12 In Book study

Made To Crave: {Week 10 – This Isn’t Fair!}

Today we are discussing Chapter 10 of Made to Crave.  If you are on a journey of health and weight loss, I would love for you to join in the conversation through comments.  If you wrote a post, link up below so that we can encourage one another on this journey.

This isn’t fair!

Do you know how many times I’ve cried this statement?  I am a wife to a thin man. He probably has clothes in his closet he can still wear back before we got married almost 24 years ago.  And my kids?  Well, they all purchase “slim” pants. Does that tell you anything?  Oh, I was there once.  A very long time ago.  And I know, having kids does change a woman’s body.  And I am not complaining about having kids.  I am blessed.  But why does this have to be so hard?  And now that I’ve waited beyond “mid-life” to try to get serious, it’s even harder.

<sigh>

Sorry.  I got off on a little bunny trail there.

Have you ever encountered temptation on your diet?  I am sure we all have.  And doesn’t it come in it’s form of sugary goodness right after you just begin, or when you are really struggling?  It’s not fair, is it?  But Satan will often make us look at our glasses half empty in an all out “it’s not fair” war against our desire to be healthy.

“Saying ‘it’s not fair’ has caused many a girl to toss aside what she knows is right for the temporary thrill of whatever it is that does seem fair.  But the next day the sun will rise as it has a habit of doing every day.  As a band of light becomes brighter and brighter, the realization of the choice she made the night before becomes clearer and clear.  Guilt floods her body.  Questions fill her mind.  Self-doubt wrecks her confidence.  And then comes the anger.  Anger at herself.  Anger at the object of her desire.  Anger even at a might God who surely could have prevented this.”  Made to Crave.

Friends, Satan does not want us to succeed in this journey.  His desire is that we would remain dissatisfied with ourselves, believing the lies that he has put inside our heads, and keeping our focus off of the fact that there is a strong and powerful God standing ready and willing to help us on our journey.  We cannot do this in our own strength.  This is a hard road, with many bumps, twists and turns along the way.  We need the hand of the Good Shepherd to lead us and guide us into all truth so that we can defeat him who would have us label ourselves as a failure.

In times of struggle and temptation, we must fill our minds and our mouths with truth.

“I am made for more.  I am made for victory”.  Made to Crave.

“I am more than a conqueror”. (Romans 8:37)

“With God all things are possible.”  (Matthew 19:26)

“Let the peace of God reign in your heart.” (Colossians 3:15)

“Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one.”  (Matthew 6:13)

God has given us the ability to rise above our challenges and cross the finish line.  But it takes perseverance.  And it takes realizing that in our weakness, God is made strong.  It’s only when we fully surrender to Him that He will give us the strength we need to continue the journey.

“But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”  (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)

Weakness doesn’t have to mean defeat.  But rather, it is an opportunity to experience God’s power firsthand.  I’ve taken another hard look at myself and my motivations this week.  I am so busy looking at everyone else, and how I think that they have it so easy, that I am unable to discipline myself to maintain any kind of consistency.  I know that only with God will I ever reach my goal, which right now seems so very far away?  But I am looking forward with hope.

How about you?  Are you ready to take God’s hand and look forward to the possibilities?

Please stop over and visit Venessa to encourage her on her journey.

Jen@A Drop in the Bucket
    March 24, 2012 at 4:13 am

I just have to say that I have the same thing with my husband.  Skinny guy, and he has had some clothes (well, actually I think I finally got him to get rid of them) from when I knew him back in high school!

March 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I know.  It’s so not fair.  Oops, trying not to say that!  Hee hee!

Vicki
    March 24, 2012 at 7:01 am

Thanks for your visit to my blog. Love your post. This is definitely my struggle, too, especially  since my thyroid was removed and medications aren’t always working. Let’s encourage each other. Our weakness is the very portal to His strength and provision.

March 24, 2012 at 5:43 pm

It must be so much harder with thyroid issues.  I just wish I had more motivation.  Yes, we will encourage one another along the way.

Genny Heikka
    March 24, 2012 at 10:51 am

I love the reminder that we are made for victory and that He is victorious! Satan can be so crafty, trying to hide the choices that will lead us to freedom, but if we stay vigilant and recognize temptation for what it is, somehow the choice that leads to the right path is clearer. I went to a conference last week and heard Kelly Minter speak, and I loved her reminder thst it is for freedom that Christ died to set us free. Not for slavery… For freedom! Good for you Barbie for the journey you are on. You are such an encouragement!

March 24, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I love that portion of scripture, “It is for freedom that Christ set me free”. I will need to remember that one.  Thanks my friend.

Lea
    March 24, 2012 at 11:44 am

Well, Barbie, I have been blessed to not have a weight issue, but certainly there are other issues in my life that I can apply this inspiration too.  Such truth and I wish you all the best on your healthy living and weight loss journey.  I can only imagine how difficult it must be.  Blessings to you !

Venessa
    March 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Love this post!

March 24, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Thanks Venessa!

March 24, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Thanks for visiting today Lea!  I always love your encouragement.

Sherrey Meyer
    March 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Barbie, meet another “larger than life” wife married to the Thin Man!  Bob can still wear his army fatigues and that’s been awhile ago.  To top it off, even as thin as he is he is diabetic, and this man maintains fantastic control over his diet, counting carbs, and his blood sugar.  Why can’t I have that discipline?  No, it isn’t because I’m weak, because in fact I’m a very strong woman in most things.  But I have this love/hate relationship with myself, and God knows it too and yet he waits for me to take his hand.  I must step out and closer to him so I can grasp that waiting hand of strength and courage.  Thanks for reminding me, Barbie.

March 27, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I pray for discipline every day.  And I am realizing for me that the lack thereof is centered in my own selfish desires.  To have what I want, when I want.  I am recognizing it for what it is and trying to conquer it.  Cheering you on my friend!