50 In Faith

The ABC’s of Me & An Opportunity for You!

© Jim Barber - Fotolia.com

Every now and then I like to do a post that is sort of random that will allow my new readers a chance to learn a little bit more about me.  I saw this a while back on Lisa’s blog and Kim’s blog and thought it would be fun.

And if you make it to the end of the post, I explain a neat little opportunity that involves YOU!

Age:  45 – I am older than most of you, I know!

Bed size:  Queen.  Just the perfect size.  I don’t move around very much.  I hug the side while hubby hogs the rest!

Chore you dislike:  Laundry.  I can manage to get it into the washer.  After that, I lose my mind and forget all about it.  I often have to “rewash” clothing once or twice because it’s been neglected.  And don’t even remind me of all of the laundry baskets full of clean clothes that still need to be folded and put away.

Dogs:  Nope.

Essential start to your day:  Prayer and coffee!

Favorite color: Purple

Gold or silver: Gold

Height: 5’2″.  My older kids are both taller than me.

Instruments you play(ed): Sadly, none.  But since my kids are all self-taught on the guitar and piano, I guess there’s hope.

Job title: Administrative Assistant to my pastor.

Kids: 4.  My oldest daughter (20) will be married this June!  My oldest son is 17, another daughter who is 11, followed by youngest son, 8.

Live: California

Mom’s name: Barbara.  I was named after my mother.  She says it’s because they couldn’t think of anything else to call me.  Geesh!

Nicknames: Barbie.  I’ve gone by this name most of my life.

Overnight hospital stays:  Birth of children, Tonsillectomy.

Pet Peeves: People who talk very loudly on their cell phones in public places, especially banks; children who toss their dirty clothes on floors instead of bringing them to the laundry room; those who cannot figure out how to put a new roll of toilet paper on the empty toilet paper thingy.

Quote from a movie:  Well, I can’t think of anything.  Perhaps that IS a movie quote!

Righty or Lefty: Righty

Siblings: 1 older sister, 2 older brothers and 1 younger brother.

Time you wake up: 6:30a

Underwear:  Why do I feel awkward now?  Of course!

Vegetables you don’t like: Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts and peas!

What makes you run late:  Although I’d like to blame it on the kids, I am the one responsible.  I need to get up earlier, take care of me before the kids get up, and then maybe things will run smoothly.

X-Rays you’ve had:  Leg, skull, chest and well, you know that one that I get every year that hurts like crazy!

Yummy food you make: Chicken Enchilades, Soft turkey tacos, Beef Stroganoff, anything in a crock pot.

Zoo animal favorite: Panda.

Hooray!  You made it to the end.  Did you learn anything new?

And now for an announcement.

A new focus on my blog is to share about “healthy living”.  As you know, I am on a journey of losing weight.  One thing that will help me to achieve this goal is to eat healthier.  By healthy, I mean foods low in fat, low sugar, whole and organic where possible.  I would love to post a “weekly menu” on my blog, but it’s taking me a lot of time to gather recipes, try them, grocery shop, etc.  This is where I could use your help!

Do you have a healthy recipe that you would love to share with my readers?  It can be a main dish, side dish or even a dessert.  As long as it fits into the “healthy” category and will help me to achieve my goal of losing weight and menu planning.

I would love to feature you as a guest writer as you unveil your lovely eats for us to try and share about your own journey of healthy living.

If you are interested, please leave me a comment letting me know and I will get in touch with you with more information.  Please make sure I have your email address!

Stephanie Hanes
    February 7, 2012 at 4:29 am

I’d love to share this journey with you.  I have LOTS of recipes to share and I’d love to encourage you and your readers with my journey too. : )

February 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Wonderful Stephanie! I will be in touch soon with more specifics.  But I am hoping to have those posts up in the month of March!

