22 In 31 Days of Abiding

Abiding {Day 7} – Come Away!

© kryczka_d - Fotolia.com

My beloved speaks and says to me:
“Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away,”
(Song of Solomon 2:10)

I had another post planned for today.  But God is redirecting my heart.  As I write, He is speaking to me, deeply, about this place.  This place where I long to be.  Where I long to abide.  To rest, without care or an anxious heart.  I am overwhelmed today.  Overwhelmed that the God of the universe desires me…delights in me…longs to be with me.  And when I fall short — when I rush from one thing to the next, without any regard for the emptiness or ache that fills my heart — He still desires me.

I can hear Him whisper my name.  Yet, I want to scream, “Lord, why call me with a whisper when you can beckon me to come with a shout”?  Yet He is teaching me to listen for the whisper of His voice.  The still, small voice.  A gentle whisper, a soft nudge.  If I lean into it, if I choose to listen, His voice raises louder and far above all of the other voices that compete for my attention.

He calls us to come and abide.  It was He who first called our name.  He who first loved us.  And we cannot remain in Him unless we accept that He called us first.  We can only abide, because He was the one to abide first.  God desired a deep and abiding relationship with us, so He sent Jesus, God in the flesh, to dwell among us — to dwell in us.  To abide in us.

We love him, because he first loved us.  (1 John 4:19)

He is calling you to come and abide.  Do you hear Him?  Will you answer the call?

*This is Day 7 of a 31 day series on “Abiding”. You can find all of my posts in this series here. And be sure to stop by some of the other 31Dayers. Over 700 bloggers have linked up so far! There is something for everyone!

Amy @ Make me a Mary
    October 7, 2011 at 11:46 am

Beautiful. I’m so thankful for His whisper. That’s the thing about the Holy Spirit. He is a perfect Gentleman and never forces Himself on us. But how precious when we learn to hear Him.

October 8, 2011 at 8:31 am

Thank you Amy!  I am learning to “lean” into His voice to hear Him!

October 8, 2011 at 8:31 am

Thank you Amy!  I am learning to “lean” into His voice to hear Him!

Kerri Smith
    October 7, 2011 at 11:46 am

I love how God is leading you in this journey….these posts!
    I am so looking forward to reading all of this journey you are on as you strive to take the time to listen….to hear the still small voice, His whisper, His call! I am also striving for this….to be still and to listen for His voice.

October 8, 2011 at 8:32 am

So thankful to have you along on this journey!  We’ve taken a couple of journeys together now, and I know there will be more!

October 8, 2011 at 8:32 am

Child of God
    October 7, 2011 at 4:05 pm

TEARS! My heart is rocking and my soul is shaking…I believe these words are for me. I know He is speaking to you the same way for He seems to have us traveling along this path together. You know when you read something that sits deep inside, awakens a grey spot that is floating around and you haven’t put your finger on? Something that you know is there but all of a sudden a deeper awareness is alighted? I feel the pull of diving yet even deeper into Him. Thank you Barbie for obey His still, small voice.

Blessings and a holy kiss,

October 8, 2011 at 8:32 am

Oh I love Jesus!  I love when His words speak through me.  So thankful you are being touched!

October 8, 2011 at 8:32 am

Lisa
    October 7, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I definitely hear Him calling, but I must admit that I am still struggling to come and just be in His Presence.  My intentions are good, but I fall short.  I’m so thankful that even though I keep moving when He asks me to rest, He never gives up on me.  He just keeps speaking softly to my heart.  Lord, I need your strength to remain, strength to come away and abide with you.

October 8, 2011 at 8:33 am

I am so thankful that God never let’s go of us!

October 8, 2011 at 8:33 am

I am so thankful that God never let’s go of us!

Jennifer
    October 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Being quiet to hear the whisper, that is where I am today.  Thank you, Barbie 🙂  Praying for you, friend!

October 8, 2011 at 8:33 am

Thank you Jennifer!

October 8, 2011 at 8:33 am

Thank you Jennifer!

Jennifer
    October 8, 2011 at 5:01 am

Stunningly beautiful.  Thank you.

October 8, 2011 at 8:33 am

Thank you Jennifer!

October 8, 2011 at 8:33 am

Thank you Jennifer!

Stacey29lincoln
    October 8, 2011 at 11:51 am

I’ve never really thought about the fact that He could shout at me, but most of the time He whispers.

Love that thought!

Anonymous
    October 31, 2011 at 5:24 am

A beautiful, beautiful post!  And so true.  Thank you for issuing this reminder to abide in him.  John 15 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible.  I think maybe I need to re-read it every week–maybe every Monday morning!

I love your words, “If I choose to listen.”  That’s it, isn’t it?  He is there, speaking; we must choose to listen.

Every blessing to you!