9 In Book study

Made to Crave: {Week 8 – Making Peace With My Body}

Today, we are discussing Chapter 8.  If you wrote a post, would you link up below so that we can encourage you along in your journey.

So, when I first began to read this chapter, all I could think of to say was, “yea, right”.  Ladies, can I just tell you I am so not in a place of having peace with my body.  I secretly wish I were a little taller, a lot thinner, with lighter hair and eyes.  But again, I am convicted, as every time I wish I looked differently,  I am telling the Lord that His creation is less than perfect.  And doesn’t He say that I was Fearfully and wonderfully made?

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  (Psalm 139:13-14)

Over the last few years, I have not made strides to take care of my body the way it should be cared for.  I will be the first to admit that I don’t get enough sleep, I don’t drink enough water, I could use some exercise and I battle emotional eating.  But as I’ve admitted before, these are all just excuses for not wanting to do the hard stuff.  When I asked the Lord to take my hand and walk with me on this journey, He did.  But somewhere along the way, I loosened my grip and am now walking with just a “pinky hold” on God’s grip.  And old patterns have returned.  I’ve had some good days, where I’ve tracked my food, drank my water and been good to myself.  But there still are too many days where I find myself stuffing my face to chase my emotions, or to try to push them down.  And then I feel guilty.  And then I pass the mirror and sigh in disbelief.  I drag myself to the scale and reluctantly step on.  “How did I end up here”?

“Define your week by obedience, not by a number of the scale.”

Although the scale can help to determine my progress, it does not tell me everything.  It can’t measure the amount of salt I ate.  It can’t tell if I am retaining water.  It can’t tell if I may have lost that pound, only to gain it back in muscle.  I have been tempted to stop weighing myself altogether, so as not to allow my mind to be messed with by numbers I don’t like to see.

I will never be satisfied by my looks.  Never.  I once saw an interview with a Top Model.  She was absolutely gorgeous.  I could not see a flaw on her. Yet, she was talking about how all she could see were her imperfections and how it drove her to binge and purge.  My heart just broke.  Beauty is temporary.  It does not last.  No matter what we do to look good, one day, our age will catch up with us.  It’s a fact.

The body God has given to me is good.  It’s not perfect and never will be.  But it is a gift, and one that I must learn to be thankful for.  And I want to faithfully take care of my body, by eating healthy, exercising, getting enough sleep and so on.

Will you pray with me today?  Try praying this Psalm of Thanksgiving for the bodies that God gave to us and mean it:

Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name.  Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefitswho forgives all your sin and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.  (Psalm 103:1-5)

Will you dig deep today and find your beautiful?  She’s in there.  You might have to dig deeper than you ever have, but I promise you that she’s in there, waiting to reveal herself to you!

Link up below and be sure to stop by Venessa’s and encourage her on this journey.

Charina
    March 10, 2012 at 2:31 am

Praying with you Barbie…

Just wrote about “embrace” in my blog with the same message as this embracing the beautiful us. Blessings!

March 10, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Thank you sweet friend.  I can’t wait to stop over to your blog to read.  I am so behind and trying to catch up with you all!

Charina
    March 10, 2012 at 2:31 am

Praying with you Barbie…

Anonymous
    March 10, 2012 at 6:04 am

I’ve been reading through Made To Crave also, and this was one chapter that really stood out to me. I’m one of the “skinny girls” the book talks about, so weight hasn’t been a problem most of my life. But now that I’m pregnant I’m putting on weight a lot faster than anyone recommends. I try to eat well, and only when I’m hungry, but I’m still attracting the weight like a magnet–and I’m afraid it isn’t good for baby or me. The last month I’ve started obsessing about getting on the scale and seeing where I am multiple times a day (as if that helps!).

That chapter brought tears to my eyes as I was reminded that God is in control of my weight. It’s my business to obey Him and take care of my body and my baby with healthy eating choices. It’s God’s business exactly how many lbs that works out to on the scale.

Thanks for stopping by my blog for 5 minute Friday. 🙂

March 10, 2012 at 10:29 pm

SophiaGrace, thank you for visiting.  I will pray and ask God to help you to make the best choices for you and your baby.  But please try to not worry about your weight.  I can’t bear the thought of you stepping on the scale every day.  You are pregnant and your body will put on weight.  Sure, there are probably healthier choices you can make.  I am going to ask Holy Spirit to help you!  I am here if you need an ear.  I’ve been there before – four times!

Caitlin
    March 10, 2012 at 11:30 am

Hi Barbie! you left beautiful, encouraging words on my blog a few weeks ago, and I’m just getting around to telling you thank you. You really blessed me!

“Define your week by obedience, not by a number of the scale.” Thank you so much for this wonderful truth! I can apply it to many areas of my life. It’s so easy for me to lose focus and fall back into performance rather than following the Lord’s voice, step by step. I love your perspective! This is something I hope to hold onto 🙂

be blessed today <3

March 10, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Thank you Caitlin.  So true about falling into performance mode.  I can tend to do that with everything I do in life.  Hopefully, I am learning to lean in and hear the voice of the Holy Spirit!  I’ll be praying for you.

Lyli@3dLessons4Life
    March 10, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Praying with you  — I just read chapter 9 this morning…. Lysa is challenging my thinking in so many ways!

March 10, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Thank you and I hope the book will continue to be a blessing to you.