35 In Faith

Beautiful Moments

© ivan kmit - Fotolia.com

I had a whirlwind week last week.  My 6th grader and I started homeschooling two weeks ago and well, last week we quit.  We came to the decision together that homeschooling, at least in this season in our lives, was not the best for her.  So on Wednesday, she will be starting public school with her brother. Needless to say, she’s extremely excited and I am relieved.  It was a struggle.  And because I work full time it was almost impossible to get all of her assignments completed in one day.  I still have hopes of homeschooling her.  I know in God’s perfect timing it will happen.

I didn’t write down anything last week that I was thankful for and considered skipping the link up this morning.  But, I know that God has given to me moments of beauty that have made an impression in my mind and on my heart.  Those are the gifts that I celebrate today.

Grace Gifts 253-263

253.  No longer struggling to make something work that was not in God’s timing.
254.  Excited children as we finish up back to school shopping today.
255.  The discovery of Easy Lunch Boxes!  I can’t wait to see how these work out for my kids.
256.  Coming home to a clean house!
257.  Beautiful skies that take my breath away.
258.  Still moments in the late evening to spend with my Savior.
259.  A reminder that it’s “not by might, nor by power, but by His Spirit”.
260.  Lost toys found underneath the couch.
261.  The grace to fast and pray.
262.  Sleeping in!
263.  Safety of friends and loved ones as Hurricane Irene came and went.
*And praying for families of loved ones lost.

I am linking up with A Holy Experience today, where we are counting our gifts to 1,000.  Will you join us?  Or leave me a comment here and tell me one beautiful moment that you shared with God last week.

Allison Lundstrom
    August 29, 2011 at 5:57 pm

It is hard to give something up, even if it isn’t working out. I am sure you will see God’s plan in this decision for both you and your daughter. I too am grateful that so many people made it through the storm safely, and am praying for those who have lost both family and property.

Visiting from Ann’s place.

August 29, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Thank you Allison for stopping by!

Kerri Smith
    August 29, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I love your #253 and #259!! Such a reminder that we can not do things(or at least do things well!!) without Him.  Bless you, friend as you continue to hope and pray regarding homeschooling in His perfect timing!

August 29, 2011 at 11:48 pm

I have been reminded more than once over the last week that I cannot do anything in my own strength. Why do I even try?  Ugh!  So thankful for a God who is constantly there with a gentle nudge.

Amy@Make me a Mary
    August 29, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Praise God for the peace that comes with letting things go and simplifying your life. Blessings to you and your family in this season. Love, love love your list!

August 29, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Thank you Amy!

Jocelyn
    August 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I hope she has a successful year in school and that everything will work out in accordance to God’s will! 🙂  Love your list and wish you a blessed week with more gifts to be grateful for 🙂

August 29, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Thank you Jocelyn!

Lisa
    August 29, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Barbie, it sounds like we had similar thoughts this morning.  Because I had just been going through the motions much of last week, it was harder for me to list my blessings today.  But I’m so thankful for God’s grace and mercy.  He is a great Father and His gifts are all around us.  Love your list today.  #256 is wonderful indeed. 🙂

August 29, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I am thankful you listed yours as well.  I find sometimes the greater blessings come when we purpose to be thankful even in hard times.

Child of God
    August 29, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Hi Barbie,
    Good for you to realize this might not be the best time for homeschooling. 🙂 259!! By His Spirit!! Praise God!

Carolyn
    August 29, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Glad you have peace about your decision and God’s timing, home schooling is a huge commitment and one that definately requires the right timing 🙂

August 29, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Cami @ First Day of My Life
    August 29, 2011 at 10:41 pm

This is so wonderful and beautiful. Thank you for the blessing today <3

<3-Cami from First Day of My Life

August 29, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Thanks for stopping by Cami!

