26 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Five Minute Friday: Loud

Today I am linking up with Lisa Jo over at The Gypsy Mama as we create words without worrying about perfection.  We are given a prompt and then we write for just 5 minutes without worrying about whether it’s just right.  No back tracking, no editing.  Just words freely flowing from my heart.

Today’s Prompt:  Loud

Ready…Set…Go!

The older I get, the more of an aversion I have to loud noises.  My children area loud and even though that’s what children do when they play is make loud noises, I find myself telling them to quiet down all too often.  Another example is when the family is gathered for a TV show or movie, every few minutes I ask them to turn the volume down.  Can you relate?  And forget the surround sound.  I might as well get up and go off into the next room.

This is not my son. But you get the picture.

I suppose life is loud.  Cars driving, horns honking, children playing, right now my keypad is pretty loud.  But I am thankful that I have ears to hear all of the variations of noises that are created on a day to day basis.  Some may be too loud for my taste, like when my son screams from the top of the stair case.  Oh it sends chills down my spine. But I am thankful for him and for his voice.  Too loud or not, the noises that my children make and those that are made as we build memories as a family, I will learn to embrace them.

How about you?  Do you have an aversion to loud noises?

Stop.

Would you like to play along with us? Here’s how:

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Meet & encourage someone who linked up before you.

Tammy
    March 23, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Enjoyed reading your writing today! It’s definitely loud at my house. 🙂

March 23, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Thanks for stopping by today Tammy!

Kerri Smith
    March 23, 2012 at 12:45 pm

how do such little people make such loud noises?? but, like you, I am glad to have them and their voices regardless of how loud they may get. have a wonderful weekend making loud memories!!

March 23, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Thank you Kerri!  You too!

Anonymous
    March 23, 2012 at 5:46 pm

like how you were honest about what you didn’t like but at the same time you were able to see the blessing in your son and family…Happy Friday, Barbie 🙂

March 23, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Thanks friend.  I think it must be a result of menopause! 🙂

charis
    March 23, 2012 at 5:56 pm

you know, i think i have always had sensitive ears because i am not that old and have had a hard time with loud noises for a long time!  that said, i seem to be able to tune out constant kid noise as long as it is a steady hum of noise.

March 23, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Oh I wish I could tune it all out.  It didn’t use to be like this.  I would say in the last 5 years or so.  Must be “the change”.

Julie Yaryan
    March 23, 2012 at 6:10 pm

i think i have sensitive ears too, but i don’t like the quiet…it’s intimidating, but i know i need it sometimes. it’s always loud at my house with my 2 year old and 5 month old! great post! enjoyed reading it!

March 23, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Thanks for stopping by Julie!

Jenilee Goodwin
    March 23, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I do not like loud. In fact, I love the quiet… no tv or music or busyness… just quiet. But, I DO love the loud laughs, silly antics and sweet voices of my girls. that does build memories and remind me of the wonderful life God has blessed me with!

March 23, 2012 at 9:00 pm

So true Jenilee!

Nikki
    March 23, 2012 at 6:39 pm

oh, the yelling at the steps gets me every time…I’m working on it.
    love your honest, raw posts, Barbie. makes me feel like we’re chatting at the kitchen table 😉

March 23, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Thank you friend!

Mandy
    March 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Funny~ our family is exactly the opposite… we tend to *all* be a little loud. I guess being married to a guitar player, I didn’t have a choice. And our son is quite the drummer… yeah, we were the parents who actually purchased a drum set for our own child! =) Hope you have a great weekend!

March 23, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Mandy, that’s too funny!  My husband, oldest son, and my two daughters all play guitar.  And my youngest son is asking for a drum set!  Oh boy, I suppose ear plugs were created for a reason.

Sherrey Meyer
    March 23, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Barbie, no kids here any more — all grown.  The loud one is my husband — the stereo goes full bore when he’s in the house, the car, wherever!  And yes, as I get older, it’s too loud.  🙂  I do get it.  Wanted so much to be a part of Five Minute Friday today, but we’ve been traveling for family again and I’m behinder than behind at home, on my blog, etc.  Asking God to give me the strength to get caught up in the next few days.

March 23, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Praying for strength for you my friend!

Jen@A Drop in the Bucket
    March 24, 2012 at 4:15 am

I do have an aversion to some loud noises (especially the repetitive ones like smoke alarms with old batteries, house alarms, car alarms) but those are the ones that people need for warnings, so I am thankful for them.

carissa
    March 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm

since my honey has hearing loss and wears hearing aids, it reminds me what a gift hearing is. it’s amazing, how loud everything was when kelly 1st put his aids on. : )

Jan Cox
    March 24, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Dropping by from Gypsy Mama. Quite a wait this weekend to get up our links. Yes I have trouble with loud noises but as I age I can’t hear as much.. lol:) I enjoyed your post – children need time to express and be loud, but they also need to know when to be quiet. A good balance works.
    Blessings,
    Jan

colleen @ the gift of mondays
    March 24, 2012 at 6:53 pm

i did the five minute fridays for the first time and have found your blog because of it! i struggle with loud noises too, although funny enough, my post is exactly that…me being loud! i love your bio description and though i’m not a coffee drinker, i’ll take the hug and chocolate. thanks for a great blog!!!

colleen @ the gift of mondays
    March 24, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Jerri Miller
    March 24, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Yes, I do have an aversion to loud noises. You are looking at it in the right way, though.  Be thankful your children are healthy enough to make noise!

Michele-Lyn Ault
    March 25, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Yes… I do have an aversion to one loud noise… the TV… and it goes off Mon-Fri here at our place… I find it so much calmer… and I am able to enjoy the laughing and the squeals and the discussions without competing with the Disney channel 🙂