9 In Scripture Study

Testing Reveals Maturity (Song of Songs, Chapter 5)

*My friend Patrick of History is Hiring is back this week as we complete our
discussion of Chapter 5 of Song of Solomon.

So have you had time to think about your response to the testing that was revealed in last weeks post?

I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem,
If you find my beloved,
That you tell him I am lovesick! (Song 5:8)

I AM LOVESICK is her first response!  In complete humility she asks the very ones that wounded her to help her find the One that she loves.

This dazzling reaction from the Bride in all the testing provokes the daughters of Jerusalem (less spiritual believers) to essentially ask one question.

“What is your beloved more than another beloved?” (Song 5:9)

This gives us some insight into the daughters of Jerusalem.  It tells us that they have multiple beloveds, but it also tells us that they are intrigued by her response and are longing to love someone like she does.

Does your response in the midst of testing draw immature believers to ask, “Why are you so lovesick with this man Jesus?”

The Bride’s answer to their question is one of great detail and passion.

“My beloved is white (dazzling, NAS)…and chief among ten thousand. 11 His head is like the finest gold; His locks are wavy…12 His eyes are like doves…13 His cheeks are like a bed of spices…His lips are lilies…14 His hands are rods of gold…His body is carved ivory…15 His legs are pillars of marble…His countenance is like Lebanon…16 His mouth is most sweet, Yes, He is altogether lovely. This is my Beloved, and this is my friend… (Song 5:10-16)

The spiritual interpretation that Mike Bickle gives to this really opened my eyes.

His head – His sovereign leadership over all.
His locks – His dedication to God and the Church.
His eyes – His infinite knowledge, wisdom, understanding and discernment.
His cheeks – His diverse emotional makeup.
His lips – His word.
His hands – His divine activity.
His body – His tender compassion.
His legs – His walk and administration of His purposes.
His countenance – His impartation to His people.
His mouth – Intimacy with Him.
He’s altogether lovely – His comprehensive beauty.
He is my Beloved and my Friend.

Wow! Has Jesus been revealed to you in these ways?  I love how the Bride describes her Beloved from head to toe and then ends by saying “He is my Beloved and my Friend.”  The Bride’s answers reveal her heart and her response has shown the great levels of maturity that she is now walking in.

When you are in times of trouble do you gaze on the wonderful aspects of God?  I want to challenge you this week to pay attention to how you respond in trials, from small to big, and remember to look at the many facets of our loving God.

*     *     *

Patrick blogs at History is Hiring where he researches, writes, and share posts of past and present history makers and shakers that are fueling the righteous raise of our future.  He includes articles on movements, messages, multimedia, manuscripts, music, etc., all of which have influenced history.  He also shares his own personal history as encouragement to others.   Please visit Patrick’s blog and check out past and present articles as well as share possible “stories” that you think would make a great post.

PhotobucketIt’s your turn.  Link up your post here, or simply leave a comment below and let me know how God is speaking to you on this journey.

Child of God
    August 3, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Thanks Barbie this was great!

August 4, 2011 at 4:59 am

Thank you my friend!

Sharyl
    August 4, 2011 at 11:55 am

Oh my, when did you enter my head, heart and spirit.  Mike Bickle stuff was phenomenal.  Several friends have mentioned his stuff, need to pick up the book.  Seeing a kindred spirit between us.  Friends visiting Jesus Culture conference, if you get a chance, it is being live streamed on the internet.  Kim Walker Smith led worship yesterday and I was blown away.

I read this post yesterday morning while hubby was at the doctor, too hard to comment from my phone so I knew I needed to get back here and thank you for posting this.  God Bless you sweet friend!!!

August 4, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I haven’t gotten a chance to view the stream from the Jesus Culture conference yet. I hear it’s been amazing! Thankful I found you in blogland!

Anonymous
    August 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I LOVE Song of Solomon and I love these posts with interpretations of the scriptures.  I am lovesick for Him.  I can’t get enough of my Lord.

Bless you today!
    Beth

Kerri Smith
    August 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm

This study has given me a deeper love for my God and a desire to continually pursue this true love relationship. Thank you again Patrick for your insight and Barbie my friend, for this study! I have been thinking about the question you asked me last week and I would really like to pick apart some of the Psalms. They are so poetic and have such great thought provoking words….not sure what that would look like but I will leave it in your capable hands!! Looking forward to continuing this study and seeing what God places on your heart for the next one!

August 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Wonderful Kerri! And can I tell you what joy it’s been to take this journey with you? This is what I love about the blog world. Even though we’ve never met face-to-face, I feel like I know you and that we are becoming kindred spirits and friends. And this may be confirmation, as God has been putting the Psalms on my heart. But I will let you know what’s in store for the next journey!

Larri at Seams Inspired
    August 6, 2011 at 12:50 am

Excellent! And I accept the challenge. 🙂 Thanks for the insight into these verses. I’m soaking it up! Happy Friday 🙂