30 In Book study/ Uncategorized

A New Journey

In making my 2012 goals, one of the things at the top of my list is to get healthy.  I have known for a long time that I needed to take a long, hard look at my unhealthy habits:

• I don’t eat well.
  • I don’t sleep well.
  • I don’t exercise at all.
  • I don’t drink enough water.

It’s not that I haven’t tried to get healthy or lose weight.  I have done many different diets and have lost weight and felt better.  But then life gets in the way and I forget that it takes hard work and effort to continue to make good choices.  Health is a lot more than weight loss.  To me, it’s giving God first place.  Giving Him all of me.  I am a broken vessel and only through Him will I find the path to health and wholeness.

I have been corresponding with Venessa through blog comments as we’ve shared our 2012 goals and our desire to get healthy.  We began emailing each other and, after corresponding further, thought that it would be great to share this journey together.

“For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.”  (Matthew 18:20)

God never intended that we walk the hard places alone.  He brings people into our lives who will support and encourage, as well as make us face reality when we want to turn and run the other way.  This will be a long and hard journey.  I cannot do it alone.  And even though I’ve never met Venessa in person, I believe God brought us together to encourage one other along the way.

To help us focus on our goal, we have committed to reading through Lisa TerKeurst’s Made to Crave.  And we have decided that we would like to share our journey with you, our readers.  I will be sharing what God is revealing to my heart as I seek Him in this area, as well as sharing little insights from the book along the way.  I just love the tagline of the book.  It speaks volumes to me:

Satisfying your deepest desire with God, not food.

Isn’t that where it all starts?  Going deeper in God and asking Him to fill the voids that lie deep underneath the surface of our hearts?  We will read one chapter each week, and beginning on Friday, January 13th, you will be able to link up your posts, if you desire. Feel free to grab the button and use it for your posts or place it in your sidebar.  And even if you decide not to write a post, we would still love for you to share your journey with us through comments.

Be sure to stop by Venessa’s blog to read her intro post and introduce yourself.

Will you take the challenge to join us on this journey as we pursue health and wholeness together?  I hope you will say, “YES”!

Helen Tisdale
    January 6, 2012 at 2:47 am

Hi Barbie!  Well, I see you are PURSUING great things!  Let me be one in the numbeer!  Sign me up!  By the way I chose the word RESTORATION for 2012!  Remember me, I was so blessed from your post on your word choice!  I tried to leave a comment for Vaness; but it wouldn’t take it. I was doing something wrong re. URL.

January 6, 2012 at 11:45 am

Helen, we are so thankful to have you on board! Looking forward to the journey.

Larri at Seams Inspired
    January 6, 2012 at 5:50 am

Praying for you both as you start your journies and reach your goals. Happy Friday, friend! ☺

January 6, 2012 at 11:44 am

Thank you so much Larri!

Cyndi Spivey
    January 6, 2012 at 5:54 am

I have the book but haven’t read it. I may try to find it! 🙂

January 6, 2012 at 11:44 am

Cyndi, that would be great!

Lindy Kaden
    January 6, 2012 at 7:13 am

Because our bodies are temples of God.  Great job starting to get healthy!

January 6, 2012 at 11:44 am

Thank you Lindy!

Jenifer Metzger
    January 6, 2012 at 6:22 am

I can relate.  I read Made to Crave last year and loved it.  But I think it may be time to revisit that subject…

January 6, 2012 at 11:44 am

We’d love to have you join us if you feel led!

Venessa
    January 6, 2012 at 9:32 am

Very excited! I am glad that we decided to do this…let the journey begin!

January 6, 2012 at 11:43 am

Can’t wait!

Tiffany Stuart
    January 6, 2012 at 11:24 am

Happy New Year, Barbie. Praise God for a friend to come alongside you with the areas that concern you. Always remember you are God’s delight no matter what you do or don’t do. I believe you will find a healthy balance for your 2012. Your health matters. But please don’t worry about the # on a scale. Just be good to YOURSELF. You are worth caring for. May God give you daily strength to do one good health choice each day. He is more than able, lean on Him alone. Hugs

Kerri Smith
    January 6, 2012 at 11:28 am

Health and wholeness….I am so with you on this one, my friend!!

January 6, 2012 at 11:43 am

Wonderful Kerri. Do you plan to read the book or just share your journey through comments or on your blog? In any event, I am so thankful you are coming along with us!

January 6, 2012 at 11:48 am

Ok, where are the darn tissues when you need them? You truly blessed and encouraged me by your words today, more than you can know. Thank you!

Child of God
    January 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Hi Barbie, I will be holding you up in prayer. I agree with Tiffany, the weight on the scale is not that important, it is your heart and soul with Jesus that is so important. Healthy eating and lifestyle should be a concern for God did give us this body to live in and take care of, but He is the real focus here. 🙂

I think your great, I always have. The Spirit of God shines through you and touches people in ways I don’t think you see or understand. He has blessed me with you many times over.

Jesus is the reason,

January 7, 2012 at 9:42 am

Thank you so much.  I loved to log in this morning and receive your encouragement.

Christina Berry
    January 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Oh Barbie, I do all those same bad things. I don’t eat or sleep well. I don’t exercise enough to even say that I do, and while I do drink a lot of water, I know I should drink more. I really should grab this book and read along with you.

January 7, 2012 at 9:42 am

Christina, I say “yes”, you should!

Adoption Mama
    January 6, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Would love to go through the book…can’t right now. Thanks for your continued prayers. Look forward to hearing and reading what the Lord is teaching you through Lisa’s book. You always encourage me.

January 7, 2012 at 9:42 am

I totally understand.  Praying for you as well my friend.

Anna Smith
    January 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Well you have some really great resolutions! I will be rooting for you. Keep your head held high, explain to Jesus your goals and I will be praying for you! You can do it!

January 7, 2012 at 9:43 am

Thank you Anna!

Caitlin
    January 7, 2012 at 12:45 am

what a great idea, Barbie! I pray grace for your journey! It’s so crazy how much we rely on food to “prop us up.” I’m always amazed at how weak we truly are as human beings. Good for you for working towards giving God everything! I also want to begin to honor His temple more this year 🙂 blessings!

January 7, 2012 at 9:43 am

Thank you so much Caitlin.

Denise J. Hughes
    January 7, 2012 at 10:33 am

I read that book last summer and LOVED it. But, of course, life got busy teaching in the fall and all my good intentions went out the window. I just got the Made To Crave devotional this week and planned on returning to the principles in the book as part of my “getting healthier” plan for the new year. May I join you on this journey?  I would like to reread the book again too. It’s really worthwhile.

I love your blog!

January 7, 2012 at 11:27 am

Denise, I would love to have you join us! We will be reading Chapter 1 this week and then you can link up, if you will be posting, on Friday!

Keenalynn
    January 8, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I may read this one myself..I need to get healthier as well….I look forward to your insight….AND, thanks for the book

January 8, 2012 at 8:05 pm

You’re welcome!  And we would love to have you along, if even just through comments.