15 In Faith

My Soul Yearns

(photo credit)

I am joining Bonnie at Faith Barista today as we discuss our “whitespace” — our personal space where where we meet with God.  I have a few different places where I like to meet with the Lord on a daily basis, but none so ministers to my heart as does the Prayer Room at Convergence House of Prayer.  I am privileged to belong to this community of believers who are passionately pursuing the Lord through night and day worship and prayer.

Over the last week, a lot of songs have come forth from the Prayer Room that talk about “desire”, “yearning”, “hunger” and “thirst”.  I’ve been asking God in my personal whitespace the following questions:

1. Does my heart truly yearn for You, and You alone?
  2. Are Your desires my desires, or am I seeking after selfish ambition?
  3. What does it mean to hunger and thirst for You?

As the deer pants for the water brooks,
So pants my soul for You, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When shall I come and appear before God?  (Psalm 42:1-2)

I am learning to be still in my whitespace and listen to the yearning in my heart.  I will admit that I have a hard time “being” in His presence.  I am a “doer” by nature.  I still feel like I have to come with Bible and journal in tow, always ready to write — always ready to do something for Him.  But I must learn the art of being still.  It is vital to my spiritual growth.

During one of my “still” moments this week, the Lord began to speak to me about longing.

Longing:  a profound unfulfilled desire or need.

I was made for God.  My heart yearns and cries out for the Living God, even before my mind, will and emotions realize their need of Him.  I have tasted and seen His goodness and it has left me longing for more.  I have a beautiful family, amazing friends, a fabulous house of prayer community, etc.  But still, my heart aches.  It’s a longing so deep that it’s hard to describe with words.  But when it comes, this longing, everything within me cries out for the Living God.

I was created for Him.  To be with Him.  Inside the heart of every human being is the innate desire to know their Creator.  Our hearts were made to long for God.  This longing will never be satisfied by earthly things.  No relationship, no matter how Godly.  No amount of wealth or worldly possessions.  Nothing will ever satisfy the longing that was meant to be filled by God.

When I am not meeting with God in my personal whitespace, I am left empty and unfulfilled.  I am left longing, yearning, aching.

O God, You are my God;
Early will I seek You;
My soul thirsts for You;
My flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land
Where there is no water.  (Psalm 63:1)

I know His voice.  It’s a familiar, loving and gentle voice.  He is wooing me to come to Him so that He can fulfill this longing deep inside my heart.

“When I heard Your voice,
when You said my name,
when I heard Your voice
my heart it yearned.”

I hear the voice of my Beloved saying, “Rise up, my darling! Come away with me, my fair one!” (Song of Solomon 2:13)

And my heart responds, “I am coming Lord!”

FaithBarista_FreshJamBadgeG

Beth Ferrell
    July 8, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Oh girl, I love that photo.  I love you post as well.  I wish I had access to those places as well.  My heart longs for Him and for His presence, but everyone else pulls on my time.  Sigh.  Tonight I will be attending a miracle crusade!  I am so thankful and excited to be in an atmosphere of expectancy and freedom!  Hallelujah!

Thank you for sharing God’s beautiful Word and your heart with us.

Love,
    Beth

July 9, 2011 at 6:43 am

I can’t wait to hear all about the crusade!

Mandy
    July 8, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Love this post~ love constantly learning and reading that others are on this same journey… It’s so hard to be still, and I’m like you~ I want to do and read and talk when God just needs me to listen. My nature is sooo not quiet! But thankfully I am learning to throw off my old nature and just rest in him. Hope you have a great weekend!

July 9, 2011 at 6:44 am

I am learning how very vital stillness is to my spiritual well being!  Happy weekend!

Simplegirl
    July 8, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Beautiful post.  I yearn for him everyday and yet so many distractions.  I have made a time and place where I can be alone with him in prayer at least an hour a week, just him and I, with no interruptions at my church chapel.  I’m amazed at the graces when we dedicate time.  Have a blessed weekend Barbie and I look forward to many more of your posts as usual:-)

July 9, 2011 at 6:44 am

He has so much grace to give us, if we would just slow down and receive it!  Happy Friday!

Child of God
    July 9, 2011 at 6:33 am

My heart was pounding as I read. I too yearn for God,  I seek His face yet I am never satisfied for I want more and more of Him.
    Thanks for sharing this.

Blessings,

July 9, 2011 at 6:45 am

His supply is endless!

Janette Wright
    July 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Yes and Amen…I too want to move closer to Him…to slow down long enough to be totally filled by Him.  Great words of encouraging us to move into Him.

Hazel Moon
    July 9, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I had to smile when you stated that you are a doer and it is difficult to find time to be quiet before the Lord.  I am reminded how many thought run through my mind of things that need to be done — when it it time to get alone with God.  Pushing those thoughts aside are not easy but need to be done for the moment.  I am happy that he ministered to you with the thoughts he gave you and the scriptures you shared.

July 10, 2011 at 6:39 am

Thank you for visiting Hazel. I use to have a “dump” page in my journal. This is where I would write down those things that came to my mind that were distractions. It helps to clear my mind so that I can move forward with the “listening”. Have a lovely Sunday.

charis
    July 10, 2011 at 6:15 am

prayer room time is pretty amazing and sometimes i am really bummed i don’t get more of it with the hours that we have available.  i do, however, try to get time with the Lord at my piano and that is a place i meet with Him… and also my shower. 🙂  funny, but true.  we are looking forward to visiting your house of prayer.

July 10, 2011 at 6:37 am

I love what God is doing on the earth today with the prayer movement. I am jealous that you get to meet with him at your piano. I don’t know how to play yet, but have a desire to learn. Someday I will join you in that place! Looking forward to your visit.

Bonnie Gray
    July 11, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Oh, Barbie!  I was so excited to see you slip in the door of the jam. And what a fragrant brew you served up!  The encouragement is a gem — when we “be” instead of “do” we get in touch with our longing. And that is what is so mysteriously rich but also anti-intuitive.  Longing.  What a beautiful place to be.  (btw, I LOVE your new header – it’s perfect for your blog – fresh and new!)

July 12, 2011 at 1:40 am

Thank you Bonnie! When I read what the jam topic was, my heart just knew I had to write. I hope to join again real soon! Thank you for the header compliment. I love it too!