I Don’t Want To Forget

The ornaments are beginning to fall off the tree.  The pretty packages are gone and all that is left behind are empty bags and boxes.  Gifts strewn around the house, still not put away.  Empty stockings lie here and there, LEGOs have overtaken my kitchen table, and boxes of homemade goodies line my counter tops.

In the aftermath of what is Christmas, I want to learn to slow down and take it all in.  I’ve caught myself wanting to hurry up, to clean it up, to get things back into order.  But then this morning, my dear friend Rachel reminds me that it’s good to sit and rest a while, not to rush to return to the way things were.  There is beauty in the aftermath that is Christmas.  I don’t want to forget these moments.  I want to make memories, surrounded by family and friends, and remember the JOY that is Christmas.  I want to fully live in this moment, even despite the chaos.

I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.   (John 10:10b)

Grace gifts 411-420

411.  God’s provision shown through empty boxes and pieces of wrapping paper.
412.  That my daughter’s flu only lasted 12 hours and she is enjoying Christmas today.
413.  Getting to see my brother-in-law and his son, who I haven’t seen for a few years.
414.  My oldest daughter’s engagement!  Be still my heart.
415.  A Dutch Baby breakfast this morning.
416.  The joy on my son’s face as he spends hours building his new Lego sets.
417.  Four more days of vacation!
418.  My unsuspected gift and how God provided financially for it.
419.  Being able to enjoy the simplicity that is Christmas.
420.  Looking forward to 2012 with JOY and anticipation.

Linking up with Ann Voskamp and a community of grace seekers as we count towards 1000 gifts (and beyond).  Will you join me there?  Or simply leave a comment and share how you are experiencing Christmas joy in the aftermath today.

1. Diana says:

I know I have a lot of joys… blessings… but in the aftermath that is this year’s Christmas, having learned just two days before that my (step)mom is dying of cancer, my joy is that I have had one more Christmas with her in my life as my *mom*.

2. Debbie says:

It is always a joy to read your grace gifts list.  I like how you took the advice of your friend Rachel. Although I had a quiet Christmas, I’ve been anxious to get everything cleaned up before I have to return to work next week.  Maybe I’ll take a few days and …relax too.  🙂

Blessings and love,
    Debbie

3. Debbie says:

Oh I had to come back after I clicked on your unsuspected gift.  Greg got me one too and I love it!  Although he shouldn’t have spent the money, he sees me using it and having fun.  I love to read and listen to music and watch movies.  Enjoy Barbie!!!!

4. Pamela Kuhn says:

I so agree.  My daughter just finished her first semester of college.  I’ve made an effort to just let her sit, not to think I need to take Christmas down, clean her closet or any of the other things I think I want to accomplish.  Just sit and be.  And, like you said, enjoy the joy that is Christmas.

5. Maria says:

Barbie, beautiful as always.  I almost started taking things down today but decided to wait.  This season has been so special that I want to wait. 🙂

6. Southern Gal says:

#416 -experiencing that myself.  A daughter’s engagement is so exciting!  Have a blessed week.

7. Erin Nolan says:

I too was contemplating getting my house back in order today but then realized that I wanted to linger in the aftermath and enjoy.  The day after Christmas is really my favorite day, it always seems quiet and peaceful, the rushing and running around is done.  I’m going to enjoy this, soak it all in this week.

8. Nikki says:

Eeek! An engagement! An unsuspected gift and God’s provisions for it all. Yes, be still, friend.
    Revel in the Joy. . .
    So happy to hear you had a blessed Christmas.

9. Love this, Barbie. May we never forget. Beautiful list, too. I experienced #416 today, except with Lincoln Logs. 🙂

10. Daisy Escobosa says:

I’m with you on that. Christmas needs to be everyday 🙂

11. carissa says:

it’s so easy to forget Christmas when it turns December 26th.  but i want the joy and promise of hope to be with me every other day, too.  i’m so glad it can be!  thank you, Jesus!

-carissa

12. I couldn’t agree more… Christmas lingers in our home for weeks. And I love it! Congratulations on your daughter’s engagement! How exciting! 🙂

13. Denise Oldham says:

Awesome post.

14. Carrie says:

I completely relate to how you’re feeling.  My living room is utter chaos and I couldn’t find any decent plastic bins to separate the new toys and put them away.  Perhaps this was a sign to keep them all out…for a little longer?  Thank you for sharing!

• Barbie says:

We took the tree down today.  But everything else is still up.  And now, I won’t have time to do it until Saturday.  Oh well!  Thanks for stopping by!