Celebrating 23 Years

This past weekend my husband and I celebrated our 23rd wedding anniversary.  We met in October of 1987, were engaged just three months later, and married in August of 1988.  I didn’t even know this man for a solid year before we started our lives together, and I had only come to know the Lord just 3 years prior.  He was my knight in shining armor, minus the white horse.  In a sense, he rescued me.  I had several very bad relationships before him and God brought him into my life at a very pivotal time.  I think some questioned our love and whether it was real.  On our third date I came home and told my grandmother I had met the man I was to marry, and the rest was history.

I love him more today than I did the day I married him.  I suppose that is a good sign.  We have had our share of difficulties, especially over the last few years.  But we are committed to our marriage.  We are committed to staying true to ourselves and one another through times of testing and in times of lack.  We are committed to trust God to continue to provide for us during this season.  God has proven himself faithful to us and our children and I am looking forward to another 23+ years with the man I love.   We have so much to be thankful for.

On our wedding day!

Grace Gifts 242-252

242.  For in-luvs who graciously took my two youngest so we could get away for the weekend.
243.  Financial blessings to help us with our weekend!
244.  Sharing our favorite ice cream.
245.  Renting a paddle boat and spending an hour out on the lake.
246.  Sharing hopes and dreams for the future.
247.  That we are stronger today than we were the day we were married.
248.  That we have not allowed our struggles to define our relationship.
249.  For a man who is committed to our relationship, and loves me unconditionally.
250.  That I am learning what “true love” means, still today.
251.  For a God who sees our future and provides hope every day.
252.  For new adventures and memories made.

I am linking up today with A Holy Experience where we are listing what we are thankful for.  Will you join me, or simply leave a comment below and tell me what you are thankful for this week.

1. Anonymous says:

Awwww Barbie.  Congratulations!  Happy Anniversary!  You look lovely in your wedding gown.  So young and innocent … ah, can you imagine knowing NOW what you didn’t know then?

We are right on your heels.  Our 22 is this November.

I’m glad you had a special weekend!

Love ya!

2. Happy Anniversary !  So glad you go the chance to celebrate just the two of you!

3. Adoption Mama says:

Congratulations, Barbie. I have a husband whom I am so thankful for as well. Love him, love him, love him. Thanks for your list…encouraged me to be thankful in all things today.

4. Lisa Syler says:

Happy Anniversary, Barbie!  We just celebrated our 31st and, while it has been far from easy many times, we have made the decision to remain true to our vows.  God is faithful…and all we have and who we are we owe back to Him!  Blessings abundant to you,  Lolli  (aka Lisa)

5. Kelley says:

Congrats! Happy Anniversary! Love your 250 Grace gift. Isnt it so true that each year we learn what true love means.

6. Jill Jones says:

Beautiful!  Happy Anniversary!  What a cute couple.  You guys still look the same.  I am so glad that God provide a way and a time for you to be able to get away and be just you!   So thankful for His faithfulness the last 23 years and for what will come.  He is so good to us Barbie, thankful for your blog and your wise words and friendship.  Glad you had a blessed weekend.

• Barbie says:

Thank you my sweet friend.  It was a good time to get away.  It was great to talk with the constant interruption of children!  Have a great day!

7. Jennifer_StudioJRU says:

Happy Anniversary Barbie!  Congratulations! I did not know my husband for a full year before we were married either. When you know, you know, right?! Such a beautiful list of gifts. A beautiful list of love! A paddle boat on the lake sounds like so much fun. 🙂

8. Amy McI says:

Happy Anniversary to you!

I am with you on the financial blessings…..we have been getting some of those to help keep us going.

Have a great week!

9. Sarah Ussery says:

Thank you for sharing your list. Congrats on 23 years! I look forward to when my husband and I celebrate that! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and your sweet comments!

10. Theresa says:

Happy Anniversary.  What a beautiful wedding photo!

11. Lisa says:

Barbie, our stories are so similar.  In a couple weeks we will celebrate our 22nd anniversary.  We met in July 1988 and were engaged in January 1989.  We were married in September 1989.  I had only known my hubby 6 months by the time we got engaged, but I knew the minute I met him that I was going to marry him.  And it does just keep getting better. 🙂  Wonderful list of blessings!

12. Child of God says:

Happy 23rd anniversary!!! What a beautiful looking couple. 🙂
    Marriage is tough but with the love of God and lots of forgiveness we can make it through. Blessings on your marriage and your family.

13. Lisa Beets says:

Happy Anniversary!  {I guess 1988 was a great year to get married – our 23rd was in July} 🙂

14. Maria @ Linen & Verbena says:

Barbie, Happy Anniversary!  Sounds like you had a very lovely weekend.  Couples like you give me hope for a long marriage one day.  Warm hugs.

15. Joan says:

Congratulations and many blessings to you and your husband!

Living for Him, Joan

16. Donna says:

So wonderful! My 20th wedding anniversary is right around the corner and our story is similar to yours. Happy Anniversary!

17. Kerri Smith says:

Happy Anniversary! I am glad you had a chance to get away to celebrate!!

18. Debbie says:

Congratulations to you and your hubby Barbie!  What a sweet story.  You look too cute in that wedding photo.  Sounds like lots of good memories.

Blessings and love,

19. Joan says:

Happy belated anniversary! I loved your list this week – you are truly blessed. My husband and I celebrated 27 years of marriage in June and we knew each other less than a year before our marriage. Like you, our marriage has not been without trials, but I think many of those have served to draw us closer together as a couple.

20. Kim says:

Congrats!  We do go through things in long marriages but it make us stronger…