Cyndi Spivey
    February 7, 2012 at 5:00 am

I have lots of healthy recipes, I just don’t always make them! Ha! I’m on this journey with you Barbie. I’m looking for a healthier lifestyle. If you need me to whip one up I’ll do it.
    I loved reading more about you, it was fun!
    Have a wonderful day friend,
    Cyndi

February 11, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I would love anything you would have to share.  It doesn’t have to be a recipe.  It could be tips and tricks!  I will touch base with you soon, once I finish gathering interest.

Veronica
    February 7, 2012 at 5:27 am

I would LOVE to share a healthy recipe with you and your readers 🙂 We are on our own journey to eating healthier also and it started with learning my hubby is gluten intolerant. Since GF items can be super spendy – I have been working on making recipes with naturally GF ingredients – lots of fruit and veggies for us!

February 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Sounds wonderful.  I’ll touch base soon with more information.

Linda
    February 7, 2012 at 7:16 am

Random posts are fun!  I get up between 5 and 7…and go to bed by 10.

We don’t have any dogs or pets.  I like to eat healthy…and I mostly do…but I have trouble losing weight.  At age 61 I am not as active as I should be I guess.  I do try to walk when I can…but I enjoy blogging and facebook too much, and so I sit a lot too.

I don’t use a lot of recipes.  I like to cook, but I do my own thing a lot.

I used to be late a lot…but not so much these days…cuz I am not as busy as I once was.

My favorite color is purple too Barbie…but I like white gold, and silver these days.

I don’t like brussel sprouts either!  Yuck!  But peas and cauliflower are good girl!

I had an older brother who was 13 years older than me, but he is gone now…and so is my sister who was 8 years older than me.  But I do have a younger brother who is almost 3 yrs. younger than me.  He just had a quadruple by-pass, and is recovering from that.  This means I am now the oldest one in the family.

We have a kingsize bed and I love it.  Temperpedic!  My husband is in it right now…cuz he stayed up until 3AM last night!  Crazy man!  We are pretty much opposites with our schedules and everything else really!  But he is a wonderful hubby!  So we manage!  tee hee.

Hope your daughter will have a wonderful wedding.  With three girls I have been there done that!  So, don’t stress and just enjoy it all!  (:>)

Love, Linda

February 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Thanks for sharing a little bit more about you in the comments!

Nikki
    February 7, 2012 at 8:39 am

Confession:  I had a random “about me” scheduled to post today. And I got up in the middle of the night and cancelled it because I thought–who wants to know all this?!? And then I read your post this morning and felt completely silly. Because I loved it! 🙂
    I’ve been working on getting some recipes ready to post on my facebook wall. (cause that format’s easier than an actual post) Sounds like you have some wise women willing to share–anxious to read your guest posts!

February 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I’m proud of you for sharing your confession! I would love anything you could share in the area of health. I will be scheduling in March so just let me know!

Rosann
    February 7, 2012 at 8:49 am

It’s so nice to get to know you better Barbie.  I love that you and I are the same when it comes to laundry.  I actually spent a good chunk of my day yesterday and the day before trying to get caught up on all of it.  I don’t know why…it’s a never ending battle.  Lol!  But I did feel somewhat accomplished and my family seems to enjoy having clean, folded clothes in their dresser drawers instead of having to dig through the laundry basket of clothes I’ve yet to put away.

I do have some healthy recipes but they aren’t mine per se.   Just recipes I discovered when my husband and I were on our weight loss journey shortly after his layoff.  He lost 80+ pounds and I lost almost 30 pounds (I think…I can’t remember now) of baby weight.  Most of our success realistically came from using a personal trainer for about six months straight.  He held us accountable to our workouts and our food choices so it was a huge help.  And we watched a lot of The Biggest Loser which was motivating too.  Anyway, my recipes come from those cookbooks so I’m not sure I’d offer much of anything original in a blog post, but would be happy to share some tips we picked up along our journey.  Just let me know.  🙂

Blessings,
    ~Rosann

February 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I hope to tackle my laundry mound later today!  And yes, I would love you to share.  I am gathering responses now and hope to have a schedule for the month of March for guest posts!  Thank you!

