20 In Faith

Be Still My Heart

I’ve been pondering in my heart…

His goodness.

His faithfulness.

His grace and mercy.

His desire for me.

His pleasure over me.

I am purposefully trying to slow down, allowing His Words to seep deep into the crevices of my heart.  I want to be saturated with Him.  His Words are life to my Spirit.

My life is busy.  And I often neglect my First Love for the sake of other lovers — family, friends, leisure, work, blogging.  And out of this neglect comes a deep sense of my lack and my great need of Him.  I do not always nourish my Spirit Man as I should.  Some days I grab a quick scripture or two as I head out the door, desperately clinging to them throughout the day, out of a sense of near starvation.  But I cannot continue to live there, feasting on the appetizers.  I want to eat the full course meal.  He’s prepared a banqueting table for me.  He is calling me to come and partake.

I am learning to sit, to be still.  It’s not easy for me.  I am a doer, a person who often feels that if I am not doing for someone than I am missing my purpose.  But my purpose is to know Him. The One who created me in my mother’s womb, out of a heart of love.  He came — for me.  He died — for me.  And the more I press in, the more I realize that I do not know Him.  I truly do not know Him in the way that I must know Him.  I need Him more today than I did yesterday.  My prayer has been for God to “open my eyes, that I might see”.  I want to know what He looks like.  And although I cannot see Him with my human eyes, He has given me His Word which shows me His character, His attributes and His love for me.  And then I get a glimpse of Him.  And my heart is undone and yearns for more!

And so in the stillness, I ponder.

When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.” 16 So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. 17 When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, 18 and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. 19But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.20 The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.  (Luke 2:15-20)

The angels brought news of Jesus’ arrival to the shepherds.  When they came and saw Jesus for themselves, they marveled at His birth, and were excited to share the news with others.  But Mary treasured up all of these things and pondered them in her heart.

Ponder: think about, contemplate, consider, review, reflect on, mull over, meditate on, muse on, deliberate about, cogitate on, dwell on, brood on, ruminate on, chew over, puzzle over, turn over in one’s mind.

This is what I am doing in my time away from the hustle and bustle of life.  In the quietness of the morning.  In the stillness of the evening.  I am learning to be.

thinking

reflecting

contemplating

meditating

The Word of God.

In the beginning was the Word.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  (John 1:1)

Jesus is the living, breathing Word of God.  And this Man Christ Jesus, He is the treasure that I seek.  Not out of a sense of duty, because I think I have to.  But out of a sense of longing and desire.  And it’s something that I “get to do”.  Being in His presence is not a “have to”.  It’s a “get to”.  And when I choose to go, to be with Him, forsaking all other lovers, He comes, and he fills me up.  And in that place there is fullness of JOY!

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.  (Psalm 16:11)

And there in His presence I lean into Him.  I quit my soul.  I wait.  And He Comes, bringing life, joy, strength, hope and rest for my soul.  He speaks gently to my heart and I ponder.  And I ask, “What are you saying, Lord?”  “What does this mean?”  How does this apply to my life?”

Be still my heart.

Are you pondering the Word of God in your heart today?  What is He saying?

Susan
    July 18, 2011 at 11:05 am

Barbie,
    This is the cry of my heart today too.  I was sitting in church yesterday thinking that I truly don’t know my Lord and Saviour the way I need to!  Thank you for this excellent post.

July 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Thank you for visiting Susan.  Let’s continue to press in.  There is so much about Him that we still do not know.

Adoption Mama
    July 18, 2011 at 11:49 am

He is so good. Faithful. True. Always keeping his promises. Even when we fail.

Larri at Seams Inspired
    July 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Your words are imprinted in my heart. I feel the same…longing for the full course meal, not the appetizer. Thanks for sharing and inspiring. I’m off to spend more quiet time with Him. Happy Monday!

July 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Thank you Larri!  May He continue to draw you close and speak to your heart.

Kerri Smith
    July 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Far too often I forget the I “get to do” and I rush through grasping for a quick answer from a morning devotion….thank you for this reminder to just “Be Still”…to ponder what I have read and to spend time in Him, listening, reflecting and meditating! Thank you for sharing your heart this morning!

July 18, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Thank you Kerri!  Have a beautiful day!

Carolyn
    July 19, 2011 at 6:46 am

I am so needing to do this right now, to just step back, sit, be still and know that He is God!! Beautiful post of your heart longing for more of Him!

July 19, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Be blessed as you sit in His presence.  May He overwhelm you with His JOY!

Keenalynn
    July 20, 2011 at 3:49 am

I too have a hard time just being still and knowing GOD.  I am starting to read HIS Word daily and it’s my cry to know HIM more.

July 23, 2011 at 6:49 am

Praying you are enjoying some intimate times with the Lord as you read His Word.

Chelsea Brown
    July 20, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Incredible post… A reminder I needed in this particular season of my life.

July 23, 2011 at 6:49 am

Thanks Chelsea.  I appreciate your visits!

Cyndi spivey
    July 20, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I love this Barbie. It’s so important for us to spend time with the Lord and yet we are often pulled in so many different directions. Mornings are my favorite time to meditate and contemplate and study His word.
    Blessings,
    Cyndi

July 23, 2011 at 6:50 am

Thank you Cyndi.  I find that my most precious times with the Lord is when the house is quiet in the evening.  I turn on soft worship music and just allow His love to wash over me.  So thankful for those mornings when I do manage to get up before the kiddos to spend time with Him.

charis
    July 21, 2011 at 6:45 pm

i am right there with you – trying to slow down and really ponder the great hope that we have.

July 23, 2011 at 6:51 am

It’s so hard to be still.  Even when I am running here and there, I am learning how to quiet my soul and lean into Him and hear His voice.

I am His beloved
    July 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Barbie,
    You truly inspire me- your heart reflecting the light of Jesus. Thank you for your sweet, powerful words and for pointing us to His words of hope. You are beautiful and loved. I appreciate you!

July 23, 2011 at 6:52 am

Thank you so much!  God has really used you to encourage my heart today.  Have a blessed weekend.