12 In 31 Days of Abiding

Abiding {Days 21-22} Rooting Deeper

Well my friends, I missed my post on Friday.  I really wanted to post every day during this 31 day challenge.  But I pretty much hit a wall over the last couple of days, and I felt like I was grinding my brain just to get a post out.  It’s hard when you are a 2-3 day a week blogger to attempt to blog for 31 consecutive days.  But the last couple of days have just been hard.  I wasn’t hearing clearly what direction to go.  My mind drew a blank — nada, ziltcho, nothing.  Rather than striving to try to make something happen, I just skipped posting altogether.  Do you ever have days when writing is just hard?  So today you get a two for one (well not really, but it sounds good)!

My friend Kimberly has been blogging about 31 Days of Rooting Deeper.  If you haven’t visited her blog yet, you must!  I am learning a lot about roots and their need for constant nourishment.  Incidentally, the tag line for my blog is “rooted and grounded in His marvelous love”.

so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
(Ephesians 3:17-19)

This has been the cry of my heart over the past several months — to know the width, length, height and depth of His love for me.  This love is so hard for my brain to comprehend.  But I want my roots to go down deep.  I want to tap into the richness of His love and mercy towards me.  I have been learning the importance of abiding — lingering and remaining in His presence, allowing Him to fill me and bring revelation of His Word to my heart.  I am rooting deeper, but I have so much farther to go.  That’s the neat thing about God, once we think we’ve tapped into the greatness of His love, there is MORE!

Tonight (Friday) I had the opportunity to paint during the worship service.  It’s been a while since I’ve painted in church, and I wasn’t sure exactly what I was going to paint.  As always, I prayed and asked the Lord for colors.  As I stood before the canvass, I asked the Lord for His heart.  I heard Him say, “root down deep”, and then I saw trees.  I felt I heard the Lord clearly, and I felt like it was for me….and YOU!  He wants us to continue to “root down deep”.  It’s only through abiding in Him — staying, remaining, lingering in His presence, that we can recieve the nourishment that we hunger and thirst for.

I wanted to share my painting with you.  Not because I think it’s amazing or anything like that.  But I wanted to give you a visual to this rooting down deep.  I am an abstract painter, which means that my paintings are hardly ever literal, and often times up for personal interpretation.  I would love to know what you see in this painting.

Are you rooting deeper today?  Are you reaching down into the rich soil of His love and finding life-giving nourishment for your thirsty soul?  I pray that He will show you the width, length, height and depth of His love today!

*This is Days 21-22 of a 31 day series on “Abiding”. You can find all of my posts in this series here. And be sure to stop by some of the other 31Dayers. Over 700 bloggers have linked up so far! There is something for everyone!

Jen Ferguson
    October 22, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Beautiful painting and such lovely words from God — rooting down.  Down to the Wellspring.  Oh, the water is deep and refreshing there…

And I so get that writing is hard.  When I did my 31 days series, it took everything I had almost!  Encouragement and prayers coming your way.

October 22, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Thank you Jen!

Melanie Dorsey
    October 22, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I see a “womb” which is a type of grounding. And I see a window.
    I enjoyed your post.

October 22, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Wow, that’s cool.  Thank you for visiting my blog today!

Ray S
    October 22, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Thank you so much, Barbie, for this post and actually, this whole series. I have been incredibly blessed and encouraged by them. This post does speak to me personally, because the Lord actually showed a friend of mine that my roots are going deep, and that Bible passage in Ephesians is a favorite of mine in remembering His love for me..so thank you for sharing your heart with us. It means more than you know 🙂

Blessings and love,
    Rachel

October 23, 2011 at 6:13 am

Thank you so much for stopping by to encourage me with your kind words Rachel. I hope you will visit again soon!

Lea
    October 22, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Great post Barbie! I’m certainly more grounded and and abiding more because of these past 4 challenging months with my Dad.  It’s a shame that it sometimes takes life’s challenges to draw us closer to Him and to rest in His promises.
    I see an upside down heart in the picture that represents to me the way it often is, our hearts turned upside down but He is still on His throne and will set our hearts straight once again when we abide in Him.  Blessings!

Keenalynn
    October 22, 2011 at 9:28 pm

thx for sharing

Cassidy Robinson
    October 23, 2011 at 4:13 am

Beautiful blog you have here Barbie! So glad I stumbled across you. 🙂

This is a beautiful post, I totally understand the feeling of hitting a “wall” when it comes to writing. Since I’m also a songwriter, this has a double meaning for me. 🙂 I love the painting! I see a heart that is rooted deep in soil, so deep that it is face first (so to speak). Love it! Look forward to reading more!

October 23, 2011 at 6:19 am

Thank you Cassidy for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment.  I love how you saw my painting.  I hope you will visit again soon!

October 23, 2011 at 6:13 am

Lea, I was just thinking that it’s often the hard places in our lives that push us closer to  God.  But He uses those situations, doesn’t he?  Praying you have a beautiful week!

jkhenderson3
    October 24, 2011 at 4:06 am

I see two trees sharing roots. 🙂 Each rooting into the proper place, the LORD and the soil of His marvelous love…and yet there roots touching and providing one another encouragement and nourishment as they both learn to trust in Him and receive from Him more and more. I am so thankful for the women He has placed in my life…women also seeking to root deeper, women who encourage me and spur me on!
    Thank YOU for the encouragement you have been to me. 🙂

Rooting deeper with you,