Abiding {Day 9} – He Gives Rest

© by_adr - Fotolia.com

My heart has been anxious today.  Altercations with children, falling short on some personal goals.  Feeling like I’ve disappointed others.  It’s impossible to abide, to remain connected to the vine, when my heart is overtaken with worry and stress.  This anxious heart — it sucks the life out of me, and it chokes the life out of the buds longing to spring forth from the vine.  These things that I carry — worry, stress, disappointment, failure.  These things will die on the vine.  For they neither bring hope nor life.

But He promises to bring rest to my anxious heart.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”  (Matthew 11:28)

So tonight I gave myself a “time out”.  I was allowing stress to overtake me, and I just needed to get away.  So I got into my car and drove — away from the noise, the defeat, the whispers of “you’re not good enough” — talking to Jesus along the way.  I poured my heart out as I reconnected myself to the vine, asking His forgiveness for my short temper, my tone, my attitude.  As I sat there in my car being comforted by Jesus (and a latte!), He brought rest to my anxious heart.  In the stillness of that moment, He met me.  He filled me with His love, His forgiveness and His hope.  He brought rest to my anxious heart.  And it only took a moment.

Sometimes we just need to get away to get His perspective.  Will you allow Him to bring rest to your anxious heart today?

*This is Day 9 of a 31 day series on “Abiding”. You can find all of my posts in this series here. And be sure to stop by some of the other 31Dayers. Over 700 bloggers have linked up so far! There is something for everyone!

1. jkhenderson3 says:

I love how He will meet with us so tenderly. How He will minister to our hearts as we come before Him and confess our desperate need for Him. I think I need to go sit and just rest in Him myself.

Oh, and on a side note…I love me a latte, too. 🙂

2. Shawna says:

Getting in the car and just driving sounds blissful. This whole section gives me hope for renewal: ” I poured my heart out as I reconnected myself to the vine, asking His forgiveness for my short temper, my tone, my attitude.  As I sat there in my car being comforted by Jesus (and a latte!), He brought rest to my anxious heart. “

3. Anonymous says:

Barbie, it sounds to me that you are in that stage of life where there is always somebody wanting some part of you and leaving not much in return.  You were so wise to take that drive out to meet Jesus!  He wants to hear that we need him, He wants to meet us wherever we are, and He wants to be able to give us love and comfort.  What an amazing encounter you must have had — you, Jesus and a latte.  Most perfect, I’d say.

4. Ashley says:

Giving ourselves a time out is a really good way to put. I feel like once the stress starts it just builds and turns into an avalanche. The only way out is to stop and refocus. I love your theme…I’ll have to catch up and read all that you’ve written so far!

5. He is so faithful to meet us.  What a needed reminder for me to get away and abide in Him!

6. Jennifer Camp says:

Dear Barbie, I sit her at my computer, my husband out of town, the kids tucked in, and I am just exhausted.  I want to write a post for tomorrow — and really, I just feel so tired — and I felt drawn to read your post now {I wasn’t able to get to it earlier today} and I am so thankful for the hope you brought to my heart.  Thank you so much.

• Barbie says:

Oh Jennifer, He is so faithful! I am exhausted tonight. I need some more rest in His presence! I have a post (or two) to get up for tomorrow. This 31 days of blogging hasn’t been easy. I so want to be inspired by the Lord, not just write. May you be refreshed and strengthened in His presence.

7. Barbie says:

Thank you for visiting Ashley! May you be blessed in your quiet times this week.