9 In Book study

Made to Crave – Week 2 {“I’ll Do it Later”}

Today we are sharing our thoughts on Chapter 2 of Made to Crave.  If you wrote a post, will you link up below so that we may encourage one another in our journey?

When it comes to diet and health, I am an “I’ll do it later” kind of person.

“And the cycle I’ve come to hate and feel powerless to stop continues.  Who can I talk to about this?  If I admit my struggle with food to my friends, they might try to hold me accountable the next time we go out.  And what if I’m not in the mood to be questioned about my nachos con queso with extra sour cream?  I’ll just tell them I’m starting on Monday, and they’ll be fine with it.”Made to Crave.

Sound familiar?  I will never gain any ground If I am always looking for tomorrow.  The bottom line is that I must not want it badly enough.  But I do.  Or at least I think I do.  It takes work, this dieting and getting healthy.  And can I be honest with you?  I began this journey last week and I am still telling myself “I’ll do it tomorrow”.  This week I am having to take a long, hard look at some of the reasons why I’ve been putting off getting healthy:

1. Sin.  I want to eat what a I want, when I want it.  I don’t want to give up the foods I love.
  2. Laziness.  It’s too hard to eat healthy.
  3. Procrastination.  There’s always tomorrow.
  4. Fear.  What if I lose the weight and gain it all back?

Food has become my friend.  It is not simply fuel for my body, but it has become a huge part of me.  Almost every meeting I attend revolves around food.  And if I am dieting at the time, all bets are off.  I have not the strength nor the determination to continue to eat my apple and light string cheese when everyone else is scarfing down pizza or burgers.  “I’ll give myself a free day and begin again tomorrow” But you see, I’ve been looking for tomorrow for so long now.  Will it ever come?

“Is it possible that I love and rely on food more than I love and rely on God?”  What?  How could I possibly love food more than God?  I give food free rain in my heart.  The freedom to bring comfort, to celebrate, to bring fulfillment.  Yet, I don’t invite God into this place in my heart, where the cravings are so deep.  You see, there is a void deep in my heart that yearns to be filled.  Not with food, nor with the praises of man, or by the love of others.  It longs to be filled by God.  I was made to crave Him!  But food has always been such a comfort to me.  And when I am upset or feeling unfulfilled, it comes and satisfies.  But I no sooner get filled up, then I find myself empty again.  This temporary fulfillment is not a substitute for the eternal fulfillment that God longs to bring.

Do you think God cares about food and our consumption of it?  I would say yes, He does.  God never intended for us to desire anything more than we desire Him.  The Israelites never reached the promised land because they wanted food more than they wanted God.

“They willfully put God to the test by demanding the food they craved.”  (Psalm 78:18).

I have to admit, this scripture hit me square in the face.  And this is what spoke to me the loudest this week.  My flesh cries out to be filled, and it accepts the temporary fulfillment of food.  Yet, I am left longing, left wanting, left craving.  God is the only One who will ever satisfy me.

How about you?  How are you doing in your journey to health and wholeness?  Do you rely on food more than you rely on God?  Let’s invite Him into this place together.  Today, my tomorrow has finally come.  I am ready.  Are you?

Be sure to visit Venessa’s blog to read her post and leave her some encouragement as well.

Charina
    January 20, 2012 at 3:53 am

Hi Barbie, blessings and strength for you on your journey to health and wholeness. I need to lose a few myself. In finding peace by trusting in His will and living life a day at a time (not worrying about tomorrow) spared me the stress and anxiety so no longer do I crave to satisfy myself with food….I crave more for Him. Blessings to you…

Mjones6
    January 20, 2012 at 6:30 am

I am in this same bible study right now.  I am actually leading it and I love it.  I read and did the questions at the end of the book with my friend Donna and then I bought the DVD and participants guide and we found some other women to do it with us.  I love it, but I am still struggling and I feel bad even admitting it.  I don’t really feel like I eat for emotional reasons at all, I just like food, I love the way it tastes and I enjoy cooking.  It has however become something that controls me and I have let it replaced things in my life God should have or it wouldn’t be an issue and it is.   I hope that by the end of this study that I will see the areas that I have let other things have instead of God.  I want to be all that He wants me to be, I want to crave Him with everything thing that I am.
    Praying for you my friend.
    Hugs
    Jill

Samantha Sivils
    January 20, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I understand all of what you’ve said so well.  Tomorrow has just never come along – until eleven days ago.  At that point God gave me the want to I’d waited years to experience.  Now I am genuinely excited that things really are different this time.  And the good part is, I don’t even feel like I’m “dieting” but rather than I am choosing the best for myself and setting a better example for my children.  Praying that God’s grace covers you as you walk this path with Him.

Caitlin
    January 20, 2012 at 7:06 pm

“I will never gain any ground If I am always looking for tomorrow.” Thank you for this great reminder, Barbie! I have been convicted of wasting precious life by always looking ahead instead of savoring the present. I want to live life fully alive – each and every moment 🙂

Ann
    January 21, 2012 at 7:25 am

Thanks for sharing some of your “reasons for putting off getting healthy.” Mine is that it just takes a lot of work, especially for women!! My hubby is on this journey with me. The first week I was so excited because I lost 3 pounds. Then I found out what hubby lost…9 pounds! I wanted to be happy for him, but I found myself thinking, “not fair!” I worked just as hard as he did! I know it’s not supposed to be a competition, but it’s difficult not to compare. I need to instead let it be a motivator for me to keep it up!! I’m gonna work at walking an extra mile each day and burn more calories!!

In His Lo♥e, Ann

Blue CottonMemory
    January 21, 2012 at 7:27 am

I started a journey to health last week – my issue is self-discipline. There is a history of a lack of self-discipline in my family history – not necessarily with food – and I need to break that history. In the process, my craving for food seems to be diminishing and my craving for God growing:) Probably because I cannot be self-disciplined on my own without His strength!

Chelsea Brown
    January 21, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Read this book and was very impacted and inspired by it.
    Thank you so much for the comment you left on my blog. It was perfect and divinely timed 🙂

charis
    January 27, 2012 at 10:32 pm

this was super vulnerable and i think a great honest blog.  i will start praying the Lord gives you the strength you need.  thanks for really sharing your heart and where you are.

January 27, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Thank you Charis. It’s so hard. I so want this, but I am so weak. Honestly, I just haven’t asked Him to help me. He’s waiting to, but I must ask Him. Today, I subscribed to the Fresh20, healthy organic menu planning. I hope it will help me to get on track. I am going to use the dinner menus to cook just for me this next week and see how it goes. Baby steps!