18 In Faith/ Scripture Study

I Lack Nothing: {Finding Peace In Psalm 23}

© photographe25700 - Fotolia.com

I am continuing my journey of Finding Peace in Psalm 23 with Kerri over at A Simple Princess.  Today, we are discussing the final portion of verse 1,

The Lord is my shepherd.  I lack nothing.  (Common English Bible)

I lack nothing.

lack – the state of being without or not having enough of something (n)
or    – be without or deficient in (verb)

God promises that I will always have everything that I need.  My Shepherd is a constant presence in my life.   There is never a time when He will forsake me or forget about me.  It doesn’t matter what I do, whether I fall short, or fail miserably.  He is in for the long haul.  He is committed to me and has my best interest at heart.  And scripture reminds me that God delights to give good gifts to His children.

For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.  (Psalm 84:11)

Utterly helpless and left to wander, sheep rely on their Shepherd as their sole caregiver.  They are fed, protected, lost when found, and gently guided back to pasture when they stray.  As My Good Shepherd, the LORD meets all of my basic needs in life.  I have food, shelter, clothing, and the care and protection of the One who keeps me.

And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.  (Philippians 4:19 NLT)

Aside from my basic needs, the LORD has also blessed me with material possessions — financial provision, a lovely rental home, cars, etc.   But my sole satisfaction and the richness and fullness I receive from life comes only from the person of Jesus Christ.  He gives of Himself freely.  He pours Himself out so that I can come and drink and never be thirsty again.

I have peace, because He is the Prince of Peace.
I am healed, because He is Jehovah Rophe, the God who heals me.
I am free, because He came to set the captives free.
I have hope, because He gives hope to the hopeless.

The LORD, He is my Shepherd.  I will not lack.  If He feeds and takes care of the birds of the air, how much more shall He provide for my needs?

Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are?  (Matthew 6:26 NLT)

I would love to hear your thoughts on this portion of scripture.  Will you share in the comments below?  And please stop by and visit my friend Kerri and read her thoughts as well.

A Simple Princess

Stuffcldbewrse
    May 1, 2012 at 10:04 am

The birds do not look like they fret at all….I Lack nothing also!

May 2, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Thank you for stopping by!

Jackie
    May 1, 2012 at 11:51 am

This is beautiful Barbie!  I cherish Psalm 23 and read it often as part of my quiet time with Him.  Oh how He loves you and me….providing everything we need and tenderly leading us along life’s journey….where would we be without Him!

Have a wonderful week!

HE IS FAITHFUL!
    Hugs and Sweet Blessings!
    Jackie

May 2, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Thank you Jackie!  I pray you have a blessed remainder of your week!

Child of God
    May 1, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Hi Barbie,
    I lack nothing.
    That is immense! I read a missionary story, (I now forget the name of the book and author) but he wrote on how God provided for him. He stepped out in faith to go to a very remote part of some jungle and deliver the Gospel. He had no money, no food only the clothes on his back and God provided every single step of the way. It was not an easy journey, but eventually, the whole community that he ended up witnessing to accepted Christ as their Savior and went from a hostile tribe to a very gentle tribe.

If we trust fully in Him we will lack nothing.

Blessings sister,

May 2, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Thank you for sharing this powerful testimony.  I keep thinking about how I’ve not known lack like so many others out there.  God is so faithful!

Jamie Hess
    May 1, 2012 at 2:03 pm

So encouraged by your words today!  I wonder why do I worry so much?  It is true – He will NEVER leave us or forsake us.  I need to trust that truth more.

May 2, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Lean into Him Jamie!  He’s right there beside you!

Kerri Smith
    May 1, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I love your thoughts on this piece of scripture! Matthew 6:26 is such a perfect verse to put it all into perspective….He takes care of every need of the birds, so why should I doubt that He would not provide for my needs as well?
    Blessings, friend!

May 2, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Thank you for allowing me to journey alongside you my friend!

Lindy Kaden
    May 2, 2012 at 6:43 am

Psalm 23 was the Psalm in the lectionary this week.  This was a great reminder of that.  Thanks.

May 2, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Thanks for stopping by Lindy!

Deb
    May 2, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Barbie, This is beautiful! I lack NOTHING! How could I ever feel sorry for myself? He is so faithful! Thanks for this wonderful reminder!

charis
    May 2, 2012 at 4:34 pm

i love this part.  i love the translation “i shall not be in want.”  i think about what it means to be in want and the fact that He will take care of all my needs and i will not be there because He is my good Shepherd.  great meditation for the heart to learn to trust.

May 2, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I was just thinking this morning about something I “had need of”, and then I remembered that I have everything I need.  Reading Psalm 23 really puts that all into perspective for me.  All I really need is Jesus.  He takes care of the rest!

Zillah
    August 29, 2012 at 12:17 am

I’ve been meditating on “God, my Shepherd” this week and this blog complements wonderfully to what I have been learning from the Lord. Can I post this on facebook?

August 29, 2012 at 6:30 am

Absolutely. Just please link back to this blog post. Have a great day!