27 In Faith

The Gift of Hospitality

Hospitality is one of those gifts that was low on my spiritual gifts assessment.  Not because I don’t love people.  But because I am more focused on preparing a proper environment before inviting people in. I get a little stressed out (okay, a lot stressed out) when I know people are coming over.  I go on an all-day cleaning spree the day before in order to make my home just right.  After all, I cannot invite people in to a home that is less than perfect, right?  But then I realize that I am striving for a perfection that will never be.  And because I am in this place, I have a hard time “seeing” that God truly has gifted me with hospitality.  It just looks different.

I have a heart for God’s people.  I have a heart for His church.  I love the people that come through the doors of Convergence House of Prayer, where I am not only privileged to sing, pray and minister, but privileged to serve on staff as an office administrator.  Part of my job is to welcome people in, to follow up, answer their questions, point them to ministries and direct them to classrooms.  I smile, I greet, I even serve food (gotta love those family Sunday food gatherings).  Although all of this is part of my job profile as an admin, I never realized before that this is how God has gifted me with hospitality — to make His sheep feel welcome in His house.

Hospitality doesn’t always have to be the momma with the apron on, who has cooked for 6 hours, with the spotless kitchen, tidy home and unrealistically clean kids.  It can be the momma who orders take out for her guests, who invites them out onto the back deck, while allowing the kids to run and play and get dirty.  Or, you can be like me.  The momma with the full time job who is called to greet others and make them feel welcome.  We are all called to minister to those in need, whatever that need may be.

Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
(Romans 12:13)

No matter where we live or work, God has gifted each of us with a measure of hospitality.  We encounter people on a daily basis.  Whether it’s in our homes theirs, a coffee shop, our workplace or the grocery store , we are called to bring hospitality to others (the friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers).  We are called to bring the fragrance of Christ to others.

Linking up with the Faith Barista’s Faith Jam today.  Be sure to visit for more posts about hospitality.

FaithBarista_FreshJamBadgeG

Judy
    August 12, 2011 at 6:54 am

awesome Barbie!!!! Love you!  Really want to find a dim sum time with you, pork buns here we come!

August 12, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Thank you for visiting my blog Judy!  I appreciate you so much.  I am up for Pork Buns any time. Bring it on!

Organicskinchick
    August 12, 2011 at 9:12 am

Once again I am I am moved and inspired by your writing. More importantly I appreciate how much it shows me more of who you are. I am delighted to get to know better after near 15 years of knowing you,with most of those yrs being long distance. The beauty of blogging (and fb!), brings hearts closer no mattertalk howfar apart they, no matter how far apart they are.I pray God will increase the anointing He has given you. May He expand your tent stakes.

Anonymous
    August 12, 2011 at 9:53 am

I didn’t even join the faith jam yesterday because I didn’t know what I could say inspiring about hospitality.  :o)  You did a great job.  I am definitely hospitable when it comes to making people feel like part of the group — welcoming them, etc …  But right now, I never feel like I’m prepared at home for people and everyone just POPS in here.  Nobody calls.  Ha.   Do I rejoice when the doorbell rings?  Uh, no.  More of a grumble.  So I thought perhaps I should just take a dose of conviction and not write a post this week.  lol

August 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Oh girl, you can still do a post.  I just know you have hospitality in you.  I sense it every time I visit your blog!  I don’t rejoice when people show up uninvited either.  I tend to want to run and hide under the bed!  Have a beautiful day my friend.

Theresa
    August 12, 2011 at 11:02 am

You made some great points.  Hospitality is an attitude, isn’t it?  There are those people who are hospitable no matter where they are or who they are around.

August 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Thank you for visiting Theresa!  Have a great day.

