow down so that I can see what God has so graciously put right in front of me.  Yet, They will only be found if my eyes are wide open to receive them.
So, here I am, beginning the journey of writing down my 1,000 gifts of love and grace, those that God has already blessed me with.  My prayer is that the Lord would open my eyes that I might see them.
My gifts today:
  1. The deep sighs of my children as they lie sleeping.
  2. The quietness of the night. It’s so peaceful when it’s just me and Him.
  3. The truck my husband was loaned this week, for as long as he needs it.
  4. Healthy children.
  5. The smell of a freshly washed load of laundry.
  6. A husband who constantly calls out the gold in me.
  7. My friends who run along side of me, and often fall behind so they can push me.
  8. The hum of my computer.  It works. And I am thankful.
  9. Dinners at my parents and for money saved.
  10. That in my lack, He is sufficient.

It’s not too late for you to begin your journey of writing down your 1,000 gifts.  Do you dare to allow God to open your eyes to the beauty that surrounds you?

19 thoughts on “Counting My Gifts”

1. Seams Inspired says:

Excellent post, Barbie! :o)

I list 3 things every day in which to be grateful. Today's list…The smell of coffee, children who awake happy and greet me with a hug, and a dog who snores and makes me laugh.

Happy Monday, bloggy friend! :o)

2. Stuff could always be worse says:

I love these lists, the smell of fresh laundry, saving money, truck, etc. Great list
    kim

3. Katie says:

love that you are starting your list! you will be so blessed during this process…

4. Child of God says:

Great things to be thankful for!
    I am thankful for:
    1. freshly fallen snow
    2. happy, healthy baby calves
    3. warm snuggly, purring cats.

Blessings my friend,
    <><

5. Janette@Janette's Sage says:

I too have been filling a journal of thanks. Oh I remember how blessed we were when a friend loaned us a truck so we had a second car for a family of four drivers…what a blessing!
    The rest of the list is also wonderful.

6. sara says:

I just picked this book up and am about to start it!!!

7. Lora says:

Welcome and great start!
    I love the look of your site, too.
    You will be so blessed in counting gifts from above.
    thanks for sharing at Ann's.
    have a beautiful week full of abounding counted blessings!
    In Him.

8. Sunny Sue says:

Boy, did I need this post! Sounds like I also need to check into that book. I am mustering up the guts to take the challenge. 🙂

9. Charis says:

sounds like a book i would love! i will put it on my must read list!

10. Joan says:

Glad to see you started your list. I have so much to be thankful for…His blessings keep coming.

11. Stephanie M. Page says:

So true that every day is a gift! Every moment is a gift! And what a gift that God gives us daily purpose. =) P.S. Check out Allied moms for a button tutorial, if you can't figure it out we have an option to pay to get one done for you! =)

12. Cyndi@Walking in His Grace says:

I have started reading it but I can't seem to finish it. I think I'll try to read some tonight.
    Thanks for the reminder!
    Blessings,
    Cyndi

13. Cora from Hidden Riches says:

Someone who calls out the gold in you!!!!! What a special gift that is, and such a wonderful way to express it. Oh, that we would all do that for one another — wouldn't we all be better people for it! So glad you are reading the book and taking the challenge. I must say, I'll never be the same or see my life the same again! Thanks for sharing today. Glad I stopped by!

14. Venessa says:

This is so awesome! I love this idea and it is so true…we miss out by not looking! I am going to have to get this book somehow!

15. Jennifer @ Studio JRU says:

What a wonderful start to your 1000 gifts list! Nothing like fresh laundry… ahh. I love having dinner with my parents. It's the best!

16. Mrs_Thielke says:

I am doing this also! But I am writing them down in my Gratitude journal…isn't doing this such a blessing? It has already helped me be so much more grateful!
    Such a good post 🙂
    ~Mb

17. Debbie says:

Barbie, I'm so glad that you and I are joining in on counting the simple blessings together. Already, I've found that I'm looking through a different lens at my world. And it makes all the difference. I know this is a habit that I will want to keep always. How fun that we are on this journey of praise and thanks …together.

Hugs to you friend,
    Debbie

18. Nena says:

Barbie, I think your gratitude list is exactly like mine. Sounds like we're traveling the same road. I have only read an excerpt of Ann's book on my Kindle – Wow! I can't wait to read more.
    Please come visit me sometime at http://www.battlemindblog.blogspot.com I would love to get to know you more.
    Nena~

19. signingcharity says:

Great start to your list. I am enjoying the exercise of putting together a list myself. I am up to 56.