38 In Faith

Remembering to be Thankful

It’s been a little while since I’ve been here.  In this place of noticing the beauty that is all around me.  I have been forgetting to set my heart to be thankful.  It’s easier to see the obvious — financial provision, the health of my children, God’s faithfulness.  But, somewhere along my journey I have forgotten to stop and see those small, beautiful gifts that God leaves for me each and every day.

The beautiful roses alongside the road,

The laughter of my children as they play outside.

The smell and taste of the ripened fruit.

My daughter singing as she does the dishes.

I don’t want to miss these moments.  These are the moments that would take my breath away and fill my heart with gratitude.   But I must remember to stop, to look, to listen.  So here I am, once again, to pick up where I left off on this journey to 1000 gifts.  As I continue my journey towards simplicity, I am remembering to be thankful.

Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples!   (Psalm 105:1)

Grace gifts 196-206

196.  Words of encouragement spoken by a friend that gave life to my spirit.
197.  A fresh encounter from God on my 17yo son that has changed his life.
198.  Tears during worship today as I reflect on the man, Christ Jesus and what He’s done for me.
199.  Celebrating a bridal shower with a young woman I’ve known since she was 2 years old.
200.  A fiance of this friend who gave his heart to the Lord!
201.  Encouragement in my weight loss efforts.
202.  Acknowledgement from my husband that I am doing a good job.
203.  Tender moments between my children.
204.  Remembering that I don’t have to be all things to all people.
205.  Learning to let go of my need to please.
206.  A landlord who let us install a house fan.  Much cooler these days!

I am linking up with A Holy Experience.  Will you join me there?  Or leave a comment here and let me know what you are remembering to be thankful for today.

Mrs.B
    July 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I’m thankful! 🙂

July 26, 2011 at 12:00 am

Thank you for visiting.  Thankful to hear you are enjoying your summer!

Kelly Hallahan
    July 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm

acknowledge is so important. that someone sees and notices.  but so grateful, that One always sees.  well done, good and faithful servant! blessings

July 26, 2011 at 12:01 am

Thank you Kelly!  I appreciate your visit and your kind words today!

Jennifer_StudioJRU
    July 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Such a beautiful photo!  Words of encouragement are always such a gift. Number 202… love it! Yay for house fans! We use ours all the time and it makes such a difference! 🙂

July 26, 2011 at 12:02 am

I recently opened an account on Fotolio (which is stock photos, similar to iStockphotos).  I am not a picture taker at all so this helps me find pictures that fit my posts.  Thanks for visiting today!

Jill Jones
    July 25, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Beautiful!  Thank you for the sweet reminder to myself as well!  I have so much to be thankful for.  I let the worry of tomorrow steal the joy of today.  Thank you sweet friend.
    Hugs

July 26, 2011 at 12:02 am

You’re welcome Jill! Have a blessed day!

charis
    July 25, 2011 at 5:40 pm

these are so good.  i still need to write my post – we are so busy today getting ready for a partner open house tonight we are hosting here that i will see if i can fit it in.  i really like the one about your son’s fresh encounter with the Lord – that is always amazing as a mom to see our kids really touched by God because it is what we want for them the most.

July 26, 2011 at 12:03 am

I understand about busyness.  I haven’t linked up here for about a month.  It feels good to be back, recording my gratitude list.  Praying your partner open house goes well.  Looking forward to seeing you both at cHOP soon!

Crystal
    July 25, 2011 at 6:19 pm

There are really so very many little things that can change my attitude from despair and whining to wonder and thanks!  May your week be filled with His presence in every day.  (Just visiting from Ann’s blog.)

July 26, 2011 at 12:03 am

Thank you Crystal.  I appreciate you stopping by!

Jen
    July 25, 2011 at 6:24 pm

One of the most beautiful lists of thanks I have read so far.  Especially love…tears during worship when you focus on the man, Jesus.  I can so relate.  A crier, each week. As I step into His House and reflect on Amazing Grace…and His blessed name….Jesus!  Enriched by your list ~ Jen

July 26, 2011 at 12:04 am

Thank you so much Jen!  Your post blessed me so much today as well!

