Rest in Surrender

© Barbara Helgason - Fotolia.com

Today I am linking up with The Gypsy Mama for the Five Minute Friday.  This is where I get to write freely, from my heart, without worrying about perfection or correction.  I love this exercise.  It has taken me out of my self-imposed box and has given me so much freedom.

Today’s Prompt:  Rest

Ready.  Set.  Go!

Rest.  It’s so much more than sitting and being still, or even sleeping.  How does one find rest in the busyness of life?  Some days I don’t know whether I am coming or going, and then I get to do it all again the following day.  My heart longs to be still, to sit and rest.  But there is always so much on my plate.

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
(Matthew 11:28)

The Lord promises rest to those who are weary and burdened.  This doesn’t necessarily mean that I will have less to do.  But my heart will be at rest. I will have peace.  I will cease from my striving.  When I give my day over to the Lord, I can rest because I trust that He will take care of my needs.

On the days when life just gets unbearable and I can’t breathe, He promises to hide me under the shadow of His wings.  There I find my rest and I am strengthened once again for the challenges that lie ahead.

Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings,
(Psalm 17:8)

For me, the first step in finding true rest is surrender.  I can no longer hold onto my day, my loved ones, my desires with a tightly closed fist.  I must lift up my open hands to the Lord and allow Him to take my worries and cares away.  He will provide rest for my weary soul when I surrender control back to Him.

Stop.

*     *     *

*Picture and scriptures added after the timer.

Visit The Gypsy Mama for more inspiring posts about rest.  And if you haven’t already linked up with us, why don’t you give it a try?  I promise it’s not scary.

1. brittany says:

Amen, amen, amen!! The first step in finding true rest is surrender for me, too. Absolutely love this!

2. Kerri Smith says:

Absolutely beautiful and how true that once we surrender control He will provide us with rest.
    If only I wouldn’t make it more difficult than it sounds??!!
    Bless you friend!

• Barbie says:

I can be very stubborn and want to hold onto things.  But once I give it all to Him (where it belongs anyways) it makes entering that rest so much easier!  Have a beautiful weekend.

3. Anonymous says:

Surrender!  That’s the key, but what I struggle with the most!  I love Psalm 17:8.  I think that’s the first time I’ve read that verse.

Thank you so much for sharing!  Have a good weekend!
    Brenda

4. shelly faust says:

So true, Barbie…rest is not necessarily ceasing from activity but about finding Him in that quiet place and taking refuge there, no matter our physical circumstances.

Happy weekend! 🙂

5. You pointed out that our rest from God is not necessarily in the form of less work but in peace!  So true.

6. Lisa says:

We are thinking a like today, Barbie. 😉  And you touched on something else the Lord has been speaking to me about – surrender.  There is peace and rest in surrendering completely to Him.  What a beautiful truth!  Many blessings!

7. Cindy Bultema says:

Oh my,  this is so beautiful! Just what I needed to hear. I love reading your 5 minute Friday posts. THANK YOU for sharing your gift with us!
    Sweet blessings
    Cindy 🙂

8. Thank you for stoping by my blog and the prayers.
    This is such a good line “I can no longer hold onto my day, my loved ones, my desires with a tightly closed fist.”

9. Stephani says:

A lovely picture of rest.  Letting go.  It’s amazing how he can give us such peace in the midst of such activity.  I find when I start my day in quiet with him, miraculously it is carried with me throughout the day.

10. Jenny@ADropintheBucket says:

Such a beautiful post!  It is true.  True rest can only be delivered by God.  So thankful that helps my heart to be at rest.  Thanks for stopping over and commenting on my blog on Friday too!

11. Rachel -Following In My Shoes says:

Beautiful post.. And a timely read for me given my stage of life. Surrendering everything to God is always…. ALWAYS…. the hardest part for me. I pray (beg, lol) for help every day but actually surrendering the stress, anxiety, etc… that doesn’t always happen.

Thanks for this great post, Barbie.