Five Minute Friday: Empty

On Fridays, we write for just 5 minutes.  Just a few moments of words flowing freely from my heart, without worrying about whether it’s just right or not.  I love this writing exercise.  It pulls from the deeper places.

Today’s Prompt:  Empty

© granitepeaker -

There is a cry in my heart to be filled.   A desperate longing for more.  And yet the more I cry out to be filled, the more I am realizing that in order to take in more, I must first empty myself.

More of You, and less of me, Oh Lord!

This desire to be completely satisfied was put inside of me by the God of the universe as He created me.  He knew all along that I would be His.  For He marked me before the foundations of the world.  This longing, this aching that threatens to overwhelm me, to paralyze me, was put inside me by Him.

I was made to be empty first.  So that I could be filled with more of Him and all that He has to offer to me.

More love.

More peace.

More joy.

More acceptance.

More strength.

More healing.

I must get out of the way.  I must allow Him to come, to pull me up from the roots that hold so tightly to the things of this world, so that He can fill me with His goodness.

My heart cries to be filled.

Oh Lord, come and empty me first, that I might be filled to overflowing with You!

Would you like to play along?  Here’s how:

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Please visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments.

1. Yes, to be empty, so that His power and glory can be manifest in us! Blessings to you Barbie!

2. Anonymous says:

Wonderful,  Barbie. Yes, praying that He would pull me up by my roots and make me more like Him, and less like me. Amen, my sweet friend!

3. Nikki says:

Yes, friend. striving to get out of the way of my own self to let Him take over. Empty me, God…so You can fill me back up again…
    thank you!

4. Yes! “the more I am realizing that in order to take in more, I must first empty myself.” I’m learning this (slowly), as well. Great five minute post, Barbie!

5. ” … in order to take in more, I must first empty myself. ” It’s a paradox, isn’t it? To receive the fullness of Christ, we must be poured out ~ emptied. It took me so long to take my emptiness to the empty tomb. I am so grateful for the fullness we have in Him alone. Beautiful words today, Barbie. Just beautiful.

6. Wanda says:

Yes, we must make room for more of Him.

7. Carrie says:

Oh my…I didn’t think of it this way.  I must be emptied in order to be filled.  Thank you, I needed this today.

8. Anonymous says:

Amen to that root pulling: I know I need it…and praying that it doesn’t hurt too much…actually He already has started…really like how you expressed it…Blessings to you, Barbie 🙂

9. Paula Ebert says:

Beautiful! John 3:30 is my life verse. More of Him. Less of me. Amen! Have a wonderful weekend!

10. Kerri Smith says:

Amen! Amen! To be emptied so He can fill me!
    Blessings, my friend!

11. Love it, love it, love it!  I MUST get out of the way so HE can fill.
    Beautiful, my friend!

12. Barbie, I liked your words “I must get out of the way.”  Oh, how often I get in His way . . . these words will linger in my memory for a long while.  I’m going to practice getting out of the way!

13. Barbie says:

Thank you for stopping by Wanda!

14. Barbie says:

You’re welcome.  Thank you for visiting my blog today.

15. Anonymous says:

Thanks so much for this reminder to look at and clear out the mess cluttering up my soul. He longs to fill us, but as you say it’s necessary to be empty first!

Thanks too for popping in on my five minutes this week. Lovely to have you!

16. I am so inspired, stirred, ignited by your contagious passion for your God… I love this post as a prayer for the very depths of your heart… It is my cry, also… Love this 🙂