22 In Faith

What Do I Have To Give?

© Studio Barcelona - Fotolia.com

I‘ve been struggling for words lately.  My brain seems full of them, yet as soon as I begin to write I lose those words.  Fleeting thoughts as some would call them.  I can’t seem to grab onto them, to articulate them so as to write clearly.  I feel as if I am striving too much, trying hard to make it happen, rather than relying on Holy Spirit to inspire me.  And I’ve been so tired, often feeling like I am chasing my life, like a cat chases his tail.  Round and round in circles I go, yet never really accomplishing much.  By the time the day is done, I don’t feel like I have anything left to give.  There are so many things that I contend with in my day.  Sometimes my perspective gets skewed and this can affect my thoughts and leave me reaching for inspiration.  And although life happens, the Lord has a solution to every road block that I could possibly face in my day.

When I get up late in the morning and bark orders at my children to move them out the door quickly,

I can stop and ask Holy Spirit to come and bring peace.

When I arrive at work and I don’t feel as if I am accomplishing anything due to my scattered thoughts,

I can stop and ask Him for wisdom and revelation as to how best to structure my day.

When I get off work and am rushed to make dinner, help with homework, baths and showers, pick up toys, do laundry and squeeze in quality time with my family,

I can stop and ask for Him to come and fill me to overflowing with His joy.

When the house is finally quiet at night, and I come here to write, but the words don’t come,

I can stop and pray and say, “Come Holy Spirit, give me Your words”.

Some days I just don’t feel like I have much to give.  And then I realize I’ve forgotten to pull into the “self service” station and fill up on strength, peace, joy and love.  I never want to walk through life trying to accomplish anything in my own strength.  I don’t want to feel like I am striving to be a good wife or mother, or a good writer for that matter.  Some days, the words just aren’t going to come and that’s okay.

So when I asked Him, “Lord, what do I have to give”, do you know what I heard Him say?

“You don’t have to give me anything.  All I want is You.  I want to be with you.  I want to spend time with you.  I want to lavish my love on you.  I want to show you how to be a good wife and mother.  And I want to give you the inspired words to share with others.  But you have to come.  You have to stop. You have to lay aside those things that “keep you busy” and from my presence just long enough to tap into all that I have for you.  When your heart is filled with anxious thoughts, how could you possibly give back love, joy and peace to others?  Come to me.  Allow me to wash over you with the water of my word.  I long to bring you joy.  Cease from your striving and rest in me.  Don’t worry about doing.  Just simply be.”

What a beautiful reminder that everything I do must flow from a place of intimacy with Him.  I cannot accomplish anything good without Him.  So I am going to take some time to “be” and not worry so much about the writing.  If the words come, I will write.  If they don’t, I will wait on Him.  Someone asked me just the other night how I blog so regularly.  I really don’t know how I do it.  But I do know that I don’t want to write for the sake of writing.  I want my words to be full of life, hope and encouragement to those who stop by.

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  (Matthew 11:28)

How about you?  Are you feeling tired and worn out?  Will you take some time today to allow yourself to be filled up with His peace, joy, love and strength?  Life is so much more fun when we live it out of the overflow.

Have a beautiful week my friends!

Charina
    January 24, 2012 at 2:57 am

Yes, Barbie, that is all we have to do….to come to Him and not be anxious..

To let Him “Fill our cup” . I was just talking about this in my recent post… Blessings!

January 25, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Yes!  We need to be continually filled with Him.  Filled to the brim and overflowing!

Larri at Seams Inspired
    January 24, 2012 at 3:27 am

Yes. Yes. Yes. My worst days are the ones I rush through without spending time in the Word and with Him. Happy Tuesday, Barbie! ☺

January 25, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I know what you mean Larri.  It doesn’t take long to stop and ask for His presence to come!  Thanks for stopping by!

Linda
    January 24, 2012 at 5:45 am

We have found that our daily devotion times are very much needed.  If life crowds it out and we don’t take that time to be with the Lord…then things do not feel right, and we are running on empty!  We need those times to let the Lord love on us!…  The time to love Him back!  (:>)

Good post Barbie!
    May our Lord  “love on you” today my friend!

January 25, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Thank you so much Linda.  I think I run on empty more than I care to admit.  But He is so good to remind me that I need Him!

Anonymous
    January 24, 2012 at 5:59 am

Thanks for this word, Barbie. I have been needing it. Praying for you today, sweet friend.

January 25, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Thank you Kris!

Anonymous
    January 24, 2012 at 7:00 am

Barbie, I can relate with how you feel.  It’s interesting to me that for the past few months I’ve been so rushed and so task focused that I was even rushing through my morning time with God.  In doing so, I wasn’t being filled with His word.  I felt spiritually and creatively empty.  The past few days have been different though.  There’s this transformation that seems to be taking place with the heavy weight of unemployment being lifted from my shoulders.  I feel less stressed.  Like I can slow down and relax a bit.

I was a little concerned that I would pull away from God because life wasn’t in crisis mode anymore.  I’ve actually found myself drawn even closer to Him now.  I want to spend more time with Him, reading His word, studying it closely, listening for Him to inspire me in one direction or another in my writing, parenting, and other relationships.  There’s such a difference now that I’m approaching that time with Him as His time to talk, teach, and lead me rather than my time to show up crying and begging Him to fix my life.  I don’t know if that makes any sense, but I just see that without the cloud of crisis over my head, time with God is more about Him and that ultimately is a greater benefit to me, spiritually and otherwise.  You’re right though.  When we feel scattered, rushed, or creatively blocked we can stop and ask the Spirit to help us focus.  I’m pretty sure His answer in all those situations is to focus only on Him first.   I pray God is blessing your week, friend.

Hugs,
    ~Rosann

January 25, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I understand about pulling closer to God when in crisis mode.  And when that crisis is resolved, we sometimes wonder if we will have that same desire to be with Him. But I agree.  This season has brought me so much closer.  I never want to go backwards, only forward from here!

Katie
    January 24, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I needed this so much today.  I am definitely feeling tired and spent.  You’ve inspired me to put my stack of work aside so I can stop and rest in Him.  I need renewal today.  Thank you thank you thank you!

January 25, 2012 at 8:53 pm

So thankful God used my words to speak to your heart.  Praying for sweet rest in His presence.

Anonymous
    January 24, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Barbie, the words God spoke to your heart remind me of the new song Jenn Johnson of Bethel, “Come to Me.”    God just wants us; He just wants us to spend time with Him.  How beautiful and amazing is that?

Many blessings!

January 25, 2012 at 8:53 pm

And I love that song so much!

Kerri Smith
    January 24, 2012 at 8:45 pm

” Life is so much more fun when we live it out of the overflow.”  Such a wonderful way to live…yet it seem so tough some days to stop and ask for Him to lead before I start things on my own.
    I am striving to begin each day with Him…and to live life out of the overflow…thank you for these words.
    Bless you my friend!

January 25, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I am striving to be in His presence too my friend.  Keep trying.  We will get there.  And He will never give up on us!

Wanda
    January 25, 2012 at 7:19 am

Refreshing Barbie, I too find that I have very little to give we I have been neglectful in spending my time with the Master. I always enjoy reading your writing. It often reflects feelings I have but can’t quite put into words

January 25, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Thank you Wanda for your encouragement!

The Watered Soul
    January 25, 2012 at 7:20 am

Btw, Your new blog look is nice.

January 25, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Thank you so much!

Nikki
    January 26, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I don’t know how many times I’ve read this. Thank you for these words, Barbie. . .

January 26, 2012 at 10:30 pm

You’re most welcome my sweet friend! Be blessed!