24 In Faith

Unshakable Confidence

Faith.

It is a small word with huge meaning.  By definition, faith means to have complete trust or confidence in someone or something. But it’s hard to understand faith without first understanding trust and confidence.

Trust = a firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something.

Confidence = the feeling or belief that one can rely on someone or something; firm trust.

God is always good.  Even in those times when I cannot see or understand.  When my heart fails me and my emotions tell me otherwise, I choose to trust and believe in His goodness towards me.

But it is not always easy to have faith for those things which might appear to be impossible.

A broken marriage.

A child with cancer.

The loss of a job.

These are mountains that tower far above what my natural eye can see or what my mind can understand.  These are the things that do not make sense.  These are the things that cause me to stop and ask, “Why God?”, instead of reaching up to lay hold of the faith for that which is yet to be.  Perhaps a disappointment from my past, or an “unanswered prayer”, or so in my mind, is holding me back from grabbing onto the hem of His garment and believing for the impossible.

But God does not require much in the area of faith.  As a matter of fact, he requires very little.

“You don’t have enough faith,” Jesus told them. “I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it would move. Nothing would be impossible.”  (Matthew 17:2o)

Have you ever seen a mustard seed.  It is very small.  So small that it’s hard to get a hold of.  At times when my faith is week, it’s hard to pull on the promises of God.  I want to reach out and touch the hem of His garment, crying out “Yes, Lord, I have faith to believe!”.  But yet I feel weak and fragile.  In those times of desperation, I cry out to God and offer up to Him what little faith I do have.

And God honors that kind of faith.

The faith that says, “I trust You God, to restore my marriage”.

The faith that says, “I believe, Lord, that You can heal my child.”

The faith that says, “I know You have a plan and purpose for my life.”

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.” -Martin Luther King, Jr.

When my faith is weak, I find hope and strength in the Word of God.  And for me, sometimes that first step is praying back to myself the promises laid out to me in the scriptures.  There, I anchor myself, allowing the Word of God to nourish my soul.  And in this place new hope is birthed.

It is the hope of tomorrow, when today has overwhelmed me.

It is the hope of an open window, when the door standing in front of me is closed.

It is the hope of wisdom, when I lack understanding.

It is the hope of joy, when my heart is full of sadness.

Faith.
It is “an unshakable confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time.” -Oswald Chambers.

I desire to live a life of faith.  I want to be firmly planted, like a tree by streams of living water, whose roots go down deep into the soil of His rich love and mercy.  When the wind comes and the waves crash, I will not be moved.  God is faithful.  He is always good.

How can I not but put my hope and trust in a God who cares for me with that kind of love?

I’m linking up today with the Faith Barista Jam.  Won’t you join me?

FaithBarista_FreshJamBadgeG

Debbie
    July 15, 2011 at 11:49 am

So glad you joined in to the Faith Barista Jam today Barbie.  I loved your post.  I love your heart for God.  Faith can be challenged in this world, especially when we don’t SEE answers to our prayers now.  But faith continues to believe and to trust and obey.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie

July 15, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I’ve been trying to get back to linking up with Faith Barista for a long time.  It feels good to be back there!  Blessings!

July 15, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Chelsea Brown
    July 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Incredible post! Such a powerful reminder.

manda
    July 15, 2011 at 3:01 pm

i needed to read this. i want to have stronger faith but it’s hard. really hard. thanks for posting 🙂

July 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Praying that God would encourage your heart and strengthen you in your faith today!

July 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Linda
    July 15, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I Loved this devotional this morning and I passed it on.  I love your blog and I love listening to my Grandson Jared’s music composition playing as I read here!  (smiling with Grandma pride!)

Have a blessed day!

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

July 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Thank you Linda!  Oh I love the music Jared created for me too.  Fits my blog perfectly!

July 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Adoption Mama
    July 15, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Without Christ, All is for not. I am unable. He is able. Praise to the Almighty Creator.

July 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I love this!  Thank you!

July 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I love this!  Thank you!

Diana
    July 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Faith is what I hold onto… I have to with everything that I handle in my life. It’s hard, as a human, to remember to always give it to the Lord, to keep your faith strong in Him… to let HIM be the carrier of your heavy luggage. I know this, I struggle with it every day. But my faith in Jesus is always there, no matter what… I love Him, I praise His Name, I send my prayers to Him without ceasing. Thank you for this post… it helped my heart so much. It helped my mind to take hold of those reminders, to strengthen the hold of my faith.

(P.S. To answer your comment from a while back… we “met” through Lynnette’s blog. 🙂 )

July 15, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Thank you Diana for visiting and commenting.  My faith has really been tested this last year.  Some days I find I am literally holding on for dear life!  Even when I feel like I can’t hold on any longer, I know He’s got me in the palm of His hand.

I will have to pop over to your blog!  Have a beautiful weekend!

Linda
      July 16, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Oh, I like that Diana…”to let HIM be the carrier of your heavy luggage”!  I pictured in my mind, a little kid dragging a big suitcase along…struggling with it, when his daddy is standing right there telling him to give it to him!

Laura
    July 15, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I thank God for His grace for every moment, every reach, every turning of the head towards faith in my life.

July 15, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I am thankful too Laura!

Beth Ferrell
    July 15, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I stumbled upon the Faith Barista’s Jam this morning.  It inspired my latest post today.

I love your post my friend.

God bless you today!
    Beth

July 15, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Thank you my friend.  I will look forward to reading your post.

Kerri Smith
    July 16, 2011 at 1:48 am

Beautiful post!  Faith is a struggle sometimes, but to know that He is faitful, even when I am faithless helps me strive for just that mustard seed worth!
    Blessings,
    ~Kerri

July 17, 2011 at 6:43 am

Even when our love is weak, He is still faithful.  I love that about Him.

charis
    July 17, 2011 at 5:29 am

faith is so deep and i feel like i am just scratching the surface of really knowing it and walking it out.  i think walking in faith is the hardest when prayers aren’t answered and we have to keep our hearts un-offended and trusting in His love and care and leadership.

July 17, 2011 at 6:43 am

Trusting is hard when we cannot so and our prayers go unanswered.  That’s when I cling to hope.