Erin
    July 25, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I’m thankful that I have a supportive husband who encourages me to shine!
    ~Erin

Adoption Mama
    July 25, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Letting go of the need to please…that’s a hard one sister. One that I fight daily…fearing God over man. Beautiful list.

July 26, 2011 at 12:11 am

Me too!  I listed it in faith, knowing I am a little farther along, but have a ways to go!

Katie Troup
    July 25, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I love 196-206, what precious gifts to be thankful for, and a good reminder to continue looking for grace gifts! Thanks Barbie! Happy Monday to you!

July 26, 2011 at 12:11 am

Thank you for visiting Katie!  I appreciate it!

Beth Ferrell
    July 25, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Oh friend, I think of so many things that bless me and make my heart flutter during the day — then I forget by the time it comes to write them down.

You have some wonderful sweet blessings.

BTW … I just took your button!  I thought I had it already!  I placed it under my favorite blogs — of course!

July 26, 2011 at 12:14 am

Beth, this happens to me all the time.  Ann has a free printable each month, where you can record your daily blessings.  Not that I use it all the time, but I think I will download it again and try.  It helps to record them daily, then when it comes time to post, it’s already there.  It’s hard when you have to remember them.

Thanks for grabbing the button!  I so appreciate that.  I haven’t figured out how to display them on my new blog.  I am hoping to use my “featured bloggers” in place to drive traffic to all the sites I love.

Blessings!

Inspiratiionsbyd
    July 25, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Love this post Barbie!  Those are beautiful graces, just beautiful.  I’m so thankful too.

July 26, 2011 at 12:14 am

Thanks for your visit!

Stefanie Young Brown
    July 25, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I’m rejoicing with you regarding #197!  Praise Him!!!
    #205 is one I must lay down daily.  I long to please HIM and HIM alone…
    Blessings, friend…

July 26, 2011 at 12:05 am

Yes!  I want to please God and not care about what others think.  Still learning this one.  I am a little farther along.

carissa graham
    July 26, 2011 at 7:21 am

gorgeous picture!  i’m thankful for moments with family this week… they are so bittersweet.  you sure have a beautiful list going!  thank you for your sweet words and prayers.  you’re a blessing.

July 26, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Thanks Carissa.  I use Fotolio.com for most of my pictures, as I do not take many photos myself.  I forgot to link back for this one!  Thanks for stopping by!

Amy Nabors (@amykiane)
    July 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm

It’s so easy to forget to slow down and notice the gifts. What a wonderful list.

July 26, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Thanks for visiting Amy!

QuitEatingOut
    July 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm

What a gorgeous photo!  As someone who’s struggling to get out of auto~mode, I am in awe of your photography!  I love the list you’ve created and have long loved The One Thousand Gifts idea.  Thinking that may be a fun thing to start as a new season is quickly upon us.

July 26, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Thank you for your visit.  Oh, I cannot take credit for the photo. I downloaded it from Fotolio.com.  I forgot to link back!  Yikes!  Walking this journey towards 1000 gifts is really helping me to open my eyes to what I am truly thankful for!

Cherie
    July 26, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Glad to have met you through Ann!  I see the theme of encouragement in your list this week -that is a treasured gift for sure!

Kerri Smith
    July 27, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Beautiful post! So often the day will fly by and I forget how many blessings I have encountered throughout it! It truly is amazing how often I am blessed…thank you for reminding me to  slow down and acknowledge them!
    Blessings

July 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Have a beautiful, blessed day Kerri!

Aleks Nearing
    July 27, 2011 at 12:28 pm

It is so important to remember that!  I usually have a moment of gratitude whenever I listen to the news – suddenly my life starts to sound pretty good and I don’t feel like complaining about anything!  Thanks for coming to visit 🙂  Lily’s having a ball in her sparkle shoes every evening!

July 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I know what you mean. I stopped watching the news or reading the paper. It was getting too overwhelming! Have a great day.

Cherry
    July 29, 2011 at 3:33 am

Thanks for visiting me at Pursuing Heart earlier this week … I enjoyed reading your gratitude list.  A good reminder to be grateful for the little things that we can take for granted!