43 In Writing & Blogging

Writing for His Glory

When I was a little girl, my voice was hard to hear over the voices of my four brothers and sisters.  Their much bigger, often louder voices would drown out my timid, small voice most of the time.  Unless I was yelling, you could pretty much bet that my voice was overlooked in the crowd.  As a young teen, I adapted my voice to become whatever someone wanted to hear at the moment — friends, teachers, even parents.  Whatever it was that I thought would please others, that is what came out of my mouth.  Up until the time I was about 20 years old, I did not understand that God had give me a unique voice all my own.  I did not understand that my voice was created to be heard.

I have a unique voice, unlike any other.  There is no one on this earth that can make the sound that my voice was created to make.  Whether I am speaking, singing or laughing my voice was specifically designed to join a chorus of voices to lift praise and adoration to my Creator, God.  Did you know that our voices carry a unique DNA?  Really, they do!  And that unique DNA creates a song unlike any other heard in the entire universe.  Without our voices, the choir in heaven would be incomplete.

So how does blogging fit into all of this?  Even though these words that you read here are not spoken from my mouth to yours, they are spoken through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and deposited into your heart from mine.  When I first began blogging over 2 years ago, I wondered if my voice would be heard.  If anyone would care to read the words that Holy Spirit put on my heart to share.  But over time, it became clear that it didn’t really matter.  The purpose of my blog is to bring glory to the Lord.  I blog for an audience of One, and if there are those who follow along, that is a bonus!  I also blog to encourage the hearts of women.  It brings me no greater joy then when I receive a comment from a reader who tells me how a post has touched her heart deeply.  Even in the written word here, I have the awesome responsibility to declare His truth and bring glory to His Name.

In my personal relationships, and in my relationships here in blogland, it is God’s desire that my voice be heard to declare His worth and bring Him glory.

May God, who gives this patience and encouragement, help you live in complete harmony with each other, as is fitting for followers of Christ Jesus. Then all of you can join together with one voice, giving praise and glory to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.  (Romans 15:5-6)

God has given me a voice.  A voice to declare His truth to all who cross my path.  A voice to declare His praise

Kendra
    November 21, 2011 at 6:35 am

How beautiful. What a great reminder to write for the One who really matters. Thanks!

November 22, 2011 at 11:23 am

Thank you Kendra!

Meredith
    November 21, 2011 at 7:21 am

Oh I love this… I love every single word.
    And I needed…. desperately needed to hear it, and will spend the rest of my life trying to believe it.

The amazing truths just don’t stay believed sometimes.
    We have to hear them over, and over…

Thank you so much.

November 21, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Meredith, I am so with you on having to put my brain on repeat to consistently remember these truths.  I appreciate the visit.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Child of God
    November 21, 2011 at 8:18 am

Ok, wow! I sure needed to read this. I am usually over powered in a group of people. My voice drowns out, it is like people don’t even hear me when I speak, they just cut me off and continue on or totally ignore me. This use to bother me a lot, but now I just pull back and pray. God has put me here as an intercessor and He has put me into the thick of the spiritual war.

It is nice hearing that He wants my voice to be heard. This really warms my heart.

Thanks for speaking Barbie, this really helps me a lot.

Smiles,

November 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Keep speaking girl!

Venessa
    November 21, 2011 at 9:00 am

I have missed reading your posts and I am so thankfully for this one today! You are an encouragement to me!!!

November 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Oh Venessa, thank you for stopping by! I’ve thought of you. And now I am off to find your new blog so that I can continue to follow your journey. Love and blessings!

homebldrs
    November 21, 2011 at 10:25 am

I love this Barbie – I blog for an audience of One.  That’s a great truth to keep in mind.  Many blessings!

Lisa
    A Moment with God

November 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Thanks Lisa! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Jamie Schulz
    November 21, 2011 at 10:49 am

Amen! I love this post…it is so beautiful when we can inspire and encourage one another with the voice God has given us!

November 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Thanks for stopping by today Jamie!

Laura Rath
    November 21, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Hi Barbie, I love what you wrote here! I’ve had the exact same thoughts and have even wondered “who am I to be writing about God?” But starting a blog and women’s Bible study was something He laid on my heart. I didn’t even know where to start, but He led me through it. It was amazing! Now whenever I start questioning myself I have to remember that first, I’m doing it for Him, and second, for my own spiritual growth. If others read what I wrote, that’s a bonus. If even one other person is touched, that’s God’s work! He just lets me help a little. 🙂

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving a comment. Happy Thanksgiving!
    In Christ,
    Laura

November 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Thanks for visiting Laura. I use to be so scared to hit “publish” while share my heart hear, for fear of what if I get it wrong, interpret scripture wrong, etc. and so on. It’s been so freeing, my writing here. May God continually bless you as you write!

tracie @ {tsj} photography
    November 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm

“A voice to declare His truth to all who cross my path.”  YES!  that’s it exactly!

thank you for stopping by today and bringing me here!  keep writing it girl! 🙂

November 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Thank you Tracie!  I love your blog and am following you along there!

Lisa notes
    November 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm

“I did not understand that my voice was created to be heard.”

This sentence stopped me. My voice was created to be heard. Whether vocally or through writing or through touch. God wants us to communicate. About Him.

