Old or Vintage?

© Dmitry Pichugin - Fotolia.com

I am linking up with The Gypsy Mama today for the 5 Minute Friday.  This is where I get to write however I want, without striving for perfection. No editing here (except to add a picture or to make any scriptures look pretty).  Just real and raw, straight from my heart to yours.

Today’s Prompt:  Older

Ready.  Set.  Go!

I had a conversation with my kids a while back.  They have heard me say how I am getting older.  My body hurts, I can’t remember what day of the week it is.  I put food that is supposed to go in the refrigerator in the freezer, and vice versa.  I blame a lot of the things I can’t do, or don’t do well, on the fact that I am getting older.

My youngest son (8) was visiting his grandparents a while back and told them they were getting older.  Well, actually, he said they were “vintage”.  Out of the mouths of babes.   If you’ve ever gone vintage hunting, then you know that these items are often priceless.  They each come with a unique story.  Often tarnished, you wonder where they came from. What lives have they touched?

And I wonder as I get older, will I be like the vintage heirlooms that I’ve brought into my home. Will my life tell a story?  Will those who come after me sit and talk about the impact I’ve made on their lives, the beauty that was fond laying underneath my tattered and old body.

I may be getting older, but I hope that with age comes wisdom for the next generation.  My prayer is that my life would count for something.  That it would speak to the generations that are following behind me.  I pray that I would be known as my smart young son said — “vintage”.  Old, but still worth something.

Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come.  (Psalm 71:18)

*     *     *     *

Have you decided that you would like to give the 5 Minute Friday a try?  Here is how it works:

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Get a little crazy with encouragement for the five minuter who linked up before you.

I dare you to try it.  You just might love it like I do!

1. Kimberly Coyle says:

Absolutely wonderful. I love this:)

2. Anonymous says:

Loved this, Barbie! Loved it.
    “I pray that I would be known as my smart young son said — “vintage”.  Old, but still worth something.”
    Amen! Bless you friend, and Happy Anniversary… I meant to comment the other day but never made it over here! 😉

3. Anonymous says:

beautiful thoughts.  i hope for the same.

4. Kim says:

“Out of the mouths of babes: vintage.”
    I love it! That has a much more solid, clear, deep ring to it than “old”. I have never thought of myself as a vintage heirloom, and I love the analogy.
    Thanks for the fresh perspective.

5. Sarahlucknc says:

Beautiful! And such a unique way to think of growing older! I think this should be a prayer for all of us! Thank you for sharing your wonderful heart with all of us… you are touching many, right this very moment!

6. Oh I love that thought! Yes vintage is so much better than just older. Great post!

7. Kerri Smith says:

Old, but still worth something!! Love it!!
    Great post….and I took the challenge and joined in this week, thanks for the nudge!!

8. Genny says:

I HAVE to join in on this one Friday! Love the idea, and I love your writing. You have such a beautiful way with words, and such a beautiful heart. I love getting older (minus the wrinkles and additional gray hairs, lol!) and how things just become clearer. Wouldn’t it be great if we knew what we know now when we were 20? 🙂
    Hugs to you!

9. kellysuekelly.blogspot.com says:

LOVE THIS! I love Vintage stuff. and People! Your son is brilliant and you are too. I pray the same thing for myself…great post!

10. Jenny H says:

Beautiful post.  I too, wonder the exact same thing.  What kind of life will my story tell and will I have any kind of impact?  Well said.  I am going to bookmark this one.  🙂

11. Jocelyn says:

Very much enjoyed this post – very beautifully written! I’m 20, but I feel the same sometimes, haha 😉  who puts milk in the closet? and forgets stuff that’s not written down? anyway – I completely agree… each of our lives should leave behind a legacy. 🙂

Thanks for faithfully stopping by my blog – I can’t tell you how MUCH I appreciate your comments!
    God bless! Hope you have a bright and blessed weekend!

12. Lisa says:

““vintage”.  Old, but still worth something.”  I like that and I hope the same will be said of me. 🙂

13. Steph says:

Oh I love that. I want to be vintage too. I desire my life to tell a story. Beautifully written Barbie.

14. Kristi says:

Beautifully written, sweet friend. I know you will have many wonderful stories to tell! Thank you for being such a sweet blogging friend. Blessings to you!

15. “Will my life tell a story?”  Great thought to ponder –  I hope my life tells a good story.  Enjoyed your words today!

16. Barbie, I absolutely love what you’ve written here. Vintage. I never, ever thought about it that way. Lord, may we ALL be old, but worth something. May our lives count for something, and may we bring glory to You in all that we do.

17. Lea says:

Oh, I love this! I’m with you, I want to always be worth something, no matter my age.  I’ve been trying to encourage my Dad with the fact that he still has his mind and his servants heart.  While his body has failed him, the Lord can still use him.  He is still struggling to wrap his head around that fact and I’m sure I would too if I were him.

Blessings to you for a wonderful week!

18. Stephani says:

Wonderful post Barbie!  I too wonder what I will have left for those behind.  How will I be remembered.  But I am realizing that doing what God wants me to do each moment is what is important. What others think of it ultimately has no bearing on my eternal destiny or reward.  What does God think of it?   Thanks so much for sharing from your heart.

• Barbie says:

Oh yes, I want to please God first and foremost.  When others look at what I’ve done, I want them to see the hand of God all over it!  Thanks for stopping by!

19. Linda says:

“Vintage”, I love it! What a great way to look at our lives as we get older and to meditate on the attributes of something that is aged but of great value, and with the Lord’s help pursue those attributes and virtues. Thanks for the post!