Kellie
    August 30, 2011 at 12:44 am

Thank you for visiting my blog.  You’re blog is lovely, and I can really relate to your list — well maybe not the clean house part. ; )  When my daughter entered 6th grade we made the decision to put her in school as well.  It turned out to be a great decision, but it’s still a hard thing to do.  Blessings to you and your family.

August 30, 2011 at 3:44 am

Thank you Kellie for stopping by!  I really appreciate it.

Joan
    August 30, 2011 at 12:48 am

Hi Barbie:

I especially like # 253. It is such a relief when we let go of something and yield to God’s plans.

Blessings,
    Joan

Maria @ Linen & Verbena
    August 29, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Barbie, I’m sorry the homeschooling didn’t work out.  But like you said, maybe it is not time.  The good thing is that if in the future you decide to go that route, you will have more knowledge about the amount of workit requires.  I have no kids but reading some of the blogs from mom who homeschool, I am in awe of everything they do.  I am already in awe of moms in general but to add homeschooling seems almost heroic.

August 29, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Thanks Maria for stopping by and for your comment.  Yes, I have always looked up to homeschooling moms.  They always seem to have it all together.  But knowing several moms who homeschool, I know that isn’t true.  Although I will say they are very disciplined and organized.  I know that when that time comes, God will open the door.  Have a great rest of the day.

Carrie
    August 29, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Thank you for visiting my site!  I’m so sorry that homeschooling wasn’t working for you.  The first time I started, I quit within the first two months and re-enrolled my daughter.  But God kept working on me.  I’ve now been homeschooling all 4 for close to two years.  I love your #256 – I am very spoiled and have a cleaning angel twice per month.  She came this morning so I sit here in a gleaming kitchen!  Enjoyed reading your list – thank you for deciding to link up this week!

August 29, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Carrie, thanks for stopping by. That is a true blessing to have a cleaning angel.  It is a dream of mine to have one too!

charis
    August 30, 2011 at 2:12 am

timing is everything so many times!  glad you are finding peace with what the timing is for your family right now!

Keenalynn
    August 30, 2011 at 3:13 am

sorry that the home schooling isnt working for you at this time.   Hopefully, one day!!

August 30, 2011 at 3:44 am

Thank you ladies!

Simplegirl
    August 30, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I enjoyed your Grace gifts, I wish for # 262 and I’m working on # 261.  God bless!

September 1, 2011 at 5:15 am

Thanks for stopping by.  I really appreciate it!

carissa
    August 30, 2011 at 6:33 pm

good for you for trying it out, being honest about it, and realizing it’s not what God has for you at this time.  i think we automatically assume that homeschooling is a higher calling than public or private school; however, God’s will for each family in particular seasons is the highest calling – even if it means public school!

September 1, 2011 at 5:15 am

I so appreciate your encouragement Carissa!  God knows what He’s doing.  I choose to trust Him for the timing!

Jennifer_StudioJRU
    August 30, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Oh goodness… #253… what a gift when we can see something is not in God’s timing and be able to let it go. Letting go of the struggle is a blessing itself. Peace takes over. Love those moments. Beautiful list Barbie!

September 1, 2011 at 5:16 am

Thanks for stopping by Jennifer!

Jennifer
    August 30, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Hello, Barbie!  I am so glad you have peace about your decision to stop for now but will still consider homeschooling down the road.  Homeschooling is one of the hardest things I have ever undertaken but it has blessed me in so many ways, too.  Don’t feel discouraged; it IS hard, even for those of us with some experience.   When the time is right, it will still be hard but the obstacles will not be insurmountable.  I think you are brave for even trying when you work full-time – WOW!

September 1, 2011 at 5:16 am

I really appreciate your encouragement.  Thanks for stopping by my blog!

trooppetrie
    August 31, 2011 at 4:00 pm

sometimes when my week is hard and long i take a moment to write down my list and it seems so much lighter

September 1, 2011 at 5:17 am

The more I purpose in my heart to be thankful and to write my list down, the more I realize how truly blessed I am!  It’s been great practice and I am learning to give thanks in all things.  Thanks for stopping by my blog!