9 In Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: Help My Unbelief!

20 So they brought the boy. But when the evil spirit saw Jesus, it threw the child into a violent convulsion, and he fell to the ground, writhing and foaming at the mouth.  21 “How long has this been happening?” Jesus asked the boy’s father.  He replied, “Since he was a little boy. 22 The spirit often throws him into the fire or into water, trying to kill him. Have mercy on us and help us, if you can.”  23 “What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.”  24 The father instantly cried out, I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!  (Mark 9:20-24)

I was challenged last night at our Encounter God Service as I listened to my friend Gina preach a message about believing.  Have any of you ever tripped over verse 24 before? I know I have.  I never understood how someone can say they believe, but ask for help for their unbelief in the same sentence.  But what I learned last night was that our times of unbelief are not necessarily that we do not believe.  But it’s that our faith is weak.  So when this father asked Jesus to help his unbelief, he was admitting his weak faith.

I get it now.  There are some things I have been believing God for, and others that I believed Him for in the past, that I sort of gave up on.  And I thought perhaps I had stopped believing in those things, those dreams that God put in my heart.  But I do believe.  It’s just that sometimes my faith is weak.  And that’s when I need God to help me to have the faith to dig deeper to pull those things, those dreams, out of me once again.

Lord, help my unbelief!

I would love for you to join me for Fresh Brewed Sundays.  This is where we share a scripture with just simple insight.  No heavy words necessary.  Feel free to use the button in your post and link up below!

Jennifer Camp
    May 19, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Oh, me too, friend. And I love Jesus’ response, “if you think I can?” Wow. Beautiful. Thank you, Barbie.

Wendy @ ECTaS
    May 20, 2012 at 1:27 am

“Lord I believe, help thou my unbelief” — yes, I’ve been here!  I’ve known what God’s Word says, known God’s Word it is true and reliable, yet somehow my faith wasn’t able to take hold of it and stand upon it.  It’s times like this, I pray this prayer: “Lord I believe, help thou my unbelief”… so glad you shared this today.

Have a great week 😀

Joan
    May 20, 2012 at 3:49 am

Barbie – I have prayed this same prayer (wrote about it once). I know Jesus is able, I sometimes struggle with “if”.

Shelly Miller
    May 20, 2012 at 4:57 am

My faith is often weak when it is for something regarding myself. I can have faith that moves mountains for other people. Thanks for this insight today, hope you have a beatiful day of worship with our Saviour.

Mary
    May 20, 2012 at 6:45 am

Hello, this is my first time to visit !!  Love your message today, so many of us find ourselves crying out to our Lord…I Believe, I Believe…

Nikki
    May 20, 2012 at 6:53 am

I’m with Shelly. My faith is bold when it comes to others…. but myself. I struggle.
    beautiful post! Yes, Father, help my unbelief!

Jean Wise
    May 20, 2012 at 11:04 am

This is a breath prayer I frequently pray.  Lovely words!

Laurie Collett
    May 20, 2012 at 11:52 am

Praise God that His love and power are infinite, and that we can believe through the indwelling Holy Spirit.
    Love in Him,
    Laurie

Kerri Smith
    May 21, 2012 at 3:25 pm

oh my friend…I am right there with you!! oh Lord, help me overcome my unbelief!
    beautiful post!