14 In Faith

At The Edge Of The Cliff

© AZP Worldwide – Fotolia.com

She stood at the edge of the cliff.  With the sun beating down on her face, she could feel the cool breeze as it brushed against her checks.  The smell of evergreen filled her senses as she took a deep breath.  She stared ahead of her, eyes fixed on the other side.  Her heart filled with passion, longing and desire.  Yet she stood, at what seemed like the edge of all things.

How did she arrive at this place?  She tried to stay the course, to stay on the right path throughout her journey.  Perhaps a wrong turn.  Did she ignore the signs along the way?  Was this rocky cliff, high above level ground, to be where she met Him?  But as she stood looking out as far as her eyes could see, she did not waiver.  Yes, she had come to the edge.  But something inside her told her to wait.  To not move.  And so she stood, with her feet firmly planted.  She postured her heart to not be overcome with disappointment.  She would not allow her ear to entertain the thought that she had veered off course or taken a wrong turn.

“Meet me at the edge of the cliff”.

If she had her wings, surely she would take flight, soaring high above the mountaintops.  She would journey to the other side.  Perhaps He was there, on the other side, awaiting her arrival.  Should she turn?  Should she run to the other side to meet Him?  But the still, small voice inside of her spoke words of comfort and hope as she stood, staring out at the vast expanse before her.

“Wait”.

She could feel anxiety rising up within her.  Whispers of doubt threatened to overcome her steady heart.  It took all of her strength to push down these feelings.  What if He doesn’t come for me?  But she stood firm, obeying the voice inside her heart.

“Be still and know….”

Morning came and went and with the setting of the sun, the dark and bitter cold threatened to cause her to run and hide, to take shelter from the storm.  She was chilled to the bone.  Yet, she did not move.  Standing firm on The Rock, her feeble knees gained strength as the voice spoke words of hope to her heart.

“Do not fear….”

She closed her eyes, drifting off to sleep.  In a dream now, she was carried, with wings as an Eagle, to the other side.  To the place where He was waiting.  He stood before her, with arms open wide to receive her.  Her heart was filled with a peace and joy she had never known before.

“Wait, and you will be strengthened.”

As the sun arose, she could once again feel the warmth on her skin.  She was awake now.  It was only a dream, yet the reality of it overwhelmed her.  She took another deep breath, as hope replaced her anxious thoughts.  She exhaled every thought that threatened to move her prematurely.

And then she heard Him.  He called to her.  It was but a whisper, yet it echoed from across the valley, from the other side.  She felt as if her knees would buckle from underneath her.  She anticipated this moment as long as she could remember.  And now, it was finally here. Yet she felt paralyzed and gripped with fear.  “What if I am not what He had hoped for?  What if I fail? What if I make a mistake?”.

The still small voice spoke to her, this time with an authority she had never heard.

Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.  (Isaiah 41:10)

It was all her heart needed to take the leap of faith off the cliff.  Blinded by the sun she jumped.  And in that moment she felt a peace she had not known before.  For as her foot left the safety of the cliff, He came in the wind and carried her to the other side.

She is fearless now.  Safe in the shelter of His wings.

I am linking up with Bonnie today as we discuss fearless.  Will you join me there?

Kerri Smith
    March 15, 2012 at 10:32 am

A beautiful description of a journey traveled in faith. Oh how I desire to journey fearlessly, in complete trust…not wavering! To be still and just know….

March 15, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Thanks my friend!

Hispenonmyheart
    March 18, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Wow. That was absolutely beautiful. That describes exactly what my heart feels. You are so talented!

March 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Thank you for the lovely comment.  I give all glory to God!

Annie Downs
    April 4, 2012 at 9:56 am

Absolutely beautiful.

April 4, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Thank you Annie for stopping by and reading my humble blog!  I really appreciate you!

Southern Gal
    April 4, 2012 at 11:20 am

Standing on the promises and leaning on His everlasting arms.  Amen.
    The last part reminds me of Aslan breathing on Eustace and Jill carrying them on the wind to Narnia.

April 4, 2012 at 11:50 pm

That’s an amazing perspective!  Thanks for visiting.

Lisa @ {4}SLP
    March 2, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Ahhh, yes… jump! Because sometimes you can’t see the view, the dream, until you do jump. Sometimes the dream is not revealed until you jump. And even if the dream is still not quite clear, He is always so good to guide us in the wind as we float in the shelter of His wings. My friend I think this is a great dream, this one where you are a writer who write His essence… maybe? Thanks for sharing this with me, I loved it! And you wrote it almost one year ago today, how cool is that as I set out on my dream.
    Lisa @ {4}SLP recently posted..turning to DO business

March 2, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Thank you my friend! You encourage my heart, daily! 🙂

Chris Malkemes
    January 19, 2014 at 11:16 am

Barbie, I read this in awe. It takes a true heart to know The Heart. He has truly touched you with knowledge of His heart and mind. When you’ve journeyed with the one who held your tears, opened your mind to the truth and trembled with you in joy…then it shows.
    Chris Malkemes recently posted..My dream – I Live Among The Cliff Dwellers

January 19, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Thank you so much Chris. This has got to be one of my most favorite posts I’ve written so far. Blessings!

Dawn St Amand Paoletta
    February 15, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Barbie,

I am lifting you in prayer, right now. Dear Lord, you have created Barbie, simply for your glory. May she rest in knowing that you will bring her refreshment, renewal and peace as she relies on you. Let her not stray from your good and perfect will. Let her not bedistracted by many good things, but instead give her your wisdom and discernment in identifying those specific works you have called her to in Ephesians 2:8-10. Lord, you have gifted her, now empower her to know you, the One True Living God, above all else. For in you her soul will be satisfied and find the rest it needs to move forward. Let her yes, be yes, and her no be no, and give her grace to choose without doublemindedness. Let her trust in your goodness and love. Thank you for this precious sister, Lord. I pray you answwr this prayer according to your goodness, mercy and faithfulness, even now. In Jesus name, Amen.

I love you, sweet friend. May you be carried on those wings of eagles even tonight as you sleep to beautiful,restful shores, awakening to new mercies in the morning, and freedom, clarity and restored hope. Amen, Amen, Amen. In His Grace, Dawn
    Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..Whispers of Hope Online Gathering – Week 2

Barbara
    April 2, 2015 at 9:40 am

Oh, Barbie! You had me entranced! You had me at “She stood at the edge of the cliff…”! From the very beginning I waited for her to be welcomed into the arms of the one waiting for her “on the other side”…the over side of the storm; the other side of the illness; the other side of our lives!!

Thank you so much for sharing your journey, your heart and your beautiful words!!
    Barbara recently posted..BLESSED