45 In Faith

Pursue

I’ve been busy writing out my spiritual goals for the coming year.  One of the things I want to accomplish in 2012 is to read the Bible through in its entirety.  I start out every year with good intentions, but then get off track down the road.  This year, I will be reading the One Year Chronological Bible (NLT) to help me achieve this goal.  Also beginning, January 1st, I will be starting a study on Jesus, 90 Days with the One and Only.  I will be blogging my insights and reflections each Wednesday here on my blog.  I hope you will visit and interact with me through your comments.

I’ve been thinking about whether I wanted to have a One Word focus again this year.  Last year, my word was “Constant”.  You can read why I chose this word here.  Looking back over 2011, I cannot say that I achieved my goals of what defined my one word choice.  I am still learning to be constant in prayer, to be persistent and relentless in my pursuit of Him.

So, I’ve been praying and asking.

I asked Him for one word to define my pursuits.

He said, “Pursue me”.

I asked him for one word to define my relationships.

He said, “Pursue others”.

I asked him for one word to define my health and well being.

He said, “Pursue health”.

Pursue –
follow, run after, chase, seek, search for.

This year, going deeper in God will be my first priority.  I cannot be a good wife, mother, friend or employee without first being connected to the Vine.  He is the source of my strength.  It is only with His help that I can do all that I do.  And this going deeper starts first with me.  He has already gone all the way to meet me.  I must seek Him out.  I must search for Him while He can be found.  I must push everything else aside because, in the end, those things do not matter.  What matters is that I know Him.  What steps am I taking to have a deeper life in God?  This year, I want to be wholehearted in my pursuit of God.

“Seek the LORD while he may be found; call upon him while he is near.”  (Isaiah 55:6)

As far as relationships are concerned, I can isolate like the best of them.  It’s easier some times to just “go it alone” in life.  But God never intended that I walk this journey alone.  He has brought some amazing women into my life, those that I know personally, and those that I hope to get to meet one day (all of you!)  The bottom line is, we need each other.  Most days I sit.  I wait for the phone to ring. I wait for the email to invite.  I want for the knock on the door.  But what am I doing to pursue deeper friendships with the people God has placed in my life?  It has to start with me.  This year, I want to be intentional in my pursuit of others.

And concerning health, I’ve done it all.  I think I’ve started every diet under the sun at one point or another.  I’ve talked a lot to others about my desire to lose weight and be healthy.  I’ve even gone up for prayer, asking that God would strengthen me.  But still I sit.  I don’t move. I hide, underneath this mask of weight. It’s easier to go unseen, but I sure don’t feel good.  What am I doing to pursue health and wholeness in my life?  This year, I want to be purposeful in my pursuit of health.

I can’t think of a better way to end 2011 than by looking forward to 2012 with a desire for wholehearted devotion to the Lord, intentional time with those I love, and purposefully seeking after health and wholeness.

Has God laid a focus on your heart for the coming year?  I would love it if you shared it with me.

*Post edited to link up with Bonnie the Faith Barista as we share our words for 2012.

Lindy Kaden
    December 31, 2011 at 6:25 am

Very well written.  This “pursue Christ” would be a good way to determine your goals, whether you are being called to do something or help someone.  I pray you can constantly pursue Christ.

December 31, 2011 at 9:14 am

Thank you for stopping by Lindy!

Anonymous
    December 31, 2011 at 6:28 am

Barbie, I read through the One Year Chronological Bible (NLT) this year and I loved it!   As you know, I just wrote about throwing off labels and choosing my One Word for 2012.  God is telling me to FOCUS.  Focus on Him and His purpose for my life.  I’ve been all over the place in my pursuits, but He wants me to FOCUS on Him and pursue Him above all else.  I’m excited about what this new year holds in store for us.

Many blessings friend and Happy New Year!

December 31, 2011 at 9:15 am

I think focus and pursue are so similar.  I am sure I will need lots of focus and determination to stay steadfast in my pursuit of Him!  Blessings to you Lisa.

Dawn Paoletta
    December 31, 2011 at 6:53 am

Beautiful! Great word for the New Year and I started the Chronological Bible but did not get through it as I also get sidetracked! But I have read through the Bible in a year and love doing so. I am still pondering my goals for the New Year. Cautiously. I had so many aspirations this past year and God dashed them all and then gave me blogging. Which was not even on my radar! Best wishes for your pursuits this year, Barbie! God gave me a word and a verse. It was Less. I actually was miffed until I sought Him more and He is continuing to show me already why Less is best for me my walk with Him into 2012. I already wrote a post about it to be published on January 6th (linking up with Faith Barista that day) This post is sweetly inspiring!

