28 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Five Minute Friday: Real

I am so thankful to be linking up again with Lisa-Jo for the Five Minute Friday.  This is where we are given a prompt and then we write, for just 5 minutes, without worrying about perfection or whether it’s just right.  This writing exercise is good for my heart.  It forces me to pull from the deeper places.  No over thinking, just words freely flowing from my heart into yours!

Today’s Prompt:  Real

Ready….Set…Go!

© kameel - Fotolia.com

There was a time in my life when I was afraid to be real.  Caught somewhere in between the negative messages of childhood, the performance based mentality I carried into adulthood, and the standard placed upon me by this world, I hid the real me behind a mask.  I was afraid that once I exposed who I really was, they would know.  They would know what I’ve done.  They would know that I wasn’t beautiful, nor talented, nor extraordinary.  But rather, I was simply ordinary.  Or at least, this was my view.

But then He came along.  He gently persuaded me to take off my mask.  He already knew me, He said.  For I was made in His image and likeness.  Allowed to be real in front of His eyes of love, He spoke truth to my heart and reinforced how He saw me.  I learned to trust Him and in His presence there was no need for my mask, for wearing it would do me no good because He saw right through it.  He saw the real me.  And yet He still loved me.

I laid myself bare, tarnished and broken before the one who did not cast me aside.  There was no fear in His love.  I did not have to perform to earn His respect.  I do not have to do anything.  I am simply allowed to be the me He created me to be.

Today I choose to take off my mask and be real before the One who looks at me with burning eyes of love.

Stop.

Would you like to join us for the Five Minute Friday?  I promise it’s not scary.  Actually, I am sure you will love it!  Here is how you can play along:

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking

2. Link back here and invite others to join in.

3. Visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments.

Jennifer Camp
    May 3, 2012 at 11:06 pm

No fear, no need to perform . .  . surrendered and fully His.  Beautiful.  Thank you, friend.

May 6, 2012 at 11:34 pm

He accepts us just the way we are.  He loves us despite our faults.  So thankful for His love.

Loni
    May 3, 2012 at 11:12 pm

A “REAL Friend” indeed . . . .thank you for sharing!

May 6, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Thanks for visiting Loni!

Mary Bonner
    May 4, 2012 at 3:22 am

This is lovely, Barbie!  ”
    I am simply allowed to be the me He created me to be.” What a true gift!

May 6, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Sometimes I think it’s hard because I don’t really know who that “me” is.  I am still learning to love and accept the person He created me to be.  It’s a journey, isn’t it?

Erin Messing
    May 4, 2012 at 5:03 am

I do not have to do anything……He loves us, the messy, broken us and there is nothing we have to do. It’s been a struggle to accept that message and move out from behind the mask, yet when I do there is only healing. Beautiful words…..thank you.

May 6, 2012 at 11:35 pm

So thankful you are receiving healing in your season of struggle. God is for you!

Stacey29lincoln
    May 4, 2012 at 5:30 am

Unmasked and dearly loved girl!  What a great word on real today!

So fun to drop in on you today!

May 6, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I love to have you drop in Stacey!  Have a blessed week.

Kerri Smith
    May 4, 2012 at 6:22 am

I am so thankful the I have a God who excepts the real, the messy, the broken me and loves me anyway!!
    Such a beautiful post my friend!

May 6, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Me too Kerri!  Have a beautiful week!

Ro elliott
    May 4, 2012 at 6:30 am

I love this post…and I know this journey as well…I love His burning eyes of  Love…have a sweet weekend

May 6, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I can just imagine what His eyes look like, when He looks at me.  Ah, there is such deep passion there!  Have a blessed week.

Maureen
    May 4, 2012 at 9:11 am

Hi neighbor! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog – enjoyed yours, too. That performance based mentality is a tough one to conquer. One that resurfaces in varied forms. Able to be real before Him, beautiful. Thank you. I look forward to these Friday Fives, reading the different perspectives, the different hearts of all these women. Fun!

May 6, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Hi Maureen!  Thanks for stopping by.  I’ve met so many wonderful bloggers through this link up, all with beautiful hearts for the Lord!  I hope we will connect again soon!

shannon g
    May 4, 2012 at 9:40 am

🙂 beautiful! so true of so many of us! I love that we can be US with HIM! 🙂 thank you

May 6, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Thanks for stopping by Shannon.  Have a blessed week.

charis
    May 4, 2012 at 10:20 am

wow, i really love this.  when i was a senior in high school we had to write an about me poem and i wrote mine about “the face behind the mask.”  i drew masks on the final copy as well.  this has always been an imagery thing i connected with, and i can happily say that i hide a lot less often now than i did back then… still tempted though when i am feeling weak and insecure.  but! He is always there for me and encourages me to take it off!!

May 6, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I think I’ve worn them most of my life.  I find that there are still moments where I put them on, and run and hide.  But He always finds me.  He sees right through the mask, the core of the “real” me. He calls me out, from behind that mask, to walk forward, knowing He’s holding my hand every step of the way.

soulstops
    May 4, 2012 at 10:32 am

Isn’t it wonderful how He loves us into taking off our masks? I can relate. A real encouraging write…thanks, Barbie 🙂 Blessings, friend.

May 6, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Praying you have a beautiful week Dolly!

Kelli
    May 4, 2012 at 10:52 am

Oh, the power of His burning love for us, for me. It is transforming me into the real girl He knows, no more hiding… finding myself in His eyes of love and acceptance, no one elses!

There is no fear in His love… thinking on this today and daring to live in His love, set free from the bondage of fear! Thanks Barbie, beautiful words! 😉

May 6, 2012 at 11:42 pm

His love always transforms.  Matter of fact, I cannot be transformed without it.  I am thankful for His gentle peeling away of the layers that I cannot get rid of on my own.

Casey
    May 4, 2012 at 2:37 pm

To lose that mask…and just be who God created us to be.  That should be freeing right?  God give me the strength to be who you want me to be….no mask  Great write!

May 6, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Thank you for visiting Casey!

BethFerrell
    May 5, 2012 at 11:53 am

Beautifully written Barbie.  I can definitely relate.  <3

May 6, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Praying for you my friend!