14 In Book study

Made to Crave – Week 1 {The Journey Begins}

Thank you for stopping by.  Today is week 1 of our Made to Crave journey.  I am joining Venessa at Our Journey of Love as we link up to encourage one another in our desire to get healthy in 2012.  If you wrote a post, be sure to link up below.  Venessa and I are using the same link code, so the links should show up on both blogs.  And if you are visiting, we are thankful you are here. Feel free to interact with us in the comments.

Using Lysa Terkeurst’s book as our guide, we have decided that we would read one chapter a week.  Well, I am on Chapter 5.  But I plan to go back and re-read chapters each week.  There is so much depth and insight and I really want to slow down and take time to absorb it all, asking God for revelation.  Some weeks, I may note quote the book at all.  Just so you know.  I am realizing how much of a personal journey this will be, or all of us.  We won’t all walk it the same, but we can walk it together.

Change is Hard.

It’s the “want to”…really wanting to make changes and deciding that the results of those changes are worth the sacrifice. – Made to Crave

“Am I ready to make this change?”

In all honesty, I am not sure.  Oh, I want to be healthy.  But I am finding out how much I hide behind food.  Food is comfort to me.  It comes in all of it’s goodness and warmth and pretends to fill voids deep within my heart that were only meant to be filled by God Himself.

I have had to ask myself some hard questions this week:

1. Am I willing to crucify my cravings on the alter?
  2. Am I willing to invite God into this area of my life?
  3. Am I willing to sacrifice and work hard to fulfill my desire to be healthy?
  4. Am I willing to give permission to others to ask me the hard questions?
  5. Am I willing to change?

Getting healthy isn’t just about losing weight.  In reality, it’s probably the last thing on my list.  I want to be a healthy person all the way around — spiritually, physically and mentally. But I don’t think I’ve ever asked God to give me the desire to be healthy.  It’s only WITH GOD that I will be empowered to make the changes necessary to be the person I want to be.

I cannot do this in my own strength.

I was created to crave.  But I was created to Crave God.  Inside the soul of every person is a longing for the Living God.  When my craving for God goes unmet, I set myself up to allow other things, other counterfeits, to come in and try to fill me up.  However, they only leave me empty and yearning for more.

“Cravings.  Are they a curse or a blessing?  The answer to that depends on what we’re craving.  And what we’re craving will always depend on whatever we’re consuming — the object of our desire or God and His truth.”  – Made to Crave.

I am broken and hurting.

I had to look long and hard this week at the emotional baggage I carry, both past and present.  And said emotional baggage causes me to make unhealthy choices, as I strive to have my emotional needs met.  This journey will be one of renewal and introspection for me, as I allow God to come and fully make my heart alive to Him again.

It seems so easy, doesn’t it?  Then why is it so hard?

I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it.
Instead, I do what I hate.
  (Romans 7:15)

My flesh cries out to be filled.  My heart longs for God.  But these two things collide and most often, my flesh wins.  I like to give myself these excuses:

“I’m good in every other area”.
“I make so many sacrifices already.”
“I need treats as comfort int this season of life; I’ll deal with my issues later.
“I just can’t give this up.”

Sound familiar?

And then there’s the “guilt trip” I put on myself every time I cave and give in to satisfying my flesh.  And thus the vicious, downward spiral into more unhealthy eating and more guilt trips, with candy bars to boot, continues.

It’s not working too well though. This flesh is just plain tired, achy and grumpy.  Something has to change!

I’m going to have a deep, heart to heart talk with God this week and ask Him to give me the desire to make the changes.  It’s going to cost me.  But I think that I am worth it!  Until I have that desire, I am not sure I will be motivated to do anything.

How about you?  How are you doing?  Do you have the desire to make the changes you need to make to get healthy?  If not, let’s ask Him together.

*     *     *

If you wrote a post, will you link up below?  And be sure and visit Venessa to read her thoughts on Chapter 1.

Kerri Smith
    January 13, 2012 at 5:26 am

Bless you, my friend, on this journey and desire to be healthy and whole! I definitely need to purchase this book….I have been struggling again.

January 14, 2012 at 1:49 am

Kerri, I know how hard of a journey this is. It seems like it will take forever. But I know that with God, all things are possible!  Bless you my friend!

Nikki
    January 13, 2012 at 8:06 am

Thank you, Barbie, for challenging me. I began my healthy journey last year and made great strides. But I’m realizing I never fully placed this struggle at the Lord’s feet. I kept the control over it. I know I won’t fully conquer this until I give it to God fully. I think I’ve been afraid at how much He would want me to give up or do. . . . *sigh*
    Will be pondering and praying about this. thank you!

January 14, 2012 at 1:50 am

Nikki, I totally get that.  I think I am afraid what may be asked of me if I surrender this completely to Him. But there really is no other way.  May you find rest and peace as He leads you through your journey to be healthy.

Venessa
    January 13, 2012 at 8:27 am

I am so glad that we are in this together! You are so right when you say that it is just not about weight loss…so so so much more that that.

January 14, 2012 at 1:50 am

Thank you Venessa, for reaching out and joining me on this journey.

Alene Snodgrass
    January 13, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Yes, yes, yes, and  HUGE amen . . . change is hard! I’m really noticing in this year. Trying to stay focused but that sneaky ole flesh creeps up and gets me before I know it. I will conquer because I worship the Conqueror of all! Blessings friend.

January 14, 2012 at 1:51 am

AMEN my friend!

charis
    January 14, 2012 at 11:01 pm

my favorite quote you shared was : “and what we’re craving will always depend on whatever we’re consuming.”  wow, that is so applicable to all areas of life… we wonder why we don’t have a constant burning desire for God, but we are so full from everything else we consume.  good stuff to meditate on.

January 14, 2012 at 11:32 pm

That’s so true Charis.  I want Him to fill me!

Sherrey Meyer
    January 14, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Barbie, I started on January 1st challenging myself to make changes.  Over the past 9 months during intense pain and restrictions from exercise, I put back on 18 lbs. I had already lost. How?  By eating for comfort, solace, a hiding place and much more from my past.  Like you, I need to make that commitment and ask God to place that desire in me.  I’m going to dig out my Made to Crave book and start at the beginning and hopefully catch up with you all.  It helps reading what you’ve shared.  God bless you for that!

January 14, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Sherrey, it will be great to have you along on this journey!

Pamela
    January 14, 2012 at 11:35 pm

My word for 2012 is healthy.  It’s always amazes me that God guides me to posts I need to read.  I have this book but haven’t started it yet.  I will enjoy following you through the book.

January 19, 2012 at 12:32 am

Thank you, Pamela, for your support on this journey.