December 31, 2011 at 9:16 am

Thank you Dawn.  I will look forward to reading your post on the 6th!

Veronica Hill
    December 31, 2011 at 7:07 am

What a beautiful word! I am a fairly new follower (I love the way you write!) and a very new blogger. One thing I knew right away when I decided to start a blog was that I wanted to use it share different things the Lord is teaching me. After reading this post, I realize more than ever that I need to be praying and listening to what God has to teach me (I tend to think I have His lessons allllll figured out, silly me!). I cant wait to read more about how He uses the word “pursue” in your life in 2012!

December 31, 2011 at 9:17 am

Thank you so much Veronica.  I hope to pop over to your blog for a visit soon!

Laura Rath
    December 31, 2011 at 7:20 am

Hi Barbie, I’ve never chosen a word for the year before, but for weeks I’ve known mine for 2012 is TRUST. Over the past 2 years, I’ve been learning to trust God more and in everything, but it’s been even more so in 2011 that I’ve been learning to trust Him. At times I’ve felt like He’s been asking me, Do you trust Me? And for the first time a couple of months ago I was able to say, Yes, and be at peace with it. I feel like I need to continue and so TRUST is my word for 2012.

I won’t be able to participate in your study since I also have one starting tomorrow, but I look forward to reading your posts and reflections!

Btw, you button for your one word is beautiful! Blessings on your new year!

In Christ,
    Laura

December 31, 2011 at 9:18 am

Trust is so key in our lives.  No worries about the study.  I am looking forward to following yours along as well.  And the button, I made that thing myself.  Took me forever.  But I am quite proud of it!

Charina
    December 31, 2011 at 7:28 am

Barbie, this is beautiful as always….

For 2012, I want to share more of God’s greatness and love and be a blessings to others…..

Happy New Year!

December 31, 2011 at 9:18 am

Great goals Charina!

Adie
    December 31, 2011 at 7:56 am

Such a wonderful post Barbie. I pray often about many of these topics and the top one ie about being the mother and wife he wants me to be and of course for strength to achieve the health fowls I set out to reach. This post really got me to thinking. I have read two posts now setting out to read the bible through a goal I would love to reach but it seems so intimidating. I will have to reconsider. Happy New Year!

December 31, 2011 at 9:19 am

Adie, it is intimidating, but so rewarding.  You can read it along side with me!  I hope to blog my journey each week.

Christina Berry
    December 31, 2011 at 8:00 am

PURSUE… I like it! And I love the term “purposeful pursuit”!

I’m wishing you a happy, healthy, journey in 2012, Barbie! I hope you’re wonderfully blessed!

December 31, 2011 at 9:19 am

Thank you my friend!

Jenifer
    December 31, 2011 at 8:43 am

I read the One Year Chronological Bible this year.  I actually finished a few days before Christmas. I loved it!  I loved having that plan right there and love reading it in order.  I also did the one word challenge and I am still praying about my word for 2012.

I love how you said you cannot be a good wife, mother, etc, without first being connected to the Vine.  Beautiful and so true!!

Happy New Year!
    Jenifer

December 31, 2011 at 9:20 am

Thank you Jennifer!

Deb
    December 31, 2011 at 9:11 am

I love this! Pursue is active . . . living with purpose. Pursuing the Lord, healthy relationships, and health. Prayers that you see countless blessings from your pursuits. I have been reading through the Chronological NLT Bible since Sept. You will love it! Blessings to you my dear friend1

January 2, 2012 at 1:09 am

I love the NLT translation.  It really helps me to understand.  Thanks Deb!

Denise J. Hughes
    December 31, 2011 at 10:30 am

My husband just gave me the One Year Chronological Bible (NLT) for Christmas! I’m so excited to read through the Bible chronologically this year. Maybe we can hold each other accountable – especially when it comes time to slog through Leviticus? 🙂

January 2, 2012 at 1:11 am

Denise, that would be great!  I am hoping to blog on Fridays, beginning on the 13th about my journey through the Word and my pursuit of health.  You are welcome to join me there by commenting.  I may or may not do a link up, depending on if others want to write a post.  But, I did join this facebook group, formed by a beautiful blogger that I follow.  We are all going through the NLT Chronological Bible and holding one another accountable.  Check it out!

