15 In 31 Days of Abiding

Abiding {Day 3} – In Christ

© photo-dave - Fotolia.com

When I became a Christian, I tried very hard to do the right things for God.  I made sure to read my Bible every day, to pray, to be kind to others and seek His forgiveness.  I wanted to please God.  I thought that if I could just do enough of the right things for God, that I would earn His approval and perhaps He would love me more.   But over the last several years, I’ve come to realize that for the majority of my Christian life, I had it all wrong.  Abiding is not about doing for God, but rather it’s about being with God.  And although what I do as acts of service for God are good, what matters is not what I’ve done for Him, but rather if I’ve been with Him.

You remember the story of Mary and Martha?  Two sisters preparing their home to receive Jesus.  When Jesus finally arrives, Martha makes herself busy with many things — cooking, cleaning; but Mary chose to sit at Jesus’ feet to listen to what He had to say.

She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.  (Luke 10:39)

Jesus said that Mary had chosen the better part, and that this would not be taken from her.

Abiding in Christ starts with spending time with God.  Time spent sitting at His feat, listening to His Words, allowing ourselves to be changed in His presence.

Here are just a few examples of how we can be purposeful in choosing the better part:

Remaining in His Presence.

We must remain connected to The Vine, Jesus.  He is our soul source of strength and life.  As long as we are connected to the Vine, we will continue to find the grace to abide.  Apart from Him, we can do nothing.

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”  (John 15:5)

How do we remain in the Vine?  Through prayer, reading His Word and in worship.

Waiting on Him.

When we wait on the Lord, He renews our strength and gives us the ability to walk out our calling.  We wait in His presence in prayer.

But they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.  (Isaiah 40:31)

How do we wait?  By being still in His presence and asking for His heart.

Persevering with Patience.

Life will not always be good to us, but one thing we do know is this — God is ALWAYS GOOD.  So, despite our circumstances, He calls us into His presence to wait for His goodness to be revealed.  He wants us to learn how to persevere with patience and with courage.

Wait patiently for the LORD. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the LORD.
(Psalm 27:14 NLT)

How do we persevere with patience?  We don’t give up.  We continue to fix our eyes on the One who is good and trust that He will work all things in our life for good, because He said He would.

Abiding in His Word.

The Word of God contains the answers to every situation we will face.  God calls us to abide in His Word, so that whatever we ask might be done for us.  When I am abiding in His Word, my heart becomes grafted to His heart, and I begin to pray for His will to be done in my life.

If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  (John 15:7)

How do we abide in His Word?  God’s Word is our daily Bread.  It is life.  We must continually eat of His Word and of His promises.

*This is Day 3 of a 31 day series on “Abiding”. You can find all of my posts in this series here. And be sure to stop by some of the other 31Dayers. Over 700 bloggers have linked up so far! There is something for everyone!

Glenda Childers
    October 3, 2011 at 9:45 am

I tend toward the doing and have to constantly remind myself of the being.

Fondly,Glenda
    31 days of Christmas wonder

Anonymous
    October 3, 2011 at 10:46 am

Barbie~ I really appreciated this post today.  It was the first one I read when I got up and I feel certain that was a divine appointment. Your words minister to em here, because, well, I am just still trying to learn what it IS to abide in Him. I find it so challenging, but I feel like right now, these days, he is slowly leading me through learning what it means and how to do it well… blessings, sister.

October 3, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I am right there with you on this journey, Kris.  I wish I could say I’ve arrived, that these words come from a place of victory.  So thankful you are learning this journey along with me.

Anonymous
    October 3, 2011 at 11:56 am

Oh friend.  Your post just prompted me to write a post this morning.  I long to abide in my Lord’s presence.  I have been so busy.  Sigh …

October 3, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Girl, I so understand.  Here I am writing about the topic of “abiding”, and well, it’s been a crazy and busy week.  But I’m pressing through!

Stephanie Hanes
    October 3, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I love the waiting on the Lord, knowing that, though life may not be good, He is ALWAYS good.  Such a beautiful truth!  Thanks for sharing!

Maria @ A Blooming Spirit
    October 3, 2011 at 8:28 am

lovely post and so true.  I guess for me the hardest part is to put aside my impatience and waitin on Him.  Thanks for the always helpful reminder to just be still in his precense.

October 3, 2011 at 1:51 pm

For me, it’s putting aside all of the “preparations” and “planning”, and allowing myself that much needed time at His feet.

Jennifer
    October 3, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I am listening, Barbie!  Hope you are having a good day, friend!

October 4, 2011 at 6:40 am

Thanks Jennifer.  Praying the same for you!

Child of God
    October 3, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Hi Barbie, 🙂
    I love this post! I too am learning to abide in Him and I am discovering it is all about our mind set; how we look on things. When we are doing our work, are we glorifying Him, or are we anxious, angry, impatient. I am learning that if I focus my mind on Him He gets all the glory and the words I speak are honoring to Him, well most of the time, I am improving. :s A renewing of our mind, really it is just a change in looking at things half full instead of half empty. Thanks for sharing what you are learning, I am gleaning much.

Some news on Keegan. I saw a FB message that he moved his legs last night!! Beth will be putting up a post and I am anxious to read the details. This is a miracle! Just a few weeks ago, or it was last month Barbie got the official noticed that Keegan is never going to walk again. She received all the official paper work. Please continue to ask our Father to heal this sweet boy.

Blessings,

October 4, 2011 at 6:42 am

I want God to be glorified in all that I do.  Thank you for the update on Keegan.  I am definately praying for that miracle.  Can you point me to where I can receive updates?

Caitlin
    October 4, 2011 at 3:23 am

Barbie, I am so thankful for you! I stepped onto your blog for the first time today, and it hit me like a breath of fresh air. I can feel the Lord’s presence all over your blog page! I want to thank you so much for all of the amazing encouragement you have given me over at my place. It’s people like you who inspire me to keep going! You are a blessing. Thank you!

October 4, 2011 at 6:40 am

Thanks for stopping by Stephanie!

October 4, 2011 at 6:43 am

I am glad to be here for you Caitlin.  I was once a new blogger and so appreciated those who came to encourage me then.  It’s the main reason I am still here today!