15 In Scripture Study

Commitment to Spiritual Maturity (Songs: 4:6-8)

Last week, we looked at how the Bridegroom prophetically affirmed the budding virtues of the Bride.  (Song of Solomon 4:1-5).  He looked beyond her weaknesses and called forth what He knew was inside of her.  Today, we will discuss the Bride’s commitment to spiritual maturity.

After receiving affirmation from her Beloved, the Maiden commits to seek after spiritual maturity by going with Him to the Mountain of Myrrh.

Until the day breaks and the shadows flee away, I will go my way to the mountain of myrrh and to the hill of frankincense. (Song 4:6)

The mountain refers to those things that would hinder our journey to spiritual maturity.  There are the obstacles in our lives that would keep us from walking in obedience to Christ.  The Maiden responds with a “yes” in her spirit to seek after Him, no matter what the cost.

Myrrh was a costly and fragrant burial spice and speaks of Jesus’ death.  Although the myrrh speaks of death, it is death only to our flesh. To our spirits, it is fragrant and alive.  Jesus ascended his own mountain of myrrh when He went to the cross. We are called to “take up our cross daily and to follow after Him”.

Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.  (Luke 9:23)

Frankincense or “incense” in scripture refers to prayer.

Let my prayer be set before You as incense, the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.  (Psalm 141:2)

We climb the hill of frankincense in order to receive strength when we are faced with temptation.  The more we pray, the more power we receive.  The more we pray and fix our eyes on Jesus, the more we die to ourselves — to our own wants, needs and desires.  By communing with Him in prayer, we receive the strength to resist temptation.  The hill of frankincense is smaller than the mountain of myrrh.  It takes just a little bit of prayer to move those seemingly large mountains in our lives.

The maiden makes a decision to leave fear and her comfort zone behind and go up the mountain.  She refers to it as “my way”.  Each of us has a unique path that God has put before us to follow.  I cannot walk your path, and you cannot walk mine.  I must go my way up the mountain, and you must take the path God has set before you.  Each way to the mountain is unique.  Each one of us will face our own unique trials and challenges as we go our way to the mountain.

The Maiden is committed to going up the mountain until the day breaks and the shadows flee away. God’s mercies are new every morning.  Each new day brings new victories.  But those victories will not be realized unless we commit to go with Him to the mountain.  The shadows are areas of weakness or compromise in our lives.  Therefore, we must commit to remain on the mountain until we have the victory, fighting the battle through prayer.

New Affirmation

You are all fair (beautiful), My love, and there is no spot in you. (Song 4:7)

The Bridegroom refers to the maiden as “beautiful” 13 times in the Song of Solomon.  He has called her “beautiful or fair” 8 times up to this point.  “All fair” is translated in the NAS as “all together beautiful”.  The maiden set her heart to go to the mountain by only saying “yes”.  She had not yet gone.  But He sees no spot in her and no area where she resists His leadership.  Therefore she is ALL together beautiful.  The Lord sees our willingness to go, not our weak flesh or immaturity.

The Call to Spiritual Warfare

Come with Me from Lebanon, My spouse, with Me from Lebanon. Look from the top of Amana, from the top of Senir and Hermon, from the lions’ dens, from the mountains of the leopards. (Song 4:8)

He refers to her as His spouse for the first time in the Song. With her fresh commitment to go with Him, she is now living from her heart as a Bride.  (Over the next 4 chapters, we will see her love mature.)  Jesus longs for a Bride that is equally yoked with Him in love and invites us to come with Him from the mountains of Lebanon (of spiritual warfare) and follow Him wherever He goes.  He has called us to follow Him to the cross.  (Luke 9:23)

The Maiden now obeys the original challenge to “go with Him to the mountain”.  There, on top of the mountain, He gives us eyes to see from His spiritual perspective.  If we look at our difficulties only with our natural eyes, we will lose heart.  We must look to Him and with His perspective if we are to prevail in spiritual warfare.  She is now a warring Bride, engaged in spiritual warfare and seated in Heavenly places.

Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.  (1 Peter 5:8 NLT)

There, on the mountain, she is given strength to war against the lion who seeks to devour her.

Next week, I will have a wonderful guest post as we discuss Chapter 5.

PhotobucketI would love for you join me inn this study.  You can link up your post any time between now and Saturday, or leave your comments here.

Adoption Mama
    July 20, 2011 at 2:13 pm

this reminds me of the book, Hinds Feet in High Places….praise God the Good Shepherd is with us on the journey.

July 21, 2011 at 1:15 am

I just purchased the Hinds Feet on High Places devotional book and will be reading that soon.  I read that when I was first saved and I cannot imagine how much more I will get out of it now that I am a little farther along on my journey.

Kim
    July 20, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I like the way that he saw what was on the inside of her!

July 21, 2011 at 1:16 am

God created us.  He sees everything about us.  Even in our places of weakness, He is for us and calls forth that which is not.  He sees beyond our shell into the depths of our heart.

Daisy Escobosa
    July 20, 2011 at 4:38 pm

This was helpful, thank you.

July 21, 2011 at 1:17 am

You’re welcome Daisy.  I hope you will visit again soon.

Kerri Smith
    July 20, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I love how we (the bride) are referred to as beautiful, knowing that this is so much deeper than just physical beauty, that my God looks deep within me and STILL sees me as beautiful. Wow!

July 21, 2011 at 1:17 am

I still can’t wrap my brain around that fact — that He sees me beautiful, even when I am ugly (in though, attitude, etc.).  I love that about Him.

Greg Simas
    July 21, 2011 at 3:21 am

I have faced the mountains out of faithfulness yet missed the intimate connection of scaling them with the Lord. It’s way better to do it in partnership with Him.

Rosann
    July 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I just love Song of Songs.  I really love how you point out that with spiritual warfare we have to view it from God’s perspective, while looking to Him for our strength and wisdom.  This was a great post.  🙂

Blessings,
    Rosann

July 21, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Thank you Rosann!  Having God’s perspective when we cannot see or when we are in the midst of a trial is so key to walking our journey out with JOY!

I am off to visit your blog now!

charis
    July 21, 2011 at 4:42 pm

so much to think on in this section.  i love how frankincense speaks of prayer – incense.  as much as it is difficult to carry our own cross and embrace suffering, it really is in that place that we are one with Jesus because He said in john 15 that if that is how the world treated Him, it is how they will treat us who follow Him – so crazy that as we are willing to take on reproach for His name (myrrh or the cross) we find an intimacy available to us.

July 23, 2011 at 6:48 am

I have been thinking about what it truly means to “deny myself, take up my cross and follow Him”.  I am still at stage one, learning to deny myself.  It’s so hard when there is so many things I reach for for self gratification.  I am loving the journey though, even in the hard places.

Child of God
    July 23, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I think it is so wonderful that we can have the Holy Spirit dwell within us. All we need is to be willing to follow Jesus and His Spirit will do the rest. A willing heart ready to obey our Creator and He takes it from there. 🙂

Looking forward to next weeks study.

Blessings,

July 25, 2011 at 1:00 am

I am learning that I don’t have to have it all together.  All He needs is my “yes”, even a weak yes, and He does the rest!  Thank you for reading!