15 In Faith

The Fullest of Time

Time.

Where did the time go?

There is not enough time in the day.

Time is of the essence.

Time is ticking away.

How much time will it take?

I’ll do it next time.

“They say time is money, but that’s not true. Time is life. And if I want the fullest life, I need to find fullest time… the busyness of your life leaving little room for the source of your life…God gives us time.  And who has time for God? Which makes no sense.”
Ann Voskamp (One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are)

How many opportunities have I missed?  How many moments of time have slipped through my fingers as I’ve allowed busyness to consume me?  How many facets of God’s beauty have I not seen simply because I didn’t take the time to stop?

As I press into God and ask Him to take me deeper, I am becoming more and more aware of what it means to pursue the “One Thing” above all other things.

One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.  (Psalm 27:4)

I long to be in the presence of the Lord.  I want to gaze upon His beauty, reflect on His attributes and His goodness.  I want to go deep into His Word, for it is life to my soul.  The reality is that I am wasting time.  There are so many other things fighting for my attention and it’s a struggle for me to find balance between my relationship with God and these other things.  It does not necessarily mean that the other things are bad.  But if I am not seeking the One Thing above all other things, than, simply, they are a waste of time.  For isn’t it God who gives me the strength to accomplish all that I do?  If I am not putting God first, my life will be empty and less than full.

And if I want the fullest life, I need to find fullest time.
Ann Voskamp (One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are)

How does one live a full life, full of the satisfaction of the Lord?  It is only in Him that fullness of life is obtained.

A thief comes only to rob, kill, and destroy. I came so that everyone would have life, and have it in its fullest.  (John 10:1o)

The enemy does not want me to life fully satisfied by the Lord.  So he comes and brings “time wasters” so that I will waste my life away with the absence of fullness.  For you, it might be different.  For me it can be TV, blogging, relationships or ministry, among other things.  And these are all good things.  But they do not lead to the fullness of life that I am after.  I want to be fully alive in God.

The Lord continues to speak to my heart about the need to simplify.  The need to lay some things down so that I can fill up my time with the source of my life.  I’ve never been really good at this sort of thing.  Saying “no”.  There is a certain gratitude that I receive from being needed, from saying “yes”.  From conquering the next task.  But these other things take time.  Time that I could be spending on pursuing the fullness of God.

I am learning to step away, to let go, to lay some things down.  I want to maximize the moments that God gives to me.  If he gives me 20 minutes to read His Word, I don’t want to allow distractions to come in and cause me to turn from Him.  If He allows me an opportunity to lay hands and pray for the sick, I do not want the busyness of life to cause me to say “I’ll pray for you”, as I rush on by.

I must slow down.

I must stop.

I must sit and breathe Him in.

I must allow Him to be the author of my day.

And when He speaks I must be willing to obey.

Living a life obedient to God in all things is not always easy.  When I sacrifice my own needs, desires and wants and simply pursue Him, He promises to come and give me life, and life to the fullest.  I want to live fully satisfied by the Lord.  He is the One Thing that I desire, above all other things.

How about you?  Has the Lord identified any time wasters in your life?  How are you pursuing a life fully in God?

(Photo source.)

Janette Wright
    May 21, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Yes God has been talking to me a lot about the use of my idle time….also, having good steal from what is best.  I think it is a constant battle or the enemy wouldn’t put so much effort into distracting us.  I also think aging makes us  more aware of it…I don’t see my young adults giving time much of a consideration.

Barbie Swihart
      May 23, 2011 at 5:34 am

Thanks Janette!  I definately agree that as I get older, my mind wanders to thinking if I’ve given Him adequate amounts of my time.  Thanks for stopping by.

Lea Helmerich
    May 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm

these are great thoughts.  the Lord is teaching me about
    being humble of spirit.  so much to learn, so much to lay
    down, so much to gain.

Barbie Swihart
      May 23, 2011 at 5:34 am

Thank you Lea!  I appreciate your visit and comment.  Do you have a blog? I would love to visit you.

Heart n Soul
    May 22, 2011 at 12:58 pm

love Psalm 24.4 …. great post. Learning to capture, celebrate and cherish the everyday moments…the ordinary and the extraordinary.

Barbie Swihart
      May 23, 2011 at 5:33 am

Thank you for visiting.  Do you have a blog? I would love to check it out.

charis
    May 23, 2011 at 4:01 am

so good.  i get so easily distracted and need to have constant reminders like this one to turn my heart back to pursuing Him with my time as many times as i mess up.   any time i get with Him is worth it – so much more fulfilling then all the many distractions.

Barbie Swihart
      May 23, 2011 at 5:33 am

Yes! My heart and my head tell me that He is the only thing that satisfies, yet I am pulled in so many other directions. It’s good that our hearts are yearning.  A very good place to be.

Michelle G
    May 23, 2011 at 4:17 am

Isn’t it funny how we find the time to do things that aren’t necessary but the one part of our day, that time with the Lord, falls so easily by the wayside?  I get so frustrated with myself when I do that!  Very inspiring post:)

Barbie Swihart
      May 23, 2011 at 5:26 am

I know exactly this struggle Michelle.  The neat thing about God is tomorrow is a new day.  So it’s “try try again”.  But it does take some sacrifice on my part.  Am I willing to do that?  My heart says “yes” but I fail so many times.

Anonymous
    May 23, 2011 at 4:34 am

This is great Barbie!  Especially after going through the Song of Songs class.  I want to spend more of my time with my beloved!  I am pursuing Him with a Body that is pursuing Him, it helps with the encouragement that comes from seeing and hearing others that are after the same thing 🙂

Barbie Swihart
      May 23, 2011 at 5:25 am

Ha ha, thanks for the comment Patrick!  The Song of Solomon class has been so good for my heart.  I am striving (if I can use that word) to spend more time with Him!

Anonymous
        May 23, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Just letting you know that I do read your blog 🙂 and I really enjoyed this one!

Greg Simas
    May 24, 2011 at 12:44 am

For me, i have to look in the mirror and ask why not? Why don’t I do what is right for my heart? Ultimately time-wasters are mere excuses. A cover-up. I do what I value.I have to lead myself, no one else can do it for me. So the “why” question is huge. So I ask myself, why is this such a problem? Really? What is really keeping me from doing this? I have to answer those questions and make changes or look back at life with regret.The rewards are great.  Oh, btw don’t to hard on yourself. 😉

Barbie Swihart
      May 24, 2011 at 5:39 am

Ha ha, my Pastor knows me so well!   “Ultimately time-wasters are mere excuses.”  This caused me to stop and ponder.  It’s a hard truth to swallow but so true!  I hope my post didn’t sound harsh on myself.  Just sharing my heart. 🙂