17 In Book study

Made To Crave: {Week 9 – Exercise Hurts}

Today we are discussing Chapter 9 in Made to Crave.  If you wrote a post, I would love for you to link up to share your thoughts with us.  If you aren’t reading MtoC, but have written a post about your journey to health and weight loss, I would love to have you share it here.  We are here to encourage one another along this journey.

When I was younger, I was very healthy and fit.  I roller skated through my teen years, and ran track occasionally in high school.  I had no problem burning those extra calories.  It wasn’t until after I had children that exercise became something pretty non-existent from my life.  Besides walking on occasion, I just don’t get up and move very often.  Oh, I’ve joined the occasional gym, and had a short life span with Jazzercise.  And then there was the season where I invited Leslie into my living room each morning.  But after I had kids, it was hard to find the time to exercise.

And now?  Well, like the chapter said, exercise just makes me want to cry.  I am at a point physically where I can barely move without it hurting somewhere on my body.  My feet bother me the most, as my 5’2″ frame is too small to carry the weight of the excess poundage around my mid section.  And so for me, even walking is painful.  Instead of enduring the pain, I give up, before I even get started.

No pain, no gain.

A hard statement, but so true.  Good things sometimes only come into our lives once we’ve weathered the storm, endured the pain, held on to the bitter end.  Why should exercise be any different?  And if I were honest, I would know that this is another area in my life where God desires to have first place.

“Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.  I will praise you O LORD my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever”.   (Psalm 86:11-12)

An undivided heart.

When it comes to my body, I cannot live with divided loyalties.  I want to honor God with my body.  I don’t want to give in to cravings, desires or to the many excuses I give for not exercising.

“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore, honor God with your body”.   (1 Corinthians 6:19)

I just love this story that Lysa shares in the book:

Before the Holy Spirit was given to us and our bodies became the temples for God’s presence, God was present with His people in a house of worship called a temple.  The book of Haggai describes how one of the the first things God’s people did when they returned from exile in Babylon was to rebuild the temple.  They started with great enthusiasm and wonderful intentions but slowly slipped back into complacency and eventually stopped their work on the temple completely.  Other things seemed more urgent, more appealing to work on.  Here’s how God responds:

“Give careful thought to your ways.  You have planted much, but have harvested little.  You eat, but never have enough.  You drink, but never have your fill.  You put on clothes, but are not warm.  You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.”

This is what the LORD Almighty says:  “Give careful thought to your ways.  Go up into the mountains and bring down timber and build the house, so that I may take pleasure in it and be honored,” says the LORD.  (Haggai 1:2-8)

Oh the excuses that I have allowed myself to dwell on in order to not have to endure exercise.  But the Lord cautions to “give careful thought to my ways” and to make time to “build my house” so that He may be honored.  I must take time in my busy day to work exercise into my plan.  It’s necessary for both my physical and spiritual well being.  I am only given one chance in life to take care of my temple.  I’ve wasted enough time.  Now is the time to get moving!

How about you?  What do you think of when you the word exercise?  Feel free to share your tips in the comments below, or link up if you’ve written a post.  And be sure to stop over to visit Venessa and leave her some encouragement.

Glenda Childers
    March 16, 2012 at 3:35 am

This is a beautifully written and heartfelt post.  Thanks for sharing your journey.

Fondly,
    Glenda

March 16, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Thank you Glenda!  I appreciate you stopping by!

Nikki
    March 16, 2012 at 7:33 am

“I cannot live with divided loyalties.” I love that. and have never pondered that before when it comes to food and exercise. thank you for this!
    what do I think of when I hear the word exercise? my sister. who teaches it for a living and how I avoid it like the plague 🙂 I’ve finally accepted I’ll never be like her with all the spinning and boot camps. Instead, I find ways to make it fun for me. flying kites with my son, playing tag, taking him swimming (yes, even in a bathing suit ::Gulp::), riding bikes as a family — even if it is to go get ice cream. 🙂 at least I’m out and moving!

March 16, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I cannot take credit for the quote.  Straight from the book.  And I don’t know when the last time was I wore a bathing suit!

Kerri Smith
    March 16, 2012 at 10:07 am

great post…again! love your thoughts and your honesty!
    for me…I am with Nikki…but in my case the fitness trainer is my daughter. It is more important to find something you love, whether with the family or a friend…you are more apt to “do it” if you enjoy it…even if it is a bike ride to get ice cream(I’m so in on this one!!) 😉

March 16, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Okay, me, you and Nikki are going to go bike riding one day and get a big ice cream cone.  Kay?

carissa
    March 16, 2012 at 8:33 pm

you are on such a good journey to healthy wholeness. the Lord is going to bless your efforts. He will strengthen you, my dear!

March 16, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Thank you friend.  I love when you stop by!

Venessa
    March 16, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I am so thankful for you and your posts! I am always encouraged by you!!

March 17, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Thank you Venessa!

Dalia
    March 17, 2012 at 8:07 am

What a wonderful journey to health and wholeness.

March 17, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Thanks for stopping by Dalia!

Shanda Oakley
    March 17, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I actually LOVE exercise.  I ran marathons for years and thrived on extreme exercise.  Now I cannot do anything because of migraines. I never understood people making time for exercise.  Now i can walk but I don’t like walking.  So, I don’t do it.  Now I understand!  Thank you for the encouragement to keep going and making the effort.

March 17, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Hi Shanda.  Sorry about your migraines.  That has to be frustrating.  I am hoping to find time to walk a few days a week.  I know it’s something I have to do to be healthy!

charis
    March 17, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I understand the reality of exercising less with kids than before. I do find, however, that when I put forth the effort to exercise and simply get outside that I really do feel so much better and it helps my overall energy.