25 In Faith

1…2…3…Jump!

As a little girl, I remember long, hot summer days spent in our pool.  I would be there from sun up to sun down, or so it seemed. My parents would often say I wasn’t their daughter, because by the end of the summer my skin had darkened at least three shades.  But I loved the water.  And I felt safe within the confines of that large round pool.  Every area was the same depth.  I knew that I wouldn’t drown.  There were no surprises around the corner.

Some of my friends in the neighborhood had much larger, built in pools, with slides and diving boards.  When they would invite me over for a swim, I often would just sit on the edge of the deep end, resting my feet in the water.  I didn’t mind the slide much.  Although when I did manage to use it, I secretly hoped that I would surface again.

But there was something intimidating about the diving board.  I remember I would stand on the edge for what seemed like forever, as my friends impatiently beckoned me to jump.  “1..2..3.. JUMP!”  I would hang my toes off the edge of the board, bend my knees and ready myself.  I was sure this time I was ready to take the plunge.  But hidden fear would often hold me back as I gave up the thrill of jumping for sliding once again.

What was it about jumping that I feared?  I was worried about my form.  If I was going to jump, I wanted to do it gracefully.  I didn’t want to make a huge splash.  I wanted to fall effortlessly, unnoticed.  And I wanted to always make sure the water would catch me.  Sounds strange.  I was standing over the water.  Why wouldn’t I land there?  Perhaps I was afraid I would fall too hard and belly flop.  Or perhaps I was afraid that I would fall too deep and hit bottom.

Or was it that I was just afraid of falling?

Life is sort of like jumping.  Sometimes God will ask us to jump, even though the landing is not in plain site.  We are often called to take steps of faith without knowing exactly where we are going.  But when we trust that the Father holds our hand, from the moment we jump, and that He is there to catch us if we fall, it makes jumping all the more exciting.

I can hear my Heavenly Father right now, “Are you ready?  1..2..3..JUMP!  Come on, you can do it.  I won’t let you fall.”

He will not let your foot slip–he who watches over you will not slumber;  (Psalm 121:3)

I don’t mind jumping so much these days.  For I know that my Heavenly Father goes with me and will catch me.

Patty
    March 27, 2012 at 10:20 am

Thank you for the much needed reminder that He indeed catches us when we fall….and that he carries us along the way.

March 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Thank you Patty!  I appreciate your visit.

Brooke Cooney
    March 27, 2012 at 10:23 am

Barbie,
     I was afraid to jump and go down the sliding board many times in my childhood as well. Our Father loves it when we approach him as a child. I can hear Him lovingly say, “It is time child. 1,2,3 Jump!” Thanks for bringing those words to me today.
    Brooke

March 27, 2012 at 10:25 pm

You’re welcome Brooke!  Thanks for visiting with me today.

Alecia
    March 27, 2012 at 10:44 am

Like you I always wanted to jump gracefully into the pool 🙂 No big splashes from me.  Jumping in with God takes a lot of courage and prayer, I’m glad you are able to take the plunge with Him and not be afraid.
    I’m glad He’s there to catch me too!

March 27, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Amen!  He will always catch us.  Thanks for visiting today.

Anonymous
    March 27, 2012 at 11:13 am

Oh Barbie, it seems like everything He has ever had me do that was Kingdom ordained has been like a jump into the unknown.  God help us JUMP by faith.   Love you!

March 27, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Amen!  He is always right there, nudging us along.  Blessings to you my friend.

Nikki
    March 27, 2012 at 12:03 pm

What a lesson in trust! the jumping… I’d like to say it comes easy now. easier than it did when I was young jumping into my dad’s arms at the pool….I’m striving…
    beautiful write-it, girl post, friend!

March 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Thank you my sweet friend!  It’s never really that easy for me.  I only realize it was effortless after I jump.  It’s getting to the point of taking off that’s hard.

charis
    March 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm

barbie – i love this.  it is so encouraging.  i also get scared about the initial jump in life, and usually if i will commit and just do it God gives me the grace to make it through whatever i have to jump into.  very encouraging for today.

March 27, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Oh yes, He does give courage.  He says, “do not fear”, but I hold back.  But then I jump and He says, “see, that wasn’t so hard”.  I try to reflect on what He’s already brought me through to make it easier to jump the next time.  I pray you are feeling better today!

Kerri Smith
    March 27, 2012 at 12:41 pm

A leap of faith…why is it so hard when we know that if He calls us to it…He will see us through it? Thank you, Barbie…this was absolutely beautiful!!

March 27, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Oh yes, He always equips us to take the plunge, doesn’t He?  Oh how I love Him!  Praying you are having a beautiful week.

Lea
    March 27, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Great post Barbie! So, so true and a great reminder of the safety net He always provides for us. Blessings to you!

March 27, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Thanks for stopping by Lea!

Sharon O
    March 27, 2012 at 9:56 pm

OH just looking at that picture brings anxiety, I am not a water fan, tried to swim for years when I was young and couldn’t get it. (unless I could touch my feet to the bottom) I think even if God says to me ‘JUMP’ I am not so sure I could go into the deep water without him holding my hand.

March 27, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Sharon, the beautiful thing is He always holds our hands!  Thank you so much for visiting with me today!

Jamie @ Six Bricks High
    March 28, 2012 at 7:33 am

Love this!  Such a needed reminder that He is there with open arms, ready to hold us up when we jump.  You boosted my faith today, friend 🙂

March 30, 2012 at 12:00 am

Thank you Jamie!  You encourage me!

Mandy
    March 28, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Love this! And I’m thankful that the jumping gets easier… I’m finding all these lessons again as I help my kids ‘jump’ now and as I still have my toes to the edge in certain areas of life. But I totally would rather jump into the unknown in obedience than cling to the edge in disobedience. Thanks for the push today~ I have a big jump looming!

March 30, 2012 at 12:00 am

Oh I love that, about not wanting to cling to the edge in disobedience.  Always best to jump right into His arms!

Alene Snodgrass
    March 28, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Love this girl! Needed the precious reminder today as I’m jumping. So thankful to catch me whether it’s a high jump or a fall.

March 30, 2012 at 12:01 am

Thank you Alene!

Stacey29lincoln
    March 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Oh that dreaded diving board!  We had a really tall one at our city pool and walking out to the end was like a death march!  My daddy would wait for me in the water and give me the courage to go for it!
    What a great word picture friend!  My heavenly Father does the same thing!