Anonymous
    February 7, 2012 at 9:56 am

What a fun read!  I feel like I know you a little better.  Congrats on your new healthy focus!  I recently tried a REAL SIMPLE magazine /Feb 2012 issue for a crockpot chicken…if you don’t add any of the cream at the end, then it would be very healthy.   While I was looking for that recipe, I found another one http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/chicken-tikka-masala-recipe-00100000072578/index.html that looks healthy.   We try to snack on fruit so I have apples, pears, clementines around the house and baked chips…. You can do it, Barbie!

February 7, 2012 at 11:44 am

I love anything in a crock pot. Would you like to guest post on my blog and share you recipe and/or tips? They do not have to be your own recipe, as long as we link back to where it came from. Let me know. Would love to have you share!

February 7, 2012 at 11:44 am

Anonymous
        February 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Sure, I would be honored, if I could use a Real Simple recipe…I have never done a food post…Thanks, Barbie 🙂

February 11, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Wonderful. I am hoping to do my recipes during the month of March. I will be in touch soon!

Kerri Smith
    February 7, 2012 at 10:12 am

Loved getting to know you more and yet again, so many similarities….might have to “borrow” this for some random post!!
    As you know, I am also on this getting healthy journey and would love to share…I have an amazing soup recipe…which I did post on my blog back last year…but it is my favorite “go to” and is full of healthy veggies and tastes phenomenal!!

February 7, 2012 at 11:41 am

Sounds wonderful. I love soup not don’t really have any recipes, other than the infamous Taco Soup! I will be touching base with you soon about the next step!

February 7, 2012 at 11:41 am

Stephani
    February 7, 2012 at 10:34 am

I loved learning more about you Barbie.  I think I would like to do this post on my blog.  Maybe this week.  Anyway, I don’t think I’ll be much help in the healthy recipe category.  My approach is that I eat little to no sugar and limit starchy carbs.  Beyond that I try to take the approach of eating only when I’m physically hungry and stopping before I feel full.  With this approach I pretty much eat anything I want except sugar, and then I limit the portions or amounts.  Everything in moderation as they say. Am I perfect at this?  No!  It’s hard because I was very thin my whole life and very active, then my thirties hit and something changed! My metabolism maybe?!  Now I’m 45 like you and I just can’t eat as much I used to or it will pack on!  I will walk with you through this journey, making my own needed adjustments in the wellness area.  My biggest need right now is to get moving!! Hubby and I keep saying we are going to start riding our bikes again.  Have we? No.  Anyway, I’ll be checking in to see what good tips and advise you come up with.  Take care.

February 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I would love to read your random “about me” post!  And, I think you would definately have something to share on the issue of health.  Doesn’t have to be a recipe.  Anything you’ve learned that would help.  If you want to share, just let me know.  I am hoping to put a schedule together for the month of March!

Christina Berry
    February 7, 2012 at 2:35 pm

You aren’t older than ME, Barbie!  🙂

LOVE this post! Thanks for sharing so much great information about yourself!

February 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Thanks my friend!

Charina
    February 7, 2012 at 3:47 pm

“those who cannot figure out how to put a new roll of toilet paper on the empty toilet paper thingy.”…..this

“children who toss their dirty clothes on floors instead of bringing them to the laundry room.” and this (though mine leave hers on top of the bed 🙂

February 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm

So thankful I am not alone!

Debbie
    February 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I loved learning more about you Barbie!  But you’re still not older than me; lol.  I’m with you on the prayer and coffee in the morning.  I’ve been eating lots of Lean Cuisines.

February 11, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I just can’t get myself to buy the frozen food. Even the healthy ones have too much sodium for me. It’s so sad. I have to cook everything from scratch and it’s so hard.

Anonymous
    February 7, 2012 at 5:23 pm

That was fun, Barbie,  I enjoyed learning more about you.  🙂

February 11, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Thank you my friend!

