24 In 31 Days of Abiding

Abiding {Day 4} – Being Still

© Saite - Fotolia.com

I am a doer by nature.  Constantly on the go.  Running here and there.  Barely stopping to eat most days.  For some reason, I feel better about myself when I am doing something.  Oh, I give myself plenty of down time, but then when I go to bed at night I feel guilty that I didn’t accomplish everything that was on my list.  (A perfect place to put a plug in for Emily’s book, Grace for the Good Girl.  It’s changing me.)

My heart longs to abide, to remain connected to the Vine, but it’s hard for me to stop and be still in His presence.  Even while sitting before the King of Kings, I still feel like I should be doing something  for Him.

I was made to live continually in the light of His presence.  He calls me to abide with Him, to be still and know.  But it doesn’t come naturally to me, this being still.  It’s not just a matter of slowing down the body physically.  But it’s intentionally slowing down the mind.  Turning off the voices of tasks left undone, of lies that say you should have”, or “you should be”.  To continually abide in His presence, I must focus my mind, will and emotions on the Lord.

I have labeled myself “a Martha with a heart like Mary”.  Oh how I long to just be still.  To stop.  But I am so easily distracted by the cares of this world.  Yet I hear Him calling me to come.

My beloved speaks and says to me: “Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away.”  (Song of Solomon 2:1o)

The Lord longs to spend time with you, His Beloved One.  He is calling you to come away, to leave your worries and cares behind, to be with Him.  But to continually abide in His presence takes practice.  We are still works in progress.  Aren’t you grateful that He still allows us to come, with cluttered minds and and anxious hearts?

Learning to be still so that I can abide.

*This is Day 4 of a 31 day series on “Abiding”. You can find all of my posts in this series here. And be sure to stop by some of the other 31Dayers. Over 700 bloggers have linked up so far! There is something for everyone!

Glenda Childers
    October 4, 2011 at 8:41 am

Such beautiful words . . . Come Away.

Fondly,
    Glenda
    31 days of Christmas Wonder

October 5, 2011 at 8:10 am

Thank you Glenda!

Cyndispivey
    October 4, 2011 at 11:11 am

Oh this is me Barbie! I just can’t seem to slow down most days. My to do list is always long!
    Love the 31days of Abiding!!
    Blessings,
    Cyndi

Kristi f
    October 4, 2011 at 11:16 am

The way you worded this today seems so inviting.  He is after all simply irresistable!  I am a doer by nature too and I have to make myself rest.  Blessings to you!

October 5, 2011 at 8:10 am

Simply irresistable!  I love that!

Jenifer
    October 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Beautiful post and wonderful encouragement.

October 5, 2011 at 8:11 am

Thank you for visiting Jennifer!

Liz Otteson
    October 4, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Barbie, I sooooooo hear you.  Thank you for your wise reminder to be still, to turn off the “should have” voice.  A very sage person once told me, “Don’t should on yourself.”  Why crowd our days with self-imposed mandates and guilt instead of enjoying moments of contentment with God?  I’m looking forward to abiding as your series unfolds.

October 5, 2011 at 8:11 am

So true. Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

Debbie
    October 4, 2011 at 3:26 pm

It can be so easy to get caught in what we do each day.  However, I’ve been learning to rest in Him more lately.  And that requires me to be still.  It’s been a great lesson for me.  I love that you are learning this too Barbie.  Frankly, I’ve been so amazed at how quickly you’ve progressed in blogging.  You’ve come so far so quickly.  But now it’s time to be still and listen and learn as we abide in Him.  I’m so glad we’re on this journey together friend.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie

October 5, 2011 at 8:12 am

Debbie, it’s purely by the grace of God.  He has given me a voice and I love that I can share it here.  I love that you are taking this journey of being still and abiding with me.

Lisa
    October 4, 2011 at 4:51 pm

“To continually abide in His presence, I must focus my mind, will and emotions on the Lord.”   This is so hard sometimes, but so worth it.  Thanks for the encouragement to be still, both body and mind.  Many blessings!

October 5, 2011 at 8:13 am

Thank you Lisa.

Kerri Smith
    October 4, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Be still and know….I struggle with this too!
    Thank you again for a gentle reminder!

October 5, 2011 at 8:13 am

Blessings to you Kerri!

carissa graham
    October 5, 2011 at 1:22 am

awwww!  i love this!!!  i’m about to start emily’s book and i cannot wait.  it’s going to change me too.  : )

i’m so so so sad that i wasn’t on the ball and figured out this 31 days thing sooner.  i want to start it but feel too ridiculous being four days late.  i guess i’ll just enjoy yours in the meantime.

October 5, 2011 at 4:37 am

Oh no, Carissa, you are not too late. You can totally start now. You can do your intro post and start tomorrow. There was another blogger who started yesterday. I say go for it! It would be most amazing. And, if you do, please let me know so I can follow you along!!!

Jennifer
    October 5, 2011 at 2:08 am

Yes, I can completely relate.  I, also, can be described like a Martha with a heart like Mary.  Thank you for your encouragement here, and the beautiful verse — calling me to Him — from Song of Solomon.  Gratefully, Jennifer

October 5, 2011 at 8:14 am

I am learning it’s a balance.  It’s good what Martha did.  But it was better and right what Mary did.  Learning first to sit at His feet, then accomplish my tasks.  Not perfect every day, but getting there.

Joan
    October 5, 2011 at 3:17 am

I, too, am learning to be still so that I can abide.  It can be so difficult as the busyness of this world swirls around me, but when I am still and quiet, His voice is what I hear!

Blessings, Joan

October 5, 2011 at 8:14 am

Thanks for stopping by Joan!

October 5, 2011 at 8:10 am

Thank you Cyndi.  I appreciate your visits to my blog!

toshua.york
    October 5, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Barbie – beautifully written!  This week has been exceptionally hectic and I’ve missed spending time with my Father.  I could hear God calling me through your post and quieting my desire to “do do do” and “be be be” as I just sit with him.  Thanks!

jkhenderson3
    October 6, 2011 at 2:07 am

Oh, how funny. You weren’t kidding. We really, really are on similar paths right now. Not only are abiding and rooting so closely related, but then we both write about being still. 🙂 Love it.

And I, too, LOVE Emily’s book. So speaking to this heart of mine with all of it’s should-have’s and could-have’s and ought-to’s. I, too, desire to find a place of rest. Or rather, a lifestyle of resting in Him.

Much love to you,