16 In Faith

The Gift That Grows

I am linking up with Bonnie the Faith Barista for Faith JAM today.  She has challenged us with this question:

What is a passion or interest you’d like to nurture and grow?

I have to admit, the first few things that came to my mind were not necessarily things that I am extremely gifted in; yet my heart truly desires to be used by the Lord in these areas to touch the lives of others.  I want to excel in everything that I do — being a wife, mother, administrative assistant, singer, intercessor, painter, writer, blogger.  I believe that God pours out different measures of grace for these areas of my life.  Some things I will do better than others.  But no matter what I do, I am called to do all things for the glory of God.

So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.  (1 Corinthians 10:31)

I love to sing and I am thankful for the opportunity to sing in our House of PrayerDo I sing as well as the other singers?  No.  But God sees my heart and I believe that He uses what little talent I have in this area for His glory.

I love to paint and am blessed to fellowship in a place that embraces the freedom of expression and will allow me to paint during worship services.  Are my paintings as anointed as the one standing next to me?  Probably not.  But again, God sees my heart.  He sees the “yes” in my spirit and He gives me His stamp of approval.

I am addicted to blogging, and am only just now realizing that I can actually write.  Is my writing as poetic or captivating as someone else’s?  I don’t know.  But then again, I am me, and they are them, and I am called to write like me, to bring glory to the Lord.

I desire to be a beautiful singer, an anointed painter, and a writer that touches the heart of God, as well as others.  And even though I may not be as gifted in these areas as others, God sees my willingness.  I have said, “pick me, I will do it”, and I’ve stepped into these areas with a joyful heart, a teachable spirit, and a desire to make His name known.  And because I have the right attitude, I believe that God is and will continue to bless these areas in my life.  These gifts were planted in seed form in my heart by the Lord.  As I continue to step out in faith in these areas, He waters them and causes them to grow.  I am thankful that He gives me the desires of my heart as I purpose to delight in Him and His ways.

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.  (Psalm 37:4)

Visit us at the Faith Baista JAM for more thoughts on this topic.

FaithBarista_FreshJamBadgeG

Jennifer
    August 25, 2011 at 5:23 pm

It’s amazing how He waters our desires in His perfect grace. You’re willingness to use your God-given gifts for His glory is beautiful! And I’m sure you are quite talented in each of your passions! 🙂

August 28, 2011 at 5:29 am

Awe, thanks Jennifer.  I appreciate that.

Beth Steffaniak
    August 25, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I’d love to see one of your paintings. Our church has done some artistic forms of worship like that. I wish they would do more of it–it is such a blessing! Thanks for sharing about your passion. You sound like a very talented person!

August 28, 2011 at 5:30 am

Hi Beth.  Thanks for stopping by.  If you go to the top of my blog under my header, my paintings can be found under “my art”.  Would love to know what you think!

Anonymous
    August 25, 2011 at 7:42 pm

You are so sweet!  I love your paintings Barbie and I’m sure your voice is lovely too.  Of course I love your writing!  You are a gifted lady!

Love & hugs,
    Beth

August 28, 2011 at 5:30 am

Thank you my friend!

Maria @ Linen & Verbena
    August 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Barbie, I love all of your gifts but what I love the most is that you want to Glorify God through them.  That is just beautiful.

August 28, 2011 at 5:29 am

Thank you Maria!  It’s really all about Him.  Without Him, I can do nothing!

Lisa
    August 26, 2011 at 12:59 am

This is so interesting and I know God is trying to get my attention.  This verse has come before me dozen of times since June.  Thanks for sharing!

August 28, 2011 at 5:30 am

Thanks for stopping by my blog Lisa!

Keenalynn
    August 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I have many passions but I’m not sure I am talented in those areas though.  One passion is to be a better writer/blogger.  I feel as if my writing is dry, but in my heart i want to be able to write beautiful pieces.

August 28, 2011 at 5:31 am

You sound like you have a beautiful heart and that’s something God can use for His glory.  It’s not so much the amount of talent we have, but our willingness to surrender what we have back to Him!

Cindy Bultema
    August 28, 2011 at 2:45 am

Sweet Barbie ~ I appreciate your vulnerability and authenticity. God has given you a special gift with your writing ~ I’m always so blessed when I visit! May the Lord continue to bless you, empower you, and provide opportunities to use your gifts for His Kingdom puposes. Your heart for Him is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing your passions with us 🙂

August 28, 2011 at 5:32 am

Thank you so much Cindy!  I so appreciate your words here!

Debbie
    August 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm

It seems that whatever you do, you do it as unto the Lord.  And Barbie, I think that is most important.  I’ve always tried to do that too.  Even if it’s sweeping the floor of the lunch room after the children have had lunch, I never want to feel that this is beneath me.  We are to do our best, whatever it is.

I”m amazed at how far you’ve come in your blogging.  You write very well and are very engaging.  You’ve been able to grow it because you engage people.  I’m so glad you are one of the bloggers I had the pleasure of meeting in person.

Sending hugs,
    Debbie

August 29, 2011 at 3:43 am

Thank you for your encouragement Debbie.  That means a lot to me!  Blessings to you!