Faith

Making Memories

Ornaments.  We have them in every size, shape and color imaginable.  Round balls with gold trim, silver icecycle sticks, glass snowman and angels.  I love collecting fragile and ornate ones, those that I can keep to myself.  And then there are the hand made ornaments made by my children.  These are the ones that take me back to when my children were little. Oh how I miss those days.  Their eyes full of wonder.  It didn’t take much to bring them joy, to see them smile.

As I sat and watched my children place the ornaments carefully on the tree, I gave thanks to God for the memories of the simpler days, and I was reminded that I am called to a simple life.  Life can be too complex at times.  We blow it up out of proportion, forgetting our focus and that’s when it become unmanageable.  But if we allow ourselves to lay back for a moment and rest, we will see that there is joy and beauty everywhere we go.

I pray that you will slow down for just a little bit today and look upon the simplicity of the season.  Just for a moment, leave the hustle and bustle behind and stop and breathe Him in.  Allow Him to make memories in your heart and life today.

Grace gifts 386-400

386.  No rain on the day we cut down our tree.
387.  Watching my children decorate the tree.
388.  Hearing gasps of delight as my children uncover ornaments full of memories.
389.  Christmas music!
390.  A new purse.
391.  A job that will keep my husband working for the next 10-12 months!
392.  Dinner with friends.
393.  Homemade toffee!
394.  Christmas celebration with the best church staff  and board on the planet!
395.  The hope that Jesus brings in the midst of tragedy.
396.  The light of His Word.  Darkness will not prevail.
397.  The comfort of the Holy Spirit.
398.  The excitement of my children leading up to our Christmas celebration.
399.  Sales on most things on my list this year.
400.  God’s little reminders that I am loved.

I am linking up with Ann at A Holy Experience today, where we are sharing our gifts to 1000 (and beyond).  Will you join me there?  Or leave a comment below and tell me how you are making memories this season.

33 thoughts on “Making Memories”

1. Anonymous says:

Wonderful list, Barbie!  It is the simple things that produce the greatest memories.  Yay for work for your hubby!

Many blessings,
    Lisa
    A Moment with God

2. Anonymous says:

Many blessings,
    Lisa
    A Moment with God

Thank you Lisa!

3. Anonymous says:

Beautiful list, sweet friend.  I especially love…

395.  The hope that Jesus brings in the midst of tragedy.

396.  The light of His Word.  Darkness will not prevail.

397.  The comfort of the Holy Spirit.

He’s such a wonderful gift giver…

1. Barbie says:

He has so much to give to us, fresh and anew each and every morning!

1. Dayna says:

Yes, His mercy’s are new every day. Great is His faithfulness!
        Have a blessed day!

Thank you so much Dayna!

4. Kerri Smith says:

Beautiful list!! So happy to hear your hubby has work! Praise God!!!

1. Barbie says:

Nice to “see” you Kerri! Have a great day.

5. charis says:

yay for #391!  i love your list today.

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for stopping by Charis!

6. Shanda Oakley says:

My Christmas memories take me back to simpler days as well. I think Christmas can go to either extreme. This year, I am very very simple.  Not out of choice but out of surgery, sickness and depression. Yet, in the midst of that I am rejoicing in being home and being simple.

1. Barbie says:

I think we get a totally different perspective when we are faced with difficult circumstances. Those are the times when we really just have Jesus to get us through. Praying peace and strength for you my friend.

7. Denise Oldham says:

Wonderful list.

Thank you Denise!

8. Alene Snodgrass says:

Love this post as it brings tears to my eyes. Those precious memories in all those ornaments. I haven’t done a thing for Christmas this year, which is unusual for me. I think part of it, my heart wants to avoid those precious memories, because this is the first Christmas without my daddy. But I’m looking forward to Thursday as my children will help me put up our tree (I think that’s all I’ll do this season), and I get to recount those precious memories of those ornaments of years gone by. One of my favorite things about decorating. Your gift 386 reminds me when we lived in Germany, as it was the only time in my life when I was close enough to pine trees to get to cut my own down. Loved it! Blessings this week, sweet friend.

1. Barbie says:

This will be a hard Christmas for you.  I am asking God to flood your heart and mind with those amazing and special memories you have of your daddy.  Have a blessed week my friend.

9. Heidi... says:

Thanks for the reminder to look upon the simplicity!  Thanks also for stopping by to say HI today!

Thank you Heidi!

10. Jamie @ Six Bricks High says:

#391! WooHoo! Praising God with you for that gift!  I’m being more deliberate about slowing down lately and it is oh so good for my heart!  Love your list and your words today.

1. Barbie says:

I have to tell  myself every day to “be still and know”.  He is God and He will keep me in perfect peace.

11. Venessa says:

Loved this post…although I love all your posts! I always need to be reminded to slow down and just be. It is so easy getting caught up in all the “to-do” lists and planning for tomorrow.
    We collect ornaments too. I love picking one out each year and this year is super special! Hopefully this is something that we will pass down to our babe!

1. Barbie says:

For a while, I bought my children ornaments every year.  Then for whatever reason I stopped.  Now, for the last few years I’ve been doing it again.  It’s so much fun!

12. Debbie says:

Barbie, I was so excited for you when I read #391.  But of course, the rest of your blessing list is wonderful.  God is so good.  He provides what we need, just when we need it.  I think you and I are realizing how very special simplicity can be.

I got your message about praying for Kristin.  I will be praying.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie

Thank you Debbie!

13. Kim @ stuff could.... says:

I love the memories of my kids at Christmas….love this post

1. Barbie says:

Thanks Kim! I appreciate your visits!

14. Jenifer Metzger says:

Beautiful list Barbie!  This world gets so busy and crazy, we need to focus on the simple things.  That is what brings the most memories and joy.

Jenifer

1. Barbie says:

Thank you for stopping by!

15. Jennifer Camp says:

Barbie, the Father is definitely speaking to me, here.  I heard this yesterday, from a friend, when she shared how God had put on her heart two words:  simplicity and play.  It so resonated with me, my heart beating fast.  I want that.  I want to slow and soak up this joy, this beauty, this stunning, adventure-filled life that is rich with discovery if  I slow to see and savor it.  Thank you so, so much.

1. Barbie says:

I love hearing how God blesses through my humble words here. Thank you my friend!

16. Sandy a la Mode says:

i can’t wait til my little one is born and to watch him decorate the tree!! 😀

1. Barbie says:

There is nothing like it!