19 In Faith

Abiding In The Vine

“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.  Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. (John 15:1-2)

I love when I get to sit before the Lord in the Prayer Room.  It is good for my heart.  Today I opened my Bible to John, chapter 15.  I love the words of Jesus.  They are life to my spirit.  I am going to attempt to share what the Lord put on my heart while meditating on His Word today.  This is not intended to be a direct interpretation of the scripture.

Jesus said that He is the vine, and that the Father is the vinedresser.  A vine, by definition is a plant with a weak stem that derives support from climbing, twining or creeping along a surface.  Even Jesus realized that without the strength of the Father, He could bear no fruit.  I believe that the fruit that Jesus was talking about here refers to doing the works of the Father.

Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.  (John 5:19)

Jesus refers to me (and you) as a branch.  A branch, by definition is a division of a stem, or secondary stem arising from the main stem of a plant.

“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.  (John 15:5)

Abide = dwell, inhabit, live in

If I abide in the Vine (Jesus), then I have the promise of bearing fruit (doing the works of the Father).  I can do nothing in my own strength.  A branch is only as strong as the main source of it’s strength.  If I am to bear fruit, I must I remain in Jesus and allow His words to fill my heart.  If I abide in Him, the Word of God says that I can ask what I desire, and it shall be done for me.

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.  (John 15:7-8)

Does this mean that my every wish becomes God’s command?  No. But when I am abiding, I am asking for the will of the Father to be manifested in my life.  And then It is not an issue of what I can get from God but rather what I can do for God to bring Him glory.

“I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!  (John 14:12-15 NLT)

God gave me His commandments because He loves me.  And by keeping His commandments, I remain in His love.

“As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.  If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.  (John 15:9-10)

And then there’s the promise of fullness of joy, if I abide in Him.

“These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.”  (John 15:11)

When I abide in His love, His desires become my desires.  How then could I ask for anything less than the Father’s will for my life?  My heart’s desire is to be a branch that is completely overtaken by the Vine.  He alone is the source of my life, my strength.  And when I do the will of the Father, I will bear abundant fruit and He is glorified.

Father, help me to abide in You.  Help me to remain in Your love,
following Your commandments. I want my life to reflect Your glory!

Larri @ Seams Inspired
    June 30, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Abiding in Him to receive fullness of joy seems like such a simple concept, yet is so difficult to follow sometimes. Thanks for illustrating these verses in such a way that I can understand it. Happy Thursday! 🙂

June 30, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Thank you Larri. I always appreciate your visits!

Elizabeth M Thompson
    June 30, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I’m echoing your prayer this morning, Barbie!

Kerri Smith
    June 30, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Beautiful! I love the word JOY…I actually have it above my kitchen sink to remind myself daily the lesson I learned as a child J-Jesus  first, O-others second, Y-yourself last. If we put Jesus first in our lives, abiding in Him, then we will have that Joy!! Thank you for the reminder to continue to abide in Him because some days it seems more difficult than others!!

June 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Oh I love this.  I forgot all about that. Definately something that needs to be displayed where I can see it.

Michele
    June 30, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Hi Barbie, I ound you through Edie’s blog – what a beautiful home you have here!  We also have struggled through (and still are) a bad housing situation due to the economy. You are an encouragement to me! xoxo michele

June 30, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Michele, thank you for visiting.  I have found there are so many walking through this type of season that we are in.  I wrote several posts about my journey of losing our home on my blog.  I you will be encouraged as you read.  Visit again soon!

Tiffany
    July 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I spoke at a retreat in May and the theme was John 15. I shared about remaining in His love too, so I appreciate knowing this portion of the Word spoke to you in your prayer room. God is good! Thanks for stopping by my blog recently. Love from Colorado, Tiffany

July 2, 2011 at 7:41 am

Thanks Tiffany. I love the book of John.  And I love visiting your blog.

Child of God
    July 1, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I love this Barbie! I am working on abiding in Him and I tell you I would rather abide in Him than have all the riches of this world. 🙂

Blessings,

carissa graham
    July 2, 2011 at 1:26 am

there’s truly no better place to be than abiding in the I AM!

July 2, 2011 at 7:42 am

Thanks for stopping by Carissa!  Have a beautiful weekend.

Beth Ferrell
    July 4, 2011 at 10:39 am

Oh Barbie, that is SOOOOO good!  I have always loved this scripture, but the way you broke it down with the definitions made it hit home even more.

Thank you for sharing your heart!

Love,
    Beth

July 4, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Thanks Beth! There is so much more here.  I have been camped here for  a bit.

Julie T
    July 4, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Barbie,  Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving me your words and prayers.  You have truly blessed me!

July 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Happy 4th of July Julie!

Raluca Spirchez
    July 4, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Dear Barbie, thank you so much for visiting my blog and for the comment left there. Many thans for your wishes on my pregnancy! Kisses and sorry for delay…

July 5, 2011 at 6:22 am

I pray you’ve had an amazing day Raluca!