Delight Yourself in the Lord

Today over at Bonnie’s place we are discussing this one word:

Delight
To take great pleasure in

As I reflect on this one word, there are many things that come to mind that I take pleasure in:  my family, my job, painting, singing, reading, coffee, friendships, blogging, and the list continues.

And although all of these things are good, my heart will never be fully satisfied unless I learn to delight in the Lord.

Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.  (Psalm 37:4)

To delight in Him is to trust that His ways are good.  That He delights to give me good gifts.  That His heart is for me.  That He takes good care of me.

When I delight in the Lord, and in His ways, my heart is fully at rest.  When I press in to go deeper, to know Him better, everything my heart has ever yearned for is fulfilled because all I ever really have need of is Him.

Yet, it’s hard for me to comprehend at times that there is a God who delights in me.  One who takes pleasure in me.  I often feel unlovable and so unworthy of receiving all that He has to give.

“The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.”  (Zephaniah 3:17)

This is one of the first passages of scripture I memorized.  It reminds me that God is always with me.  Because he takes delight in me, he comes and calms my anxious heart, quieting the raging war inside of me with His love.  And He rejoices–over me–with singing.  The God of the universe sings over me.  Because He delights and takes pleasure in me!

The Lord God delights in you!  Do you find it hard to accept this fact?  My prayer is that you would be overwhelmed with His love and that He would draw you to the river of His delight as He washes you with the water of His Word.

May you delight in Him, as He delights in you!

Linking up with Bonnie today for Faith Barista JAM as we discuss this one word: delight.  Will you join me there?

1. Elizabeth says:

That is my word for 2012, DELIGHT!  And that is my theme scripture too! In the Amplified it says Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart!  How awesome is that!
    Did you read my comment that my youngest daughter works with your friend in the IHOP healing rooms?  She says that your friend is “the best”!  It’s a small world!

• Barbie says:

Oh I love that — the secret petitions of my heart being heard and met by God!

And yes, I got your comment and replied back.  Dawn is the best.  I love her so much!  Small world indeed!

2. Anonymous says:

LOVE the verse in Zephaniah!  My God delights in me and I delight in Him.  Beautiful, Barbie!

3. Jenifer Metzger says:

I  love that verse in Psalm.   Delight in the Lord!

Jenifer
    jenifermetzger.org

4. Jen says:

What a great reminder friend that all we really need is Him!

5. Kristine McGuire says:

What an amazing concept to wrap our brains around. God delights in us. I agree, it can be hard to remember that some times but such a blessing to press into.

6. Lindy Kaden says:

It makes me smile to be reminded that God delights in me.   We are beloved children!

7. jkhenderson3 says:

To think that HE delights in ME, that He takes pleasure in me…takes my breath away. Amazed by His love!

8. Barbie says:

It truly amazes me how much He delights in me!

9. Kerri Smith says:

I love the verse in Zephaniah!  He WILL take great delight in us,  He WILL quiet us with His love, He WILL sing over us….I just love that He choses to do all these things, not because of what we do but because He wants to, He desires to!! It blows my mind!

10. Charina says:

I delight in Him and knowing He delights in me….I am blessed!

11. Dayle says:

His love for us knows no end. Just knowing that brings pure delight.

Love this post, Barbie.

12. Debbie says:

I had such a good time writing on this word ‘delight’.  We both used the same Psalm, which I love. You always have such a great way of expressing yourself Barbie; loved this.

So glad He delights in us!

Blessings and love,
    Debbie

13. Love these verses and your thoughts so much!  They bring such comfort, don’t they?