This is inspiring. Thank you!

November 22, 2011 at 11:25 am

For the longest time I thought I had no voice, because I wasn’t a speaker or a teacher.  But I am learning that He speaks to me and through my writing, I really do have a voice!

Joan
    November 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Barbie – you are an encourager and I’m thankful to have “met” you in blog land. Keep wrting for His glory!

Blessings,
    Joan

November 22, 2011 at 11:25 am

Thank you so much Joan!  I appreciate you!

Aubrey Barela
    November 21, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Barbie thank you for this reminder. Blogging for an audience for ONE. Bringing glory and praise to his name through our blogs. Good stuff.

November 22, 2011 at 11:26 am

Thank you for stopping by Aubrey.

Reenicole77
    November 21, 2011 at 8:28 pm

That was beautiful!! I feel you! You sound so much like me! 🙂 When I started blogging last month, I said I finally found my voice. Being naturally quiet and not a reader or writer by nature, blogging has changed me soo much. God is good! I know it’s all Him !  🙂

November 22, 2011 at 11:26 am

That’s so great Reenicole77.  May God continue to use your blog to bring Glory to His Name!

Alene Snodgrass
    November 21, 2011 at 9:03 pm

This is SOOOOOO what I needed to hear, friend. I think just like when I listen to a recording of my verbal voice I don’t like it, and just as I look back over my written voice I don’t like it.  But thanks for the reminder that that’s the voice God gave me. He gave me a voice to share. Not idle words but my story, His story, His truths. He is all that matters. I use to sing with our worship band and prayed continually that I would honor the Audience of One, the Only ONE that mattered. Why I never thought of my writings the same way, I have no idea. I’m kind of slow that-a-way. 🙂 You’re the bestest. Blessings friend.

November 22, 2011 at 11:27 am

Oh friend, we are so much alike. I am currently singing on teams in our house of prayer.  Probably the least skilled singer of all of them.  But my heart is turned toward the Lord.  That’s how it is in my writing too!  I have been so blessed by your blog. Continuing writing for Him!  He is using you.

Stacey29lincoln
    November 21, 2011 at 9:10 pm

You always bless.  Each time I come to your table, I am fed!  Thank you sweet friend for writing for Him and letting us be encouraged!

November 22, 2011 at 11:28 am

Thank you so much Stacey for your encouragement.  I feel the same way about you!

Elizabeth
    November 21, 2011 at 10:08 pm

There’s nothing like the feeling of doing the things God created you to do!

November 22, 2011 at 11:29 am

Thanks for stopping by Elizabeth!

Jamie @ Six Bricks High
    November 21, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I love that you blog for an audience of One.  I truly love your heart and I find encouragement from your words so often.  Thanks for sharing your heart!

November 22, 2011 at 11:29 am

Thank you Jamie!

Denise J. Hughes
    November 22, 2011 at 12:12 am

I write for an audience of One. Absolutely.This is my heart’s desire. I so appreciate your writing voice. May God bless you as you continue to write and bless others.

November 22, 2011 at 11:34 am

Thank you Denise!  I’ve been blessed by your writing as well.

shelley
    November 22, 2011 at 12:53 am

Barbie, the way the Lord speaks through you in your writing amazes me. You bless me daily and I love the way your words always seem so fresh (if that makes any sense at all). There are not too many women that I can actually say that I see Jesus in them (their words their face their life) but I definitely see Jesus in you .

November 22, 2011 at 11:34 am

Shelley, thank you so much for encouraging my heart today!  You are a blessing!

Kerri Smith
    November 22, 2011 at 5:41 am

I love hearing your writing voice and am always so encouraged and blessed.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Rosann
    November 22, 2011 at 5:59 am

Barbie…can I just shout a very loud AMEN to this post?   I couldn’t agree with you more.  When I first started blogging I was nervous, thinking…what if nobody reads my blog…what if I make a fool of myself?  But then I realized the purpose of my blog was to connect with and encourage other people by sharing my own journey through Christian faith as a wife, a mom, and God’s child.   As it turns out, God continues to reveal to me over and over again how He is placing the words of my blog in front of the people who need to read them most on a particular day or through their own storm.  I feel so blessed to be God’s hands and feet…maybe even His voice…through the ministry that Christian Super Mom is slowly becoming.

~Blessings dear friend!   And Happy Thanksgiving  🙂

November 22, 2011 at 11:35 am

Thank you Rosann.  May He continue to use your voice to encourage many!

Anonymous
    November 22, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I was just using YOU as an example this morning.  My friend Angie (Laughter Does the Heart Good) and I were discussing writing styles and I brought you into the conversation.  I love how my friends write and I often look at the styles of others and think, “I could never write like that!”  A true statement.  We can’t write like each other because each of us has our own gifting — our own DNA as you put it.

I am grateful for your voice out here in the blogosphere!

November 22, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Awe, you are a gem! And I love your heart and your writing for the Lord. There is only one you and only one me, but together we are powerful voices! Keep writing!

Katie Orr
    November 22, 2011 at 7:45 pm

This is beautiful, thank you for sharing your journey. Freeing, isn’t it? To see our audience as God, and if He chooses to use it—exciting!

charis
    November 23, 2011 at 10:04 am

glad you stepped out and started writing.