Five Minute Friday: See

Today I am taking part in the Five Minute Friday.  This is where I get to write a post, without thinking too hard.  No heavy editing (because well, someones I do a small edit or two) and no backtracking.  Just words freely flowing from the depth of my heart yours.

Today’s prompt:  See

Ready…Set…Go!

The sun peaks through the window. It’s early morning and I pry my eyes open.  I move toward the warmth, pulling back the shade, my eyes now squinting from the glare of the sun shining brightly through my window.  I move away, as the brightness will surely overtake me.

Eyes wide opened now I ask Him to show me His beauty.  I nearly trip from the pile of shoes on the staircase, as I move toward the kitchen only to see dishes laying dirty in the sink from the night before.  Piles of laundry overtake my couch and I ask, “where is the beauty in all of this”.  I hear Him, ever so gently say, “look a little deeper”.  But I cannot see.  My eyes do not focus on what beauty is promised to lay amongst the chaos that I see before me.

Discouraged I cry out once again, “Lord, show me Your beauty.  I must see You.”

And again, in a still small voice, He responds,

“Do not look with your eyes.  Look with your heart.  For your heart sees the beauty that the eye cannot”.

And I am overcome.  My heart yearns for this beauty.  And so I cry once again,

“Lord, open the eyes of my heart that I might see Your beauty.”

Stop.

Would you like to participate in this free flowing writing exercise?  Here’s how:

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..

1. Jen@intendtolive.com says:

Beautiful, as usual. Such a well written look at what it is to be looking, searching and asking for his help.

2. Dawn Paoletta says:

Oh, Barbie- I see much beauty in you dear friend! I woke up early myself and stacked the dirty dishes…there’s laundry piled in the bedroom because I got sidetracked with a writing project…actually two last night. But it is all beauty around us! Praying for you this morning!

• Barbie says:

Thank you my friend, and for your sweet comment on my Facebook post. I am realizing by committing to blogging my prayers each day, I jump in and the water is above my head. I am rethinking how I am going to proceed, while still praying!

3. LauraWells says:

The piles of our home do make me frustrated. But it is life. It is living. And you are right, there is beauty in it.

4. bethinnc says:

You are just precious Barbie! You know — often when I grumble (when cleaning up after my family members) — I am often reminded to be thankful that I have them to clean up behind. It is a matter of perspective isn’t it? Love you.

5. Ro elliott says:

Barbie…I love this…see with your heart… I wrote of my own blindness…He is faithful to give us new hearts and new vision…blessings as we wakeup to all the beauty He gives~

6. Mary Bonner says:

Oh, Barbie…I can relate. It is so hard to see past the chaos and mess. Hard to see beyond the “right now – right here” Thank you for sharing yourself in this way.

I thought of you a lot this week as my sister just sold her house in Fremont. 🙂

Blessings to you~~
    Mary

7. Laura says:

“Do not look with your eyes. Look with your heart.” What a beautiful thought, and if I could only do this more faithfully…

8. Child of God says:

Oh yes, I sure do relate. It take a lot of effort, sometimes, to see past the dirt into the beauty. Just this morning I woke up with all of this work before me thinking how will I ever get it all done. Being gone from the farm for two weeks allows for a LOT of accumulating work like grass 2 feet tall, a garden only half planted, horses needing to be groomed and groomed, along with the ever shedding dogs and a house full of lively, active youth coming over for the weekend. There are floors to wash, rooms to prepare, food to cook, and the list goes on….not to mention the final exams to do and prepare for.

Beauty, yes there is beauty in amongst all of this mess and sometimes, like you, I cry out to the Lord, ‘help me see the beauty in all of this. ‘

Seriously relating to you this morning…

• Barbie says:

I referred to my home as a “pig sty” the other day, and the Lord reminded me that I must be thankful, even amongst the chaos. We lost our home 2 years ago, but He made provision to rent. We could have been homeless. Oh Lord, change my heart and my perspective.

9. Stephani says:

Too often when I wake up to dishes in the sink and laundry piled high, I see my failure, but I am learning about finding God in the drudgery of life, and there truly is beauty in the labor that we do. I’m thankful I have food to go on dishes and clothes to go on this body. I can praise God in the labor when I recognize what the labor means.

• Barbie says:

Oh I am right there with you my friend in seeing my failure more than His goodness. Praying our eyes are opened wide to His beauty this week!

10. Debbie says:

Barbie, you have such a gift for words even in this five minute piece. My prayer is also that the eyes of my heart would be opened to see things and people as He sees them.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie

• Barbie says:

Oh my friend, I’ve missed you! Thank you for stopping by my space today. I am so behind in catching up with my favorites. Hope to visit soon!

11. Kerri Smith says:

so beautiful! open the eyes of my heart, Lord…open the eyes of my heart…I want to see you!
    oh how i needed this today…thank you my friend!

12. Michele-Lyn says:

Is this your first time here? Or maybe a while? It is a beautiful, encouraging community 🙂

Your words move me, compel me to pray with you the same — “open wide my eyes of faith so that I may see the beauty of You, Lord.”

I love your heart…

13. Barbie says:

I am write there with you my friend! He will show us how to see with our heart!

14. What a strong prayer seeking His heart! Praying that with you.

15. joyfullyinhim says:

Wow, incredible! You spoke the words I needed to hear today… see with the heart. How did I miss this? An absolutely beautiful 5 minutes, thank you.

16. Chelsea Brown says:

Five minute Friday is always one of my favorites. By the way, thanks for the comments left on my blog: your 1st daughter’s wedding this month! I will definitely be in prayer for you for that 🙂