Beauty in the Broken

© Mykola Mazuryk - Fotolia.com

“There is beauty in the broken.”

I‘ve seen this phrase floating around the blogsphere this week.  God is once again opening my eyes to beauty.  But it’s not the beauty that I can see.  It’s the beauty that has yet to be revealed — at least to the eye of the beholder.  It doesn’t always look whole.  It’s broken, bruised and often messy.  But if I look deep into the cracks and crevices, into the places that lay waiting to be filled by their Maker, there beauty will be found.

I am reminded today of such beauty.  My heart has been heavy for Sara and Katie this week.  Sara is preparing for the ultimate homecoming very soon.  She is preparing to meet Jesus face-to-face.  Her life has been a testimony of CHOOSING JOY in the midst of a life she may not have chosen for herself — yet, something tells me if Sara had to live this life over again, she wouldn’t change a thing.  And Katie, I do not know her well.  But she is sick.  Her body is broken right now.  But still, God has given her friends and loved ones glimpses of His beauty for her — the ability to sip coffee with her husband and friends in a beautiful garden that is just outside her hospital room; the doctor’s report that “there is no cancer in the bone marrow”.  We are thankful.

It takes a strength much deeper than anything I can muster up to continue to see beauty in times of brokenness.  Yet today, I am choosing to seek it out.  I am trusting Him to take these precious ones and reveal the beauty that awaits them.  I refuse to focus on only what my natural eyes can see.  I choose to look deep — deep into His Word, the truth that He makes all things beautiful in His time.

Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end.  (Ecclesiastes 3:11)

Today I continue to count.  There is beauty in brokenness.

Grace Gifts 287-300

287.  The ability to “choose joy” despite my circumstances.
288.  Rejoicing that soon Sara will be whole and resting in the arms of Jesus.
289.  Encouraging comments received from my blog friends.
290.  Prayers coming in from all over the world for lovely Katie.
291.  Hope and joy realized in the midst of the unknown, “there is no cancer in the bone marrow“.
292.  For Top Raman, as I nurse my sinus infection.
293.  For Facebook and Twitter prayers from friends, lifting me up to strengthen me.
294.  For the ability to hear His voice, despite the other loud voices that try to work their way into my mind.
295.  For Kleenex, the kind with the lotion, for my poor nose.
296.  Being able to “let go” of all of the housework for at least today.  Something that is hard for me.
297.  For this upcoming album release by Jeremy Riddle.
298.  For food that nourishes my body, despite the fact that I cannot taste it.
299.  For coconut ice cream!
300.  For His constant and abiding love for me!

I am linking up with A Holy Experience today on my journey toward listing 1000 gifts.  Will you join me?  Or leave a comment here and let me know how God is showing you beauty in broken today.

1. Lisa Grace says:

I love the beauty in the broken; it’s my life’s theme song!

2. Kerri Smith says:

It’s so hard to see sometimes…’the beauty in the broken’…but it IS there!!
    Bless you Barbie….and feel better soon….I will be praying for you!!

3. Keenalynn says:

I hope you are feeling better soon.

4. Child of God says:

Hi Barbie,
    There IS beauty in brokenness, it is just so hard to sit back and watch. It is bitter sweet.

Blessings,

5. Hopeunbroken says:

amen 🙂  and i’m grateful, for i am broken more than i feel whole!

6. Eva Trillian says:

It is by the grace of the cracks in the facade
    that the light can shine through …It’s just that the cracking itself hurts to much when it’s happening …Internet makes prayers travel all over the earth, and straight to God!

7. Lisa says:

Love your list today.  This is the key, isn’t it – I refuse to focus on only what my natural eyes can see. Life is so much more than we can see – God has more prepared for us.  We must remember that.  Many blessings!

8. What a beautiful list, Barbie! I’ve walked away blessed.

9. Anonymous says:

It is a tough lesson, isn’t it?  It took a couple good wallops to the soul before I began to live it myself, after having read Ann’s book.  But once we do “get it,” I don’t think life will ever be the same. And one of my favorite quotes about being broken: ”  the cracks let God’s light shine through.”

10. Chrissy says:

Mmm, coconut ice cream!  🙂

Hope you and your nose are feeling better soon!

11. Tiffany Stuart says:

Thank you for sharing your gifts, Barbie. I hope your sinus infection is almost over. I appreciate your compassion and love for those who are suffering. I feel the pain of others too. Merciful heart here, I cry with others easily. I will go visit Katie now. I recently read about Sara. Heartbreaking and joy, hard to understand. Love, Tiffany

12. Joan says:

Barbie – I hope you feel better soon. I have been reading updates on Sarah and Katie and saw Katie’s report of there being no cancer in the bone marrow. From the perspecitive of a cancer survivor’s wife ( my husband is now 18 years cancer free now) I know how good it was to hear those words.

Blessings,
    Joan

13. Anonymous says:

I understand what you mean Barbie.  Even though I’m watching my parents die, I see beauty in this season.  Certain family wounds are being dealt with.  Both are slipping into a more childlike state, preparing to meet Jesus face to face.

I pray Sara’s transition will be smooth and gentle.  I declare over Katie that she will LIVE and not die and declare the works of her God.

Love and health to you and your little nose.
    Beth

• Barbie says:

I am praying for you and your parents my friend.  What a hard season you are in.  Yet we are learning to “choose joy” in the midst of it.  Every time I say that, I will think of Sara and how she so clearly defined it.

14. I’ve learned this as well this year. I have to seek to find the gifts some days. I’m often reminded of the summer I spent in Tucson, Arizona. At first the desert seems all brown, but once I slowed down and really looked, really searched, there was beauty everywhere.

15. Crystall says:

I have been listening for His voice too, amidst all the clamouring and what-ifs that Satan tries to plant in my mind.  It helps to fill my home with music and my heart with His word!  Visiting from Ann’s today to pray that you might be strengthened and feeling better soon!