Cyndi spivey
    August 12, 2011 at 11:41 am

That was a great post Barbie! I used to stress like crazy when I had people over. I finally realized it’s not worth it, people don’t care if my house is perfect and it’s about the fellowship. I’m much better these days 🙂
    Happy Friday!
    Cyndi

Sarawbowyer
    August 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm

great post and so true!  God has placed you where you are, to minister to those around you….your job, your neighborhood, etc.  Just inviting a neighbor over for a glass of cold iced tea on the front porch, or taking a small cold to drink to your neighbor that is mowing in 100 degree temps….hospitality doesn’t have to mean fixing a meal…..but that’s great too!

August 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Great points Sara!  Thanks for stopping by today!

Kerri Smith
    August 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Love this post! As I sit here reading it, I am in my apron waiting for a chocolate cake to finish baking, in preps for a birthday celebration for my hubby tonight(although my home and children are far from spotless) 😉  I used to stress about company coming and then realized I wasn’t stressing about the “hospitality” but the “entertaining”. I now go by these wonderful words I heard somewhere….”If you are coming to see me and/or my family….drop by anytime, if you are coming to see my house….please call and book an appointment!”
    You are so right though Barbie….hospitality doesn’t always happen in our own home! I love the verse  from Hebrews (13:2) “Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!” and God has placed you in a perfect place to be hospitable to even strangers. May you be blessed as you bless others!

August 12, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Hmm, chocolate cake sounds good right now.  Happy birthday to your husband!  Thanks for your encouragement today.

Adoption Mama
    August 12, 2011 at 8:50 pm

What a great reminder. My mom was such a great example to me of hospitality. It’s one of the things I enjoy the most…

August 17, 2011 at 5:07 am

That’s so wonderful that you’re mother left you with that blessing of the example of what it means to be hospitable.

Alwaysnesting
    August 13, 2011 at 10:37 am

I love this post and you are so right about giving hospitality to others.  I often feel “pushed” to serve others in small ways and know it’s God giving me the nudge I need  to step outside of my social anxiety.

August 17, 2011 at 5:08 am

It’s hard sometimes, because I can tend to want to be a “people pleaser” in the flesh.  But, I am learning to give what I do have away.  Being stretched to step out and show His love to others.

Caroline @UnderGod'sMightyHand
    August 13, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Great examples of hospitality! I love how you shared that hospitality is much beyond just the home, but anywhere we are and serve others!

August 17, 2011 at 5:08 am

Thanks for visiting Caroline!

The ChicaCafe
    August 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Thank You ChicaGrace….What a great article!!!

August 17, 2011 at 5:09 am

Thank you ladies!

Dayle
    August 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I also go on a cleaning spree before guests come over. I like the idea of not taking such things so serious and to even take hospitality to the streets.

Lea
    August 14, 2011 at 1:06 am

Great post Barbie! I love having folks into our home and sharing food and fellowship.  I don’t usually stress too much over it because it is something I am very confident in doing and I save my stressing for other things. :O)  I know you are more than good at your job and I can only imagine how welcome you must make everyone feel.  Hugs to you!

Debbie
    August 14, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Oh yes, we can practice hospitality even as we wait in line at the grocery store.  I love to greet people. I used to think it would be fun to work at the airport directing people and greeting them.   I also love to see a smiling face when I enter a church.  All too often visitors come to our churches and we can be so busy catching up with our friends.  May we always be aware of new faces.

Great post and reminder Barbie!

Blessings and love,
    Debbie

Janet
    August 16, 2011 at 1:10 am

Love this post! I am one of those stressed out, get the house perfect for guests types. Definitely an area that needs work in my life. I really appreciate how you’ve offered a different perspective of hospitality.

August 17, 2011 at 5:11 am

Thanks for visiting Janet!

Bonnie Gray
    August 17, 2011 at 3:50 am

“Hospitality doesn’t always have to be the momma with the apron on.. we are called to bring the fragrance of Christ to others.”  THAT is what touched me in this post – because I sense it here on your blog. The fragrance of Christ – that is what draws people to feel at ease, let down their hair and just enjoy being together.  May God continue to touch the hearts of those you minister to at our church and in your home, by that fragrance of Christ in you!  Love your heart, Barbie!

August 17, 2011 at 5:12 am

Bonnie, thank you so much for your encouragement!