Lois Christensen
    February 7, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I’d love to share some recipes with you and your readers.  I can find some that are yummy and good for you as well!

February 11, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Wonderful! I will be getting in touch with you soon. I am hoping to do those posts in the month of March!

Kandi Slocum
    February 8, 2012 at 7:44 am

I would love to share recipes with you. My daughter and I are gluten intolerant and as someone already mentioned those foods are naturally healthy. I make a lot of things from scratch and we do not eat out much. A lot of my recipes are not fancy but quick healthy meals one can fix while on a tight budget! I have a blog that I post my recipes on a lot and I share a weekly meal plan as well.

February 8, 2012 at 8:22 am

Kandi, that would be wonderful. What is your blog link?

February 11, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Gluten Free is something that I am really intrigued by. I am hoping to plan to share during the month of March. I am still gathering interest. But please look for an email from me soon! Do I have your email address?

Kandi Slocum
        February 12, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Sorry I have been away from my computer 🙂 Gluten Free is really an interesting topic. My blog is http://glutenfreeforjen.blogspot.com/  I have some informational pieces on there and recipes and of course ramblings about my kids and some reflection stuff. I believe you do have my email (I signed up for your newsletter).

Wanda
    February 8, 2012 at 4:00 pm

It was good to learn more about you Barbie. Nice to find someone that I’m actually taller than even if it’s only by 2-3 inches.

February 11, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Ha ha! I’ve only come across a few people in my life that I am taller than! Have a beautiful weekend!

Genny Heikka
    February 8, 2012 at 4:35 pm

So fun to learn more about you, Barbie! *hugs*

February 11, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Thanks for stopping by Genny!

Keenynn
    February 8, 2012 at 7:42 pm

thx for sharing!!!!   I enjoyed learning about you!!!!

February 11, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Thank you friend!

Jennifer Camp
    February 8, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Oh, I  loved your sharing the fun info. about you, Barbie!  So sweet!  Hope you are well, dear friend.

February 11, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Yes, I was having one of those, “I need to let me hair down” days! Thank you friend.

Kelli
    February 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Oh, I share your dislike for laundry! I just wrote a post on it the other day… I am trying to change my perspective! 😉

I wish I had healthy recipes for you, for me! I was just thinking today how I want to start being more intentional in feeding my family, I just struggle with where and how to start. I have to be creative because I am very picky and so is 2 of my children. Looking forward to your posts on eating healthier!!

JOYfully in Him,
    Kelli

February 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I’ll have to stop by and read your post about laundry. And if you even have a “healthy tip” to share, I would totally love that. Give it some thought (and prayer) and let me know!

charis
    February 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm

barbie, i love eating healthy and yummy things (i totally believe the two can go hand in hand!)  i would love to help you out.  i have tons of really yummy ideas and my kids eat them all.  let me know if you still need some and even if you don’t need a post, i could email you a few or post them on my blog (a couple people have already asked, i just haven’t done it yet).

February 11, 2012 at 5:53 pm

That would be wonderful! I will touch base with you in a week or so. I am still getting responses and hope to have the posts scheduled in March.

StopnSmellChocolates
    February 19, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Sorry I didn’t have a chance to come by and comment on this! And I think I saw you mention on FB – can’t bring up your blog in Chrome.  🙁 I’m using Firefox just to stop by, but it doesn’t work well for me anymore. Love hearing all the fun random stuff! You’re not older than me by much! And my son is 12 and already taller than me. I have the same problem with the laundry – ugh!!  Also, keep up the good work on your journey to health – you CAN do it with God’s help! Don’t worry about being perfect – know that we will all fall short often, but we shouldn’t let that get us down.  Just keep swimming!  🙂  Hope you’re having a great weekend Barbie!

February 19, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Lisa, I am sorry to hear that. I miss you popping in and every now and then. Thank you for checking in with me and encouraging me today!