Photographing Mom
    December 31, 2011 at 10:47 am

Your word and your reasons for it are beautiful!! I’m still thinking on my but am believing it’s probably going to be savor.

January 2, 2012 at 1:12 am

Hmmm, savor.  I love the sound of that one!

Child of God
    December 31, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I love your word!! I love how you have been pursuing Jesus and I am thrilled to read your journey through 2012 pursuing Jesus, the Author of our hearts.

God Bless you sister,

January 2, 2012 at 1:12 am

Awe, thank you my friend!  I appreciate you so much!

jkhenderson3
    December 31, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Pursue. What a great word for 2012. And I love how you even included intentionally pursuing relationships with other people. I, too, can be bad about isolating myself. My word for 2012 is intentional…and I know being intentional in reaching out to others is something I need to be sure I do, too.

Blessings to you as you wholeheartedly pursue the Lord. I know your life will be richly blessed as you follow hard after Him!

January 2, 2012 at 1:13 am

Thank you Kimberly!  I haven’t forgotten about your little gift.  It will be on it’s way soon!

Janet
    January 1, 2012 at 7:33 am

Happy New Year!
    My word for the year 2012 is SEEK.  My verse is Luke 11:9-10
    Warmly,
    Janet

ps. Love your posts.

January 2, 2012 at 1:13 am

Love your word.  Seek and pursue are so similar.  Thank you so much for your kind words.

Katy
    January 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm

LOVE your word. that will be a fun word but with a punch too. i’m excited to see where god takes you with it!

January 2, 2012 at 1:14 am

Me too Katy!  Looking forward with expectation!

Jennifer
    January 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I love to learn the word God has laid on everyone’s heart.  What a wonderful word, Barbie!  I can just imagine how He is going to whisper to you throughout the year. A blessed New Year to you, friend!

Zoe Gregg
    January 5, 2012 at 10:37 am

I’m on my second bible in a year read through and sadly will not have finished in a year.  I think I have just two weeks to go now.
    My Theme for this year is “Enjoy the Adventure”

January 6, 2012 at 11:46 am

Zoe, keep reading even though the new year has started! And I love your theme of enjoying the adventure!

Sarah
    January 5, 2012 at 11:50 am

I especially appreciate your insights about intentionality. No matter what word we’ve chosen for the year ahead, intentionality is so important. Thanks for sharing!

January 6, 2012 at 11:46 am

Thank you Sarah!

Debbie
    January 7, 2012 at 6:40 am

I love your word “pursue”.  We can so easily pursue things and people in this world but to pursue God with all your heart is the best!  Wholehearted devotion to Him is  a wise heart choice.  After all, He is the one who pursued you and brought you to salvation in Jesus.  Now you are choosing to really submit fully to Him in response.

I look forward to connecting with you on your next trip to AZ.  You are a blessing.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie

January 7, 2012 at 9:41 am

Thank you Debbie! Let’s pray I can work that in. Now that my daughter will be getting married in June, I may have to wait!

Esther Feng
    January 8, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Barbie, I’m doing the chronological bible too 🙂 glad to do it together with you. Though I’m going slowly. Sometimes there’s stuff I need to stop and think about!

Ms. Kathleen
    January 12, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Pursue is perfect and when you CONSTANTLY PURSUE – you will reach you goals — and you have a few set for 2012. What an exciting year God has for you!

Anonymous
    January 16, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Hi Barbie — it’s beautiful to hear about your One Word .. in conjunction with His Words.. and your desire to pursue Him.. through His words and whispers.. Thank you for being a refreshing brew in our community.. !

January 16, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Thanks Bonnie! I always appreciate your visits.

Meg
    January 17, 2012 at 5:51 pm

What an awesome word for 2012!  Wishing you the best as you walk through this year, praying God’s best for you as you pursue Him and what He has in store for your next 12 months!

Ashley @ Proverbs & Wisdom
    March 12, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I like how you summed up your goal’s this year with one word: pursue. And whether you use it in faith to pursue God, in friendships or in your personal life, it fits well. I’m inspired. As hard as things can get, remember to never give up! I like to remember Proverbs 16:3 when I’m trying to accomplish something. The scripture reads, “Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.” Please know that as you make this commitment to pursue God, He will help you achieve your goals.
    Blessings always, Ashley.