The Grace for Change

(photo credit)

My Heavenly Father is so gentle with me.  He has been speaking to me about making some serious changes in my life concerning health, diet and sleeping patterns.  It’s not like I’ve been ignoring Him.  It’s just so hard to make these changes.  I was talking to a friend the other day concerning this season of my life, and I admitted to her that I’ve never really asked God to come into that place — that place that over eats due to stress, worry, boredom, fatigue and anger.  That place that is so filled with physical pain that exercising is excruciating.  That place that stays up late because she feels she has to “do” those things that she can’t do all day because she works full time.  And I admit, I like to catch up with all of you in those late night hours as well.

But the honest truth is, all of these bad habits are putting too much pressure on this now over middle aged body.  I am feeling an urgency to get healthy.  Whatever that looks like.  I want to be around for my grandbabies one day.  But it hasn’t been easy.  It’s been darn right hard.   I feel like the journey is so long and that I may never reach the finish line.  But then I hear His voice,

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  (2 Corinthians 12:9)

He never intended that I walk the journey alone. He promises to give grace and strength, but I have to invite Him in.  Today, I am so thankful that God loves me enough to not leave me in my current state.  I know that with Him, I can do all things.

Grace Gifts 276-286

276.  The grace to accept change.
277.  The grace to embrace difficulties.
278.  Good friends who help steer me towards health and wholeness.
279.  For Trader Joes and Sprouts!
280.  For the wisdom to listen to what my body is telling me.
281.  For yummy alternatives to dairy – coconut milk and almond milk!
282.  Coconut ice cream to soothe my late night cravings!
283.  For bento lunch boxes!
284.  Creative ways to pack healthy lunches for the kiddos.
285.  Resting in His love.
286.  For Emily’s book, that I won on a blog, and can’t wait to read!

I am linking up with A Holy Experience today, where we share our gifts that God has given to us..  Will you join me there?  Or just leave a comment below and tell me how God is giving you the grace to accept change or embrace difficulty in your life today.

1. Lisa says:

Coconut ice cream?  Is that any good and is it healthy than regular ice cream?  Sounds interesting.   Many blessings as you continue on this journey of change.  🙂

• Barbie says:

Hi Lisa!  I had my first coconut chocolate ice cream last night and it was very good.  I would guess if you don’t like coconut though, you wouldn’t like it.  I love coconut and to me it tasted like a Mounds bar, which I love.  I am taking dairy out of my diet at least for the time being.  There are many benefits to coconut.  You can find some of those listed here:  http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

2. Keenalynn says:

good luck w/ the changes. I pray that God gives you strength.

3. Steph says:

Beautiful list Barbie!

4. Oh friend, I am on the journey towards healthy living too.  And you are right, it can be really hard!  Have you read Made to Crave?  I loved that book.  I’ll pray for you!  Really, I will!

• Barbie says:

Jamie, I have the Made to Crave on my iMAC.  I started reading it a few months back.  I think I have a serious block in the brain, emotionally.  I haven’t been able to continue. Maybe I will pick it up again!

5. Lea says:

Oh, bless your heart, these type of changes have got to be tough. I’m so thankful that my precious Momma was so concerned with healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle and those habits have served me well over the years.  And, my Dad always led such a healthy, healthy lifestyle and it makes it even harder to accept the sad, sad state of his body right now.  Just don’t understand it, but as the Drs. told me if he had not taken such good care of himself the GBS would certainly have taken his life sooner rather than later.

May the Lord give you all that you need to adapt to a new healthy lifestyle.  Hugs to you my friend!

6. Jennifer_StudioJRU says:

Beautifully said Barbie! He never intended that we walk the journey alone. Beautiful and true. I try to think of verses like that while I am struggling at working out. 🙂  I haven’t gotten Emily’s book yet, but looking forward to reading it too! I love coconut… where do you find that ice cream?

7. Debbie says:

I love your transparency Barbie.  The older we get, the harder it is to deal with health and body issues.  I had gained weight with all the stress in my life over the past few years but have been determined to deal with it.  I started getting up an hour earlier to go for a brisk morning walk and cutting back on the calories.  It’s working slowly though.  I love Trader Joe’s too!  I’ll have to link to see what book you’re mentioning.  You know, I’ve been reading “Made to Crave” and it’s good.

Hugs to you and loved your list,
    Debbie

• Barbie says:

Oh Debbie, you are the second commenter who mentioned “Made to Crave”, which I have on my MAC Kindle.  I started reading but haven’t gotten very far (that was months ag0).  Maybe the Lord is directing me to pick it up again.

8. Genny says:

Barbie, I love Sprouts! The best little market, isn’t it? I wish you the best on making the changes you want to make. You are beautiful; don’t be too hard on yourself. 🙂

And I just have to tell you again how pretty your blog is. Every time I am here, I sigh and settle in. Thank you for the tranquility!

Genny

• Barbie says:

Well, I never made it to sprouts.  I did go to Fresh and Easy and Trader Joes though.  Got some more coconut ice cream!  Thank you again for the blog compliments!

9. Wendy says:

280.  Needing that wisdom too!

10. Adoption Mama says:

Grace….unlimited. So thankful!

11. Jennifer says:

Oh, this is my very favorite verse — and for years so difficult for me to take in!  Now, I rejoice that my weakness is my strength.  I never need to be strong, because He is.  I love your post, here.  So beautiful, brave, and true.  Thank you!

12. Jennifer says:

God has been whispering to me about nurturing my body, too, Barbie.  “Grace to embrace difficulties” – yes, I need some of that 🙂

13. Mari F says:

It IS hard to from realizing we need to change to changing. Glad you have friends encouraging you along the way! Blessings to you =)

14. The Lord has  been speaking to me about exactly these same things … how I treat my body with my eating, sleeping, and time management. May He be our Helper as we conform to His image and become all that He created us to be! Blessings to you today, and thank you for your beautiful post and your beautiful list!

15. Adie says:

WOW!  I nearly burst into tears for how close to home this hit me.  I will be praying for you and for strength during this journey.

16. Stephani says:

Wonderful grace list and post!  I’ll be praying for his sufficiency to strengthen you as you are obedient to what he is asking you to do! ~ I guess I had not clued in that you worked full-time.  I was kinda glad when I read that because I work full-time too and sometimes in blog land I feel like I’m the only one who works full-time outside of the home.  Didn’t really know if anyone could relate.  I however don’t have children of my own so you are even busier than me! ~ Also, I noticed you signed up as a follower on Pinterest!  Thanks!  I’ve been having fun with it, but can see how one might get obsessed with it.  I’ve been pinning like crazy, I hope you don’t get tired of seeing my name pop up on your homepage.  I will be slowing down with that a bit soon; I just think the newness of it has caputred my attention right now.  You’re my only follower, but that’s Ok, maybe I’ll pick up some more.  Well, have a terrific evening!!

• Barbie says:

I am always so thankful when I found other women in blogland that work full time. Even though you do not have children, you still come home to the responsibilities of your home and relationships. Not that those who stay home are any less busy. They are extremely busy. Thanks for your encouragement. And pin away! I love it!

17. I hear two words stick in my head here: change and grace.

I certainly can’t do change without grace. I pray for you as
    you make changes, and I look for inspiration myself from it. I